Need O Holy Night, please

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
mujo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Need O Holy Night, please

Post by mujo »

I've tried JC's tunefinder and only got some gibberish and Wandering whistlers site doesn't have it. Can anyone help?
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Kinda early, isn't it? Oh, all right: :D
http://www.musicaviva.com/midi/music.tp ... ight-voca4
ABC's at the bottom.
slowair
antispam: No

Post by slowair »

JohnPalmer

Post by JohnPalmer »

Why don't you try a real live music store that sells sheet music? Or learn to play it by ear.

JP
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

it's not too early if you want to get it perfect by Christmas.

BTW, I think there is a version in Clips and Snips played on a Burke by Ridseard. I remember hearing it once.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

I was pretty amazed tonight (which is not TOO hard to do). I looked at the song and saw 5 flats.

Not one

Not two

Not three

or Four

but FIVE of the suckers.

So I said what the heck, got out my "new" Burke Composite Low D and started playing. Know what? It sounded perfect. NO WAY! Only tough note was the 'Gnat" part way through, but it was managable.

Who'da thunk it. A new tool to use.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

NorCalMusician wrote:So I said what the heck, got out my "new" Burke Composite Low D and started playing. Know what? It sounded perfect. NO WAY! Only tough note was the 'Gnat" part way through, but it was managable.
I'm confused. Why would a Gnatural be hard on a low D whistle? Maybe on a Db whistle...
dlovrien

Post by dlovrien »

If you're playing a D whistle, I'd recommend getting the version in D that slowair posted...

Norcal, you didn't use enough :D for us to tell whether you were kidding or not about playing Db on a D whistle. Are you really that good a half-holer?
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

fearfaoin wrote:
NorCalMusician wrote:So I said what the heck, got out my "new" Burke Composite Low D and started playing. Know what? It sounded perfect. NO WAY! Only tough note was the 'Gnat" part way through, but it was managable.
I'm confused. Why would a Gnatural be hard on a low D whistle? Maybe on a Db whistle...
Here is a snip from the dots:

5 flats, including a Gb. When the Gb is played on a D whistle is sounds by playing XXX OOO. Sooooooo when you put the natural on it you have to play it as G# (not Gb which is how I THINK I was trying to play it last night. :roll: ). G# on a D is a LOT easier to half hole and there may even be a cross fingering you can figure out that is even easier. Anyway, that is the only note in this version that is tough to play. I just thought it was cool that it was so easy to play a song in that key would translate to the D whistle so readily!!! Music (a form of math?) really amazes me.

I did not check out the D version because it was not there when I was messing with this or missed it (most likely). I will check it out. This one is pretty nice though.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Joe_Atlanta

Fun with music and math

Post by Joe_Atlanta »

Total of flats and sharps add up to 7, all the diatonic notes. You ignore the key signature, play it like it was in D. Raise any accidentals by a 1/2 step.

Works for any of the letter keys (like E and Eb) except for C and F where the key immediately below is on a different staff line. Of course you're not actually playing in the flat key, you're playing up the half step in the key of the whistle.
Last edited by Joe_Atlanta on Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

NorCalMusician wrote:
5 flats, including a Gb. When the Gb is played on a D whistle is sounds by playing XXX OOO. Sooooooo when you put the natural on it you have to play it as G# (not Gb which is how I THINK I was trying to play it last night. :roll: ). G# on a D is a LOT easier to half hole and there may even be a cross fingering you can figure out that is even easier. Anyway, that is the only note in this version that is tough to play. I just thought it was cool that it was so easy to play a song in that key would translate to the D whistle so readily!!! Music (a form of math?) really amazes me.

I did not check out the D version because it was not there when I was messing with this or missed it (most likely). I will check it out. This one is pretty nice though.
I thought a Gb was the same as an F# or XXX XOO on a D whistle.

Put a Natural on it, it's a G natural, or XXX OOO.

G# is half holing the G hole, sometimes written XXV OOO (by me).

I thought...
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

This one includes whistle tab and midi...

http://www.guitarnut.com/folktablature/ ... night.html
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
dlovrien

Post by dlovrien »

NorCalMusician wrote:Here is a snip from the dots:

5 flats, including a Gb. When the Gb is played on a D whistle is sounds by playing XXX OOO. Sooooooo when you put the natural on it you have to play it as G#...
So you are fingering it in D, not Db. If you are fingering it the way you say and you perform it with a piano playing in Db, you will be playing a half-step off. It works well that way (only the G# half-holed), but make sure anyone accompanying you knows you're playing in D.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

NorCalMusician wrote:When the Gb is played on a D whistle is sounds by playing XXX OOO. Sooooooo when you put the natural on it you have to play it as G# (not Gb which is how I THINK I was trying to play it last night. :roll: ).
Oh, what you're saying is that you were playing the version with 5 flats (the key of Db)
transposed up a half step so that it could be played on a D whistle. Now I see.
trisha

Post by trisha »

My daughter's piano version is in C and a perfectly fine singing pitch. How complicated do you guys have to make things :roll: ?

Trisha