Uilleann Pipes dying in Ireland?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
feadogin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Uilleann Pipes dying in Ireland?

Post by feadogin »

fel bautista wrote:
feadogin wrote: I felt like I was in some neighborhood in East Oakland. :lol:

Justine
Hey what about East Oakland???? That's against the Berkeley hills????
Hi Fel,

I have nothing against East Oakland. I am just scared when I see 20 guys with 40 ouncers standing on the corner watching me go by. Or was that in Ireland? :lol:

Justine
Royce

Post by Royce »

feadogin wrote:
fel bautista wrote:
feadogin wrote: I felt like I was in some neighborhood in East Oakland. :lol:

Justine
Hey what about East Oakland???? That's against the Berkeley hills????
Hi Fel,

I have nothing against East Oakland. I am just scared when I see 20 guys with 40 ouncers standing on the corner watching me go by. Or was that in Ireland? :lol:

Justine
I'm more scared when I see 20 guys with 40 ouncers standing on the corner watching me go by on Castro St for Halloween. And I'm not talking about Malt Liquor.

Royce
snoogie

Post by snoogie »

feadogin wrote: BTW, is it just me or, is NPU in kind of a scary neighborhood?

Justine
I went looking for NPU when my wife and I were there a year ago. The lady at the hotel we were staying at advised us not to go there after dark as the neighborhood is a bit "dodgey".

With an address, its not too hard to find..but I agree the sign makes it hard to spot. Fortunately, I recognized the building from the artwork on the NPU magazine.

-gary
There is no try, only do or not do. - Yoda
tompipes
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by tompipes »

BTW, is it just me or, is NPU in kind of a scary neighborhood? I saw lots of people kind of hanging out on the street and what looks like a housing project nearby
They didn't get the building that cheap for no good reason. That is horrendous syntax I know, but you get the point.
In the early days of NPU being in Henrietta St. the boys would conviene to the pub on the corner for pints after each meeting. One night, on his way home, Andy Conroy was attacked by two local yokels looking to mug an elderly chap for money. The 2 scumbags in question didn't know that Andy had a black belt in Karate and they ended up with 40 shades of shight kicked outa themselves. They got a night in hospital courtisy of the great Mr. Conroy too!!

Tommy
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

tompipes wrote:they ended up with 40 shades of shight kicked outa themselves.
That is exquisite! I nearly choked on my coffee! :lol:

PD.
brianc

Post by brianc »

tompipes wrote: One night, on his way home, Andy Conroy was attacked by two local yokels looking to mug an elderly chap for money. The 2 scumbags in question didn't know that Andy had a black belt in Karate and they ended up with 40 shades of shight kicked outa themselves.

Are you serious? Is that really true?

Heee hee hahhahahaaaaaaaaa I LOVE IT!
:D
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Andy was very worried about burglars and muggers etc. AT 80 he got himself a black-belt and fair play to him.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

tompipes wrote:The 2 scumbags in question didn't know that Andy had a black belt in Karate and they ended up with 40 shades of shight kicked outa themselves.
...that'll teach 'em a little respect for their elders. There's a song in this....somewhere...40 shades of sh*t.
L42B

Post by L42B »

Orriginaly Posted By Glands
That would apply to much of Ireland. I went on several wild goose chases this past two weeks looking for places, with maps, and using signposts, as I have done before on many occasions. It happens driving on a main road, a sign identifies and points to an ancient site of interest, a turn is made, and the site is never located...even after back tracking.
I know what your talking about. Roadsigns in Ireland seem to follow Einstiens theory of relativity. The question is relative to what? There was one insident in my travells where the kilomaters where completely different on the tako meatre when we arrived, to what was signed.

L42B :)
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

Just for the record, there is no Catholic cathedral in Dublin. There are two cathedrals (Christ Church and St Patrick's), both of which have been Church of Ireland since the reformation.

The Catholic community is served by a 'pro-cathedral', a temporary arrangement which has lasted for something approaching two centuries as far as I know. The pro-cathedral is in Marlborough Street and is of no great architectural merit.

I suspect that the C of I cannot afford even one cathedral at this stage and would be happy to hand one of them over to the Catholics, but they've probably missed the window of opportunity because the Catholic church probably couldn't afford the upkeep at this stage either.

But the acoustics in St Patrick's would probably be great for pipers, so maybe we should start a fund...
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
glands

Post by glands »

I thought the proCathedral was all catholic now...interesting
gregorygraham

Post by gregorygraham »

Forgive me but this thread is starting to irritate me. I thought individuals who play an instrument like the UPs might be more culturally sensitive. I appear to have been mistaken.

Firstly, with respect to NPU being located in a "dodgey" neighbourhood, did any of you know that Henrietta Street is Dublin's oldest intact Georgian Street. Yes, it is a bit run down. Passage of time will do that. The street is absolutely magnificent, as is the house in which NPU is housed. At the end of the street opposite NPU is the King's Inns, home of Ireland's Barristers and the King's Inns Library. Both magnificent buildings. Having a house on Henrietta Street I think is a real asset to NPU. Yes, the neighbourhood is rough, however, I parked there for Tuesday night lessons for about a year and a half without incident. Ironically, my car was stolen and burned out by joy-riders when it was parked in Sandymount when I was visiting my in-laws in Sandymount. Sandymount is supposedly one of Dublin's toniest neighbourhoods.

Secondly, the complaint about the building not being adequately sign posted. If you find that a problem, perhaps you should stick to Arby's and Denny's on U.S. interstate highways.

Sorry for the rant, but could we not raise the tone in these discussions and not sound so ignorant?
Gregory Graham
Toronto
djm

Post by djm »

<wipe_nose_on_sleeve>Snrrrrk! Oh yeah?</wipe_nose_on_sleeve> :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
brianc

Post by brianc »

:lol:
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Henrietta St could be Disneyworld for the Georgian architecture crowd; the neighborhood has been and still is very unsafe. Be careful! Good idea to call ahead to see if someone is there and for assistance on ideas for parking. Leaving stuff in your vehicle, in plain sight, is just asking for trouble in Dublin (or anywhere really). Turning up at that front door (that can seem like a moat drawbridge) at odd times looking to see if someone is there might not be the best plan.

NPU has maintained a low profile for lots of reasons; the neighborhood probably being a very good reason. The building has never tried to attract anyone but piper visitors, clearly avoiding courting tour buses but also ceding all of the people in between.