Technical Question (should be easy)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
happyturkeyman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Technical Question (should be easy)

Post by happyturkeyman »

I didn't know how much of a treat I was in for today when I went to school. A guest speaker from a native tribe in Quebec came, and the last 10 minutes or so he played some beautiful songs.

He had three instruments, all wood, all end-blown. One was obviously a whistle, I saw the window and blade and it came to a stubby beak. The other two I couldnt figure out, they were both end blown but it did not come to a tapered end and I could not see a window. Could a blade be internal? Could his embouchure have split the air on the tube end?
We can dance if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're no friends of mine.
BEC

Post by BEC »

Or maybe the blade was ON the end - like a South American Quena or some such. There the embouchure has to do what the windway in a whistle does..... rather challenging at first based on my feeble attempts and near complete failure to even get a sound from an Andean native instrument when I had the chance........And I used to play transverse (concert) flutes, too.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Sounds like a Native American flute
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Sounds like a Native American flute
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Joe_Atlanta

Post by Joe_Atlanta »

Maybe something like this (upper left corner), just a soundblade cut into the end. If it was the same color as the rest of the barrel, it would probably be unnoticeable.

IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

brewerpaul wrote:Sounds like a Native American flute
Yes, I am sure the first instrument described was a Native American Flute. (I won't answer twice though. :P )

The other two most likely Quena's as suggested.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
john swinton
Location: in front of a computer, whistle in one hand, mouse in the other

Post by john swinton »

native american flutes are VERY hard to play :boggle:
* # ~ WHISTLE TILL YOU DROP ~ # *

(or your lungs colapse!)

John :lol:
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

john swinton wrote:native american flutes are VERY hard to play :boggle:
I have not found this to be true..
In fact, due to the 2-chamber nature, they're very much like whistles..blow and move your fingers :)

Unlike quenas and flutes that require a whole different set of skills in addition.
McHaffie

Post by McHaffie »

It also depends on the type of Native American flute your'e playing (sorry, offshoot to Native Americna flutes) They as diverse as many other instruments.

There are simple 5 hole that really sound very beautiful as any other, but really require no special skill other than breath control and moving your fingers, no second octave to speak of usually.

There are 6 hole, then 6 hole with a thumb hole, 5 hole with thumb hole, 3 hole, 4 hole... those are the ones I've played anyway. I'm sure there are probably more.

Anyway.... just different skills / practice to play any one of them. I found the 6 hole w/ thumb hole to be the most difficult to play... it did not respond like ANY other wind instrument I have ever played. Forget any sort of normal pattern such as a recorder or anything. Way odd... to me. All the other I could pretty much 'pick up and play' after a bit.

Quenas? Forget it! :lol: I thought my lungs were going to explode and my head fall off my shoulders by the time I figured out the embochure, and I still sucked. :D But boy the guy who had it sure could make it sing!
"Remember... No matter where you go... there you are..."
-Buckaroo Banzai
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

McHaffie wrote:It also depends on the type of Native American flute your'e playing (sorry, offshoot to Native Americna flutes) They as diverse as many other instruments.
True enough..i was thinking of the kind you find most often when you type "native american flute" into a search engine..you know, the 5 or 6 hole type, with 2 chambers, and a "bird" to direct the wind from the first chamber into the 2nd chamber... I think we both agree that these kind require only breath and finger control, and no special embouchure or anything.

I have two quenas, and sometimes, I can really make them sound good..and sometimes, I just sound like i'm blowing air ;)