Castlebay Irish Pub session--Annapolis, MD

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
emmline
antispam: No

Castlebay Irish Pub session--Annapolis, MD

Post by emmline »

Though it's a rare thing for me to drag myself out of the house post-primetime, I'm glad I did tonight.
This is Lee Marsh (enjoy your music!) and a fraction of the usual crew at the Castlebay Pub. Lee tells me 8-12 musicians are more the norm, but Jeff and I would have enjoyed this quartet immensely even without the Bass on Draft.
Lee claims that his whistling skills are not up to session level--he is, he says, a "professional beginner," so here he's playing bodhran, and I heard some nifty licks from his guitar between sets.
These guys were great and deserve recognition--maybe Lee can supply names.

On the right, Lee on bodhran. The guitarist also played Irish flute.

The fiddler here sometimes played concertina.
Last edited by emmline on Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ro3b
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ro3b »

That's Jim Masche, whose last name I always misspell, on guitar, Spencer Nitchie on fiddle, and Patrick Cavanaugh on banjo. Great guys all.
LeeMarsh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LeeMarsh »

It was great to meet Emily, even if it was an off night. In part due to half the core group missing and in part due to competition with the Red Sox fans.

The core group is Jim (Moshee), Spence, Patrick, Doc (Denis Botzer), Charley, and Henry. There's also about 5 or 6 occasionals that show up. Its a great group of folks to play with. I'm playing Bodhran in part because Henry, our normal Bo player is out of town, and in part because my fingers are still sore from playing all day friday, saturday, and sunday at <a href=http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... 1>Catoctin Mountain Music and Dance weekend.</a>

Pat (banjo, whistle) and Doc (Fiddle, Guitar, etc) generally lead the session and Charley joins in on Uillean Pipe (Pipes, whistle, flute). Henry (bodhran), Jim (Guitar, flute, Whistle), Spense (Flute, guitar, whislte, fiddle, and now concertina) round out the core group. They've been playing togeather for a few years. I've just joined a couple of months ago and I'm still getting upto speed with their sets and tunes.

I can't overstate how fun it is to be around these guys, it just a great time to ...
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

This has been a carefully controlled secret. What are the regular nights and times for this marvelous session? I am only about an hour away. Do they have diet coke on tap since I don't drink?

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Every Tuesday from about 9 to 11:30 p.m. They will undoubtedly serve you soft drinks. They also have a nice looking dessert menu...and there's always dinner. But it seems a very relaxed setting for just sitting and listening to the music, too.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

Sounds good. Maybe one day soon. I just have to convince Mrs. K.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

FWIW, I'll be filling in for Doc on the 16th. Come say hi.
Ailin

Post by Ailin »

Castlebay?! I've been there many times for a Guinness or 2 and crab soup or a corned beef sandwich for lunch! But I didn't realize they had sessions there. It always did seem like it would be a great place for sessions, but I never did ask while there if they had any or not. Next time in the area (my brother lives in Chesapeake Beach) I'll have to stop in on Tuesday night. :party:

Ailin
He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless dead.