POLL: Should Chiff & Fipple Pardon Ashlee Simpson?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Should Chiff & Fipple Pardon Ashlee Simpson?

Yes
15%
No
14%
Chiff & Fipple should punish Ashlee Simpson
25%
Who is Ashlee Simpson and what are you talking about?
46%

Total votes: 65

Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

POLL: Should Chiff & Fipple Pardon Ashlee Simpson?

Post by Dale »

Should we?
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

The practice is so common, it's only surprising something like this hasn't happened before. I say we put a stop to it. What's the punishment?

Susan
amar
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

i forgive her.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

....depends on the punishment. I mean, should she be forced to learn how to play the whistle as punishment?...then yes. Although, how will we be certain it is really her playing it, or her just 'fingersyncing'? :D
Paul

Post by Paul »

Aww, she's probably punishing herself enough. She's just a kid. Can you imagine how embarassing that would be? It's like everyone knows they do it (as Susan remarked) and it's generally accepted (I guess) by fans of that type of entertainment. - So the technical crew screws up and then she takes all the $#!^ for it. I feel sorry for her.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I feel sorry for both of OJ's kids.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

I selected "Who is Ashlee Simpson?" Then I turned on the news, and there she was. Now I remember why I don't pay any attention to pop music...
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Would her penance be having to go back on 7th Heaven?
Reasonable person
Walden
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

That was one great hoe-down.
Jack

Post by Jack »

You can only forgive a person if you're angry at them.

I'm not angry at Ashlee Simpson, because if I were she I would be doing the same thing (making millions of dollars pretending to sing because my sister is famous).

However, I am angry at the music industry as a whole. People like Sinéad O'Connor, who has a tremendous live voice and used to sing a capella quite often, are driven out of the music industry because of their political beliefs or because they're not pretty enough and are called insane by the papers, while people like Ashlee Simpson, Britney Spears, and Avril Lavigne who lip sing all the time get the adoration and awe of all the press and industry because they're pretty.
glauber

Post by glauber »

It wouldn't have been a big deal if it hadn't happened at Saturday Night Live. It's another nail in the coffin of what used (10-15 years ago) to be the best TV show in the USA.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

I saw a sound engineer on TV explaining that most big time performers have tracks to enhance (replace?) their vocals on bad days. I've been to some concerts with old rockers (my age) who certainly could have used some vocal enhancement (CSNY).

I'm still learning the whistle and have never played in a session, but I have played with a few other students. I gather one of the benefits of session playing is that, on a bad night, a player can skip a few rough spots, take an extra breath etc. Is that like lip syncing?

A side note is that I'm 3000 miles from home in Seattle, in a hotel, seeing morning TV that I never watch at home. I'm amazed that Today, Good Morning Amer. are continuing updates on Ashlee Simpson every 1/2 hr, 3 days after a bad moment on late-night TV. It's clearly the most important story in the country this week.
Paul

Post by Paul »

glauber wrote:It's another nail in the coffin of what used (10-15 years ago) to be the best TV show in the USA.
Yup. I can't even watch it any more.
Caj

Post by Caj »

The Simpson fiasco made the news not just because of the lip-synching, but because the performance totally collapsed after the glitch. Simpson looked like a deer in headlights, kinda hung out on stage for half a minute, then walked off. This is worse than being exposed as a lip-syncher, the poor girl came across as utterly unable to do anything when the machine stopped singing for her.

This we know from trad music, that mistakes abound, embarrassing mistakes happen now and then, and freak occurrences happen too (pads falling off!) Part of learning music is learning to deal with these things---a
big milestone for students is the ability to keep playing after a mistake, rather than being completely derailed.

But, the Simpson girl was just recently rebranded as a made-to-order pop star, to capitalize on her celebrity. She was barely prepared to perform in public at all, and she definitely wasn't prepared to deal with the vocal track misfiring in a live performance. With some experience, she might have told the band to segue into another song on 3, and just sing that. She'd still be busted, but it wouldn't be on CNN all day.

Caj
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

dwinterfield wrote:I'm amazed that Today, Good Morning Amer. are continuing updates on Ashlee Simpson every 1/2 hr, 3 days after a bad moment on late-night TV. It's clearly the most important story in the country this week.
Anything to get away from the cut throat politics of Coburn Vs. Carson, I reckon.
Reasonable person
Walden