Electronic Graffiti

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Do you think the internet has reduced the amount of graffiti that you've seen on public walls?

There has been less graffiti on public walls since the internet became popular.
21%
The amount of graffiti on public walls has not significantly changed since the internet became popular.
21%
I've never really paid attention to graffiti so I really wouldn't know.
29%
I refuse to answer this and think that Will needs to get to sleep.
29%

Total votes: 24

The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

A lot less here in our gritty urban areas. It was the worst in the late 80s and early-to-mid 90s. It used to be part of the pattern. Get some malt liquor and other substances, go tag a soundwall, shoot off a weapon (optional) and peel away in their cars. That was the pattern in my old neighborhood.

I figure that it just got too mainstream, like punk rock... . We still have the gangbangers, though, maybe they got tired of breathing the fumes.

I don't watch rap videos, but I wonder if they show people tagging anymore?

I also question if those guys even have the attention span to learn to type and use basic computer skills. True, they could hyper-focus on their designs, but so do six-years olds on cat drawings.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

It's interesting (to me at least) to see how quickly this thread morphed into a discussion of street gangs. I admit, after some reflection, that it doesn't suprise me because gangs use graffiti as their calling card. And I've seen plenty of it when traveling into the city. However, I grew up in a very small town in the midwest (or south if you read my son's almanac) and the type of work that gangs produce just was not seen. Sure, we had our bad boys who scrawled obscenities on public restroom walls (and even on the bathroom walls of my catholic grammar school), but there was never anything done with spray cans and it certainly wasn't out in the open and in large letters for the world to see. Our vandalism was more along the lines of shooting up rural mailboxes with a shotgun or a .22, or just blowing the things to smithereens with an m-80. So when I started this thread I hadn't really considered the strong gang connotations that most people give to graffiti.

Perhaps if we could just get past the gang activity and look more at the wittier sayings that have been found on our public walls . . . :)

Let's see some limericks and other verse. I know that we have the talent out there.

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

One of my favorites:

...I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Not technically graffiti, but terrifically funny note on a bathroom wall. One of the toilets in our office was malfunctioning and the administrator had a plumber fix it. She then wrote a note and put it on the wall next to the toilet: "If this toilet acts up again, let me know."

A day later this was written underneath:

"It's acting up again. It just called me a fat ass."

Susan

(Apologies to your son, Will)
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

susnfx wrote:"It's acting up again. It just called me a fat ass."
:lol:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Will O'B

Post by Will O'B »

susnfx wrote: "It's acting up again. It just called me a fat ass."

Susan

(Apologies to your son, Will)
Quite alright. That term is actually pretty mild in my book, although we generally use "rear end" around here. What I was referring to were words of the four letter variety.

Oh, that was a good one, Susan. :D And I've always liked that one too, Joseph.

Will O'Ban

Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Will O'B wrote:So when I started this thread I hadn't really considered the strong gang connotations that most people give to graffiti.

Perhaps if we could just get past the gang activity and look more at the wittier sayings that have been found on our public walls . . . :)
I admit that when I voted, I hadn't yet read the thread, and assumed we were talking about gang-related graffiti. That's really the only kind of stuff I see 'tagged' on walls anywhere.

As for the kinds of things written in bathrooms, I'm afraid I don't see much of it either. I really only see public restrooms very often when making the trip from Dallas to Houston, and mostly what I've seen in there are (assumedly) gay males leaving descriptions and phone numbers for hopeful hookups. I say "assumedly" because you can't discount the possiblity that in at least some cases, someone's may have left a friend's or enemy's phone # for harrassment or prank purposes.

I haven't really seen any humorous or political discourse in public restrooms...really ever. Maybe I've just been unlucky ;)
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

A few years ago, on the inside door of an elevator in the research building where I work someone had scrawled:

"Jesus Saves."

A day or two later someone else had written below it:

"Moses Invests."

A subtle religious/economic comentary, I thought.
Mike
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Um. Is this supposed to be funny?
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Will O'B

Post by Will O'B »

geek4music wrote:Um. Is this supposed to be funny?
Seems to be an echo with some of these posts . . . :)

Are we perhaps trying to increase our thread count? I generally just buy more upscale sheets. :)

Will O'Ban

Will O'B

Post by Will O'B »

Wanderer wrote: I haven't really seen any humorous or political discourse in public restrooms...really ever. Maybe I've just been unlucky ;)
While I enjoy the wit and humor in the type of graffiti that we're talking about, I still find the marked up walls to be gross and disgusting. So in that respect I don't think you're missing anything.

Curiously enough, our campus radio station was housed in what was once the student union many years before. (Ok, that isn't the curious part . . . read on . . .) The building was actually a large two story house and sort of a campus icon because of its history. A new student union was built and the radio station was in the basement of this older building. Other smaller offices (like stenographic, etc.) were located upstairs. The university had plans to raze the building after the school year and pave over the land to create a parking lot. (What else do you do with a campus icon, right? :boggle: ) With just several weeks left in the term the university's administration let us open up the campus radio station's walls to students with magic markers. There was a lot of very creative art work, epigrams and verse. Strangely enough the disgusting feeling that pervades a washroom with graffiti didn't exist in the radio station. This truly had a feel of folk art like you hear some people speak of when referring to graffiti. Perhaps the walls in the radio station didn't project a dirty atmosphere because this was a sanctioned activity rather than some act of vandalism? I don't really know.

This was years before the internet and quite a group of students turned out to "post" their views of the world on these walls. I just wonder if the same situation happened today whether there would still be that kind of a turn out to mark on some walls that are scheduled to be torn down in three months time.

Will O'Ban

TyroneShoelaces

Post by TyroneShoelaces »

I think thats an interesting sociological question - about the internet and all. But I can't give you any kind of definitive answer. Sorry.
ever been mugged by a quaker?
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Two that still make I giggle:

God Is Dead - Fred

Fred is Dead - God

and then (which probably dates me!)

Henry Kissinger should be bloody well hung! - Joe
and scrawled underneath
He is, my dear, he is - Mrs Kissinger
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
emmline

Post by emmline »

GaryKelly wrote: Henry Kissinger should be bloody well hung! - Joe
and scrawled underneath
He is, my dear, he is - Mrs Kissinger
Joe should have known better and used "hanged." But then there'd be no joke.