OT (already!):I voted today...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
spittin_in_the_wind
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

OT (already!):I voted today...

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

And not because Massachusetts is suddenly having a rush to encourage early voting. It feels weird to vote two weeks before the election. However, I will be traveling between the great states of Oklahoma and Ohio on election day. Hope the relatives don't want to talk too much politics...or ask who I voted for... :o

Anybody else voted yet?

Robin
Last edited by spittin_in_the_wind on Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Shan and I will vote this Saturday.

--James
Koss

!

Post by Koss »

I will NOT vote !
:wink:
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

My absentee ballot never arrived but I just requested another from the US Embassy in London. They said you can get one through them if you requested an absentee ballot more than 30 days before the election and hadn't received it by 15 Oct. So I should be voting in about a week!
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

My father, who is overseas, said he will not cast an absentee ballot, as he doesn't believe it will be counted.
Reasonable person
Walden
Koss

!

Post by Koss »

… do you really think your voting is counted in a regular way ..??

..Here in "old" europe it seems that the technical standard of your voting machines is from the middle ages …..

:moreevil:
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

:poke: off topic...
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Well, if you do vote, it may or may not get counted, and it may or may not have much meaning, even if it is counted.

Yet, if you do not vote, you will certainly not be counted.

At least one way you might have a chance of having a voice, no matter how small or insignificant it proves to be.

--James
TomB

Post by TomB »

Another to move to the political thread? Robin's post was innocent enough, but this looks like it is going to venture into the "evil" realm of politics.

All the Best,

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

I've mentioned elsewhere that I work at the polls in my township on election day. The commitment is from 6 or 6:30 a.m. until 10 p.m. or later, continuously present (by ordinance, I think).

As "minority inspector," I also help deliver the ballots to the courthouse while the other poll workers go home. I wouldn't do it if I didn't think it were important.

When I first came to this area, something happened that brought the importance of voting home to me. In the race for state representative, the election was so close the ballots were impounded and recounted. The state house was so closely divided that the majority party was unknown until the results of our local election were certified.

Besides, I figure voting is your license to complain about the government. If you don't vote, you're letting someone else decide for you.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
SirNick
Tell us something.: I love Irish music! I am mostly a whistle player but would like to learn more about flutes. I also have a couple older whistles I'd like to sell and maybe pick up a bamboo flute to practice with.

Post by SirNick »

I've got to be at a trade show and requested an absentee ballot. It hasn't arrived yet!! Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll send me an absentee electoral ballot! It's kind of like the magic ticket from Willy Wonka!!
"You have my undivided attention"
TomB

Post by TomB »

SirNick wrote:I've got to be at a trade show and requested an absentee ballot. It hasn't arrived yet!! Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll send me an absentee electoral ballot! It's kind of like the magic ticket from Willy Wonka!!

...I've got a golden ticket... Great movie.

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

In my country every adult (over 18) votes - it is even a legal obligation. A few weeks before the election, you get a letter that tells you when and where you have to vote, and you have to sign the reception of that letter.

People who live abroad or those who are sick or in hospital can also vote by letter instead of going to the voting bureau. Elder people over a certain age (forgot the detail) do not have to vote.

We use paper forms to vote and they are counted by a group of people in every voting local. So a control is always possible and there has not been a major voting scandal yet - at least not as long as I remember.

Some citizens say that the voting obligation is not compatible with democracy, but most people agree with our system. Generally people think that voting is important. As a citizen you have not only rights but also duties. I think that every adult has a responsibility and should participate in the management of his/her country.
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

claudine wrote: Some citizens say that the voting obligation is not compatible with democracy, but most people agree with our system.
Are you allowed to just go and cancel your vote, or have you got to vote for someone?
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

You can give a blank paper or make it recognizable by writing anything else on it than the regular signs. That will make it invalid. Every vote must be anonymous.