Fake Music?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Planck
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Fake Music?

Post by Planck »

I was perusing a sheet music site and came across "fake music". The books have chords and melodies. I have taught myself to read simple music, but having very little knowledge, and less ability, I am wondering if fake music puts music in a format I could follow/play from?

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated,
Thanks, and have a smooth day,
John
Lowering property values by playing my whistle in the backyard.
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Fake Music?

Post by Bloomfield »

Planck wrote:I was perusing a sheet music site and came across "fake music". The books have chords and melodies. I have taught myself to read simple music, but having very little knowledge, and less ability, I am wondering if fake music puts music in a format I could follow/play from?

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated,
Thanks, and have a smooth day,
John
Fake books or real books are collections of tunes (usually standards in jazz, pop, showtunes) where only the melody line and the chords are written. The name derives from musicians "faking it" when called upon to play that particular song, which the books are designed to help do.

So, fake music is in no different format than other simple music.
/Bloomfield
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Bloomy's right.

Interestingly enough, there's a lass at our session who has the Fiddler's Fake Book

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/bookse ... 386&itm=15

I don't know why this is called a "Fake book"..."tune book" would be better...it's a pretty good book.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Wanderer wrote:Bloomy's right.

Interestingly enough, there's a lass at our session who has the Fiddler's Fake Book

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/bookse ... 386&itm=15

I don't know why this is called a "Fake book"..."tune book" would be better...it's a pretty good book.
I think that's it's used mostly as a tune book, though I've heard one talented violinist who didn't know any fiddle tunes play out of it and do a wonderful job.

Many of the tunes are not just the basic melodies, as you might expect in a real fake book. Most are based on actual performances, including some by extremely proficient Bluegrass fiddlers, like Kenny Baker, Byron Berline, Bobby Hicks, and Buddy Spicher. (There are a fair number of Irish, Scottish, and Shetlandish[tm] tunes from the like of Planxty, the Bothy Band, the Chieftains, and Boys of the Lough. It seems that quite a few versions are attributed to a band, or to a "name" performer, rather than to the actual fiddler. I even saw one, Lady on the Island, attributed to Mary Bergin, apparently from Feadoga Stain.)

I've been carrying around a copy for about 20 years (just replaced the totally disintegrated original last year), as it's also a good quick source of guitar chords when you hit a really odd tune, which is a typical fake book function.

There's a version of the book that includes mandolin tablature, and another with guitar tab--though none are written as capoed, making it somewhat less useful for Bluegrass and Old-Timey.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

The Fiddlers Fake book is a wonderful source for many fine tunes.
The chord sequence for the Westphalia Waltz lifts the tune up to a whole other level.

An essential addition to all sheet music collections.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I've often wondered why publishers use the term 'fake' for books that are really just tune books. Here's my guess. They are trying to market to people who need the music for gigs they play but can't or don't want to immerse themselves in the style of music involved. Either that or they're trying to suggest that it's easier than you might have expected.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

I believe the term "fake book" comes from jazz, where the musicians are called upon to do far more than merely play the melody straight up, or to play guitar chords.

With a fakebook, they can quickly "get" the tune and a chord structure so as to begin playing off it, creating a complex arrangement on the fly.

If you're a fiddler playing the melody straight, it isn't faking, but if you're a trombone player trying to come up with a part on the fly while someone else carries the melody, you're faking.

~~~

The term "faking" (or "chording") is also used in piano, and may ultimately be the source. It's playing the melody of a tune while using your other fingers to thump out the chord every bar. You're not playing a complete piano arrangement, but you're creating something fast that works.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Joe_Atlanta

Post by Joe_Atlanta »

Punchline of dozens of musicians jokes has the piano player saying: "Hum me a few bars and I'll fake it."

As a side note of surreality, the bible of jazz standards is called "The Real Book" and pickup, unrehearsed jazz performances are often called Real Book gigs.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Joe_Atlanta wrote:Punchline of dozens of musicians jokes has the piano player saying: "Hum me a few bars and I'll fake it."

As a side note of surreality, the bible of jazz standards is called "The Real Book" and pickup, unrehearsed jazz performances are often called Real Book gigs.
Fiddlers might prefer a reel book.
Reasonable person
Walden
Joe_Atlanta

Post by Joe_Atlanta »

Walden wrote:Fiddlers might prefer a reel book.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

s1m0n wrote:
With a fakebook, they can quickly "get" the tune and a chord structure so as to begin playing off it, creating a complex arrangement on the fly.
By that definition, New Orleans jazz and Kansas City big band head arrangements would be faking. Well, I suppose the term is more recent than those styles.

I've played in a traditional jazz band in which the banjo player didn't show so they asked me to sub on guitar with no rehearsal. They'd just hand me a chord book and hope that and my ear would get me through. I call that faking. Even worse, I once played in a rock band where we had to replace our bass player with no notice. We didn't ahve a chord book. We got a guy who simply played largely by ear, sliding onto and off notes that he guessed wrong while I whispered unexpected chord changes in his ear. Nobody seemed to notice. I must say it was a brilliant performance.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I've had the Fiddler's Fake Book for years. Great reference.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Planck

Post by Planck »

Thanks, I'll just keep faking it.
Lowering property values by playing my whistle in the backyard.