From give me a break...please, department

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
MarkB

From give me a break...please, department

Post by MarkB »

Jon's too hot for Wal-Mart

Store chain yanks 'Daily Show' host best-seller over nude pix

Full story here

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/ ... 9278c.html

This is worse than outside terrorists!!

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Wal-Marts makes me feel claustrophobic and repelled. I avoid them.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I saw that on Fark. Great flame war.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: OT: From give me a break...please, department

Post by chas »

MarkB wrote: This is worse than outside terrorists!!
How so? Wal-Mart is a private company; they can sell or not sell anything they want (well, not exactly, but I suspect you catch my drift). I suspect they don't sell Playboy, Penthouse, etc. -- do you have a problem with that? If you don't like it, you don't have to shop there.

If a public library didn't circulate it because of the picture, I'd agree with you.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
McHaffie

Post by McHaffie »

I definately agree that Wal-Mart, or any other privately owned institution has the right to do whatever they want on this kind of issue...

Just for the general principle of dropping my $.02 in though I have to say that it's kind of odd really when you think about it really.

I mean, you have a book with ONE PAGE that has humorously displayed nudity, and you yank it from the store... so we're basing this on the fact that some or most of our customers 'might be offended. Ok then... well take a few more steps further into the store and find the GUN department with many rifles, some stores have handguns too, plenty of ammo to go along with them. Now, I certainly don't have anything against guns, I grew up with them. However, there is certainly a large population that don't.

So I just think it's kind of funny when you think about how a company will suddenly worry about one aspect of their public image and ignore another. It's all based on someone's opinion in the company and that's that! :D

So say I... an insignificant individual with no voice in the matter whatsoever!! AND I MEAN IT!!! :lol:
"Remember... No matter where you go... there you are..."
-Buckaroo Banzai
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

I think it's pretty stupid to be worried about a picture buried inside a book (which people shouldn't be reading in there anyway).

But then, it's Wal-Mart. Enough said.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

emmline wrote:Wal-Marts makes me feel claustrophobic and repelled. I avoid them.
Mee too!! I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one...I get in a really bad mood when I'm forced to visit a Wal Mart.

-Brett
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Bretton wrote:
emmline wrote:Wal-Marts makes me feel claustrophobic and repelled. I avoid them.
Mee too!! I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one...I get in a really bad mood when I'm forced to visit a Wal Mart.

-Brett
I despise Walmart (and the whole "Walmart mentality"). When I do have to go there, it's so loud and obnoxious (they have televisions suspended from the ceiling in ours, and they are EVERYWHERE!) and I end up with a headache when I go. I would much prefer to patronize local small businesses rather than contribute to Walmart. :P It's unfortunate that "Mom and Pop" shops are becoming increasingly rare these days.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
TomB

Post by TomB »

McHaffie wrote:I definately agree that Wal-Mart, or any other privately owned institution has the right to do whatever they want on this kind of issue...

Just for the general principle of dropping my $.02 in though I have to say that it's kind of odd really when you think about it really.

I mean, you have a book with ONE PAGE that has humorously displayed nudity, and you yank it from the store... so we're basing this on the fact that some or most of our customers 'might be offended. Ok then... well take a few more steps further into the store and find the GUN department with many rifles, some stores have handguns too, plenty of ammo to go along with them. Now, I certainly don't have anything against guns, I grew up with them. However, there is certainly a large population that don't.

So I just think it's kind of funny when you think about how a company will suddenly worry about one aspect of their public image and ignore another. It's all based on someone's opinion in the company and that's that! :D

So say I... an insignificant individual with no voice in the matter whatsoever!! AND I MEAN IT!!! :lol:
Well, there is at least one Wal-Mart that won't sell guns. I can't recall where it is, but I saw it on the news 2-3 months ago. The town did not want the sale of guns so Wal-Mart agreed to not sell them at that location.

Otherwise I agree. I think it's silly to pull the book, but they have a right to do so if they want, and we have a right to avoid their stores, if we want.

All the Best,

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Jack

Post by Jack »

Walmart also once banned a Sheryl Crow CD.

Walmart is a huge corporation, pays next to nothing to its employees, hires non-citizen immigrants to clean the floors so they can pay them $1 an hour, discriminates against women, and runs small mom-and-pop stores out of business, but like many red-blooded Americans, I shop there all the time.
TomB

Post by TomB »

Cranberry wrote:Walmart also once banned a Sheryl Crow CD.

Walmart is a huge corporation, pays next to nothing to its employees, hires non-citizen immigrants to clean the floors so they can pay them $1 an hour, discriminates against women, and runs small mom-and-pop stores out of business, but like many red-blooded Americans, I shop there all the time.

Ah yes, the American way!! :roll: :sniffle:

All the Best, Tom
Leel
Tell us something.: Hi All - I am a Celtic music performer with a band called Beyond the Heather, located in the Lawrence, KS/Kansas City area. I sing, play whistles, SSP and bodharan. I've been a C&F member since 2003 but haven't posted much recently.

Post by Leel »

There are a lot of things good about America, and some great (hypothetically), but Wal-mart is the physical manifestation of much that is bad about us.

You can simply start with rampant commercial consumerism, and it's ugly step-sister: waste.

Not to mention you can't even get into the goll-dang parking lot on a Saturday afternoon!
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I don't see what the big deal is. Most retailers make choices about what they will and will not carry. There's a video store here in town that refuses to stock Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ" because they find it "too violent." Now I can tell you, based on the number of slasher films this store stocks, that the real reason they won't stock this movie is because they're pretty sure their clientele won't go for it...and, frankly, that's OK. It's their business, their clientele, their decision. I won't stop shopping at that store because they won't stock this particular movie, but I'm glad there are other places where I can get it. Another example: My local natural foods store won't stock Worthington's vegetarian products because they may contain artificial ingredients, and that's against the store's charter. I happen to like Worthington products, and am willing to go to another store on the other side of town to get them...but I still shop at the local store, and I respect their right not to stock things that contradict their values. Why is that a problem? Freedom of expression applies on the corporate level as well as on the individual level, and if a company believes that a) a product violates the ideals on which the company rests or b) will offend its customers, said company both can and SHOULD refuse to stock that product.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
TomB

Post by TomB »

Redwolf wrote:I don't see what the big deal is. Most retailers make choices about what they will and will not carry. There's a video store here in town that refuses to stock Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ" because they find it "too violent." Now I can tell you, based on the number of slasher films this store stocks, that the real reason they won't stock this movie is because they're pretty sure their clientele won't go for it...and, frankly, that's OK. It's their business, their clientele, their decision. I won't stop shopping at that store because they won't stock this particular movie, but I'm glad there are other places where I can get it. Another example: My local natural foods store won't stock Worthington's vegetarian products because they may contain artificial ingredients, and that's against the store's charter. I happen to like Worthington products, and am willing to go to another store on the other side of town to get them...but I still shop at the local store, and I respect their right not to stock things that contradict their values. Why is that a problem? Freedom of expression applies on the corporate level as well as on the individual level, and if a company believes that a) a product violates the ideals on which the company rests or b) will offend its customers, said company both can and SHOULD refuse to stock that product.

Redwolf
Yep, you said it. I think that's what most people are saying.
nancymae

Post by nancymae »

Another crappy Wal-mart story.....

Both my daughter and my daughter in law had to work there for a period of time. In both instances, they promised part-time with the availability of getting health insurance availability. When schedules were made, surprise...they were habitually 1 hour short of getting health insurance priviledges! This occured for a period of 2 years at different times.

I don't shop there...it sucks the life right out of you!!! Plus, it does not help America (except monetary Rich America) one iota. They are especially discriminatory to women too...they have soo many suits against them...they are making their lawyers rich!!

It is my choice...just like it is their choice to be hypocrits!

Nancy