How many of you write music.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jking
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

How many of you write music.

Post by jking »

I was wondering how many people here have written jigs, reels etc. I have been playing around with airs but recently wrote a jig. Its called "Kings Jig." (Im sure its way too conceited to name a tune after my last name but what the heck, lol.) It just was posted to clips and snips. I think im going to work on a reel next when inspired. I found that it takes as much effort trying to make the tune your writing not sound like any other tune already in circulation, as it does creating it. I would be interested in other peoples thoughts on writing music.
p.s if any one can actually write music and poss transcribe it, i would be eternally gratefull. I can hear the tune in my head, i can read music but for some reason i cannot transpose it from ear to the sheet.
Last edited by jking on Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"honestly dear, one more tune and i'll come to bed"
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

I have a slow air that I seem to have "written". Actually, I was playing it on the guitar, then on the whistle.

I wrote it out in ABC and put it up at http://www.coastalfog.net/whistles/mysterytune.html, hoping someone could identify it as a "real" tune, but no one has, so I'm now claiming that I wrote it. I suppose I should give it a name.

I've thought about doing a B part to go with it, but nothing has appeared.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
dubhlinn
antispam: No

Post by dubhlinn »

:)
It's a brave whistler who claims to have written any tune in trad style. Many tunes overheard in sessions over the years can lay dormant in ones mind for years only to bubble up to the surface at some time.
Some years ago I played a reel which I thought I wrote only to find two other people recognised it as an old seldom played tune. To this day I still have no idea where I first heard it .
Another time I showed a friend my latest chord progression on Guitar only to be told it was a recent popsong that his teenage daughter played all the time!
George Harrison and Keith Richards both had trouble with the same thing in recent years.Harrison with "My sweet lord" and Richards with a song that "borrowed"heavily from K.D.Langs "Constant Craving".

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
jking

Post by jking »

i went to an ozzy osbourne concert many years ago. Maybe i repressed some of his tunes and they have finally found their way to the surface through trad music. :D
Seriously though i believe it can happen. Lately at the sessions we had a new player join and with him came tunes i thought i had never heard before only to find my fingers knew how to play some of them. Its scary but im finding myself in the position to have forgotten almost half as many tunes as i currently play.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I have written four airs and a jig.

:)
~JessieD
jking

Post by jking »

Jessie, i found that when thinking about reels it seemed to me anyway thats its a whole different ball of wax. Almost that it takes a ton more thought. Any comment?
McHaffie

Post by McHaffie »

Boy... congratulations! I have written a couple of slow airs. One of them might still be on clips n' snips. Somebody redid it as a piano piece I think and then it got reposted as such.

But to compose an entirely original jig or reel is fantastic. I know people do it and all, and again congrats on doing it, but I don't know if I could or not!!!! :D

Nice tune by the way. Just hopped over and listened to it.

Take care,
John
"Remember... No matter where you go... there you are..."
-Buckaroo Banzai
Caj

Post by Caj »

I once wrote a slip-and-a-half jig, to fit in a set between Old Man Dillon and Mrs. O'Sullivan's.

Since it filled a hole between two people jigs, I named it after "Mr. Hole," who is actually a regular on one of my usual newsgroups. The tune is officially called "The Lugubrious but Unflappable Mr. Hole," or "Mr. Hole rambles to the Gap."

That's my only attempt at a tune. A friend of mine is a great composer of trad tunes, and he composed a hornpipe to commemmorate when I passed my defense. I brag that I'm so "pure drop" that I got a hornpipe as a graduation present.

Caj
colomon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Blast -- wrote a long post, then somehow lost it without posting it. Anyway, I've been writing a bunch of reels and a few jigs, check out the link in my sig. I'll try to say something coherent about them in the morning.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I wrote a children's song, called Hey, Moon. I entered it in the John Lennon Songwriting Contest once. (www.jlsc.com) It says that production quality would not be a consideration for judging, but I have to believe that my nearly-in-tune voice and patchy piano accompaniment had to cost me a couple of votes.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

I write songs--lots of them. Usually songs with lyrics. Only lately have they strayed anywhere near 19th century style, and none would be described as a reel, jig, or hornpipe.

For me, songwriting is a spiritual experience. Songs come to me, and it is up to me to record them before they drift away. Many other songwriters talk about songwriting in these terms. Joni Mitchell put it this way, some nights the blarney is flowing. Her partner at that time would describe Mitchell as being in a trance-like state, as if channeling. I see it in similar terms, that my ideas come from a greater consciousness, not my own.

In the past few years, I have gotten better at the craft side of songwriting. In many ways, I still feel like a newbie. Despite having played whistle for 14 years, I can't play a decent jig or reel. However, the songwriting side is where I shine. I have touched many lives with my music. My music has carried me through many a dark day and that light continues to shine in my life and those around me.

As for transcribing, I find ABC notation to be the easiest way to go about that. On a whistle the six fingered notes are BAGFED. I use the concertina site to generate MIDIs to help me with the phrasing. Concertina also does sheet music and this is a huge boon for me.

http://www.concertina.net/tunes_convert.html

ABC basics
http://www.lesession.co.uk/abc/abc_notation.htm

The curious can hear some of my songs at:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/9/billchinmusic.htm
+ Bill
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Right then, I'm semi-awake, and here's my attempt to duplicate my post that got lost last night.

So, if you click on the link in my sig, you'll find eleven reels, three jigs, and one waltz, which is the bulk of my tune output, all written since early 2002. I created the web page in as part of an effort to get the tunes Out There. Tunes are a lot more fun if other people play them, because then you get to hear how other people approach them. Learning variations on your tune from someone else is amazingly cool.

I've found I no longer spend much time worrying about thinking I wrote something I'm really just remembering. I mean, I've never had any luck doing that conciously! And there are so many tunes out there that most tunes are a bit like some other tune, anyway. You can't let the slim chance of not being original stop you from creating. (And don't listen to the opinions of people who don't know much about the genre -- I once had someone tell me one of my tunes was a lot like Drowsy Maggie. Since the tune in question was nothing whatsoever like Drowsy Maggie, other than also being a single reel, I'm pretty sure the person in question only knew the one Irish reel, and so any other reel sounded "like" it.)
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Feadan

Post by Feadan »

I've written a number of tunes over the years. Mostly airs, but also a couple of jigs, a morris dance tune, etc. Some can be found at http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeo7z4q/ if you want to take a peek.

Cheers,
David
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I write frequently...mostly for fiddle. But recently I've been composing tunes on whistles and pipes. I find it a relaxing and engaging activety.
Jack

Post by Jack »

I write songs, but no jigs or reels.