Semi- OT- Quebecois music

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
TomB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Semi- OT- Quebecois music

Post by TomB »

My family, at least on my Dad's side, came to the U.S. from Quebec. I would like some exposure to the traditional Quebecois type music so I've decided to ask here, since folks seem to be the font of knowledge when it comes to any trad type of music. I've seen a couple of groups in the past, one being Borque, Bernard & LePage- which I believe evolved into Matapat, without Benoit Bourqe. I've also seen a couple of guys named "Les Frères Brunet."

Can anyone provide any listening suggestions? Thanks.

All the Best, Tom
Last edited by TomB on Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Pat Cannady
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

There was a terrific group here back in September called Genticorum. Check them out.
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Check out Le Rêve du Diable and La Bottime Souriante (esp. the older stuff).
/Bloomfield
glauber

Post by glauber »

For some crossover Canadian/Irish stuff, try Grey Larsen's 2 albums with Andre Marchand (Orange Tree, Les Marionnettes -- the first one is the best), and Chris Norman's wonderful The Flower of Port Williams.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
missy

Post by missy »

saw these guys at the local Celtic World festival a few weeks ago, and they were AWESOME!!! (we bought their CD):

http://www.leventdunord.com/

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Tom, Benoit Bourque actually played in Matapat for several years before he left to join Le Vent du Nord. Both bands are great. I've only heard recordings of Matapat, and that from the days when Benoit was still a member. Le Vent du Nord I've met and taken workshops from, and they are great guys and wonderful musicians.

And it's hardly off-topic -- there are Quebecois whistlers. If I remember correctly, the album Le Vent du Nord (which was recorded by two members of the band before they formed the band -- confusing, no?) contains some great whistling in there with all the hurdy-gurdy and fiddling and such. Also, I know I've heard a couple of people play Quebecois-style whistle at Goderich, though I'm completely blanking on names at the moment. (Well, Janice who is on this board, certainly, in sessions. Me too, for that matter, though I suspect my style is not really up to par.)
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
rh

Post by rh »

<a href="http://www.qbc.clic.net/~thirtybe/index.html"> 30 Below </a> has a lot to choose from and a good links page.

One item of interest:

"TB-082-CD.....Au tour du flageolet

Daniel Roy

Daniel Roy is a multi instrumentalist and a dominant figure on the Québec folk scene. He has been a member of various folk groups such as La Bottine Souriante and Manigance. He is one of the rare flute players who plays traditional music from Québec. On his CD, we have the opportunity for the first time to discover Québec traditional music on the flageolet. Not only is this CD a high quality production done with great care, but it also contains original repertoire which is always played with great musicality. Daniel's experience as a collecter, researcher, radio programer and archivist can be heard through the repertoire he has chosen because of its diversity rarity and originality. He is accompanied by a variety of musicians, each one adding to the interesting colour and diversity of the CD. Régent Archambault, Michel Bordeleau and Denis Fréchette all from La Bottine Souriante, Sophie Dérosiers (cello), Jean Duval (Irish flute), Michel Faubert, Éric Favreau, Mario Gervais (fiddle), Paul and André Marchand (guitar), Élise Guay (shawn, wooden flageolet), Robert Legault (harmonica) and Danielle Martineau (piano) collaborated on this recording which merits the highest praise. Daniel Roy plays with Éric Favreau and Paul Marchand in the group Entourloupe. "
there is no end to the walking
TomB

Post by TomB »

Thanks to everyone that has given me suggestions. I will definitely check them out.

Any others, feel free to chime in.

Thanks, All the Best,

Tom
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

I thought at first you were looking for printed sources.

While you're listening to CDs, though, don't skip over the contra dance groups. Many of them feature Quebequois tunes, not to mention Irish, Scottish, and the genre known as "New England."

Many tunes playable on the whistle can be found in The New England Fiddler's Repertoir. I got my copy at Great Meadow Music, http://www.greatmeadowmusic.com, and Betty has a whole bunch of CDs, too.
Marguerite
Gettysburg
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

-Ditto the mention of Le Vent du Nord-Good enough you will want one CD in your home stereo and another in your vehicle.
TomB

Post by TomB »

Thanks again to all. If my message was not clear, it is cd's I'm interested in.

All the Best,

Tom
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

Hey Tom,
Old Salty Dogs is a really fun pub band that usually plays at Hurley's in Montreal. They've played in Ottawa alot too, usually a great time.
http://www.saltydog.ca/
I have all their albums, not much Quebec stuff, but their album UNLEASHED has a couple reels and a popular folk song (hint: the ones with the french names). Their website has a "Download 20 songs for $10" deal, which is pretty cool. Not professionals, but they're alot of fun.