flute design

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jonathan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Have played Irish traditional music >15 yrs. Flute, pipes, guitar.
I've taught music in Austin since 2011 or so.

flute design

Post by Jonathan »

Ok
Many or most of the makers' flutes are based on an old maker's design such as Rudall, Pratten, etc etc. My question is this: Do today's makers have a master/original/whatever that they copy from, or are the dimensions of the Prattens, Rudalls, etc generally well known and easily obtainable? If so, where could a person find the plans for these different styles of flutes?
Thanx
Denny

Post by Denny »

By the time you finish reading this...

http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/index.html

good luck,
Denny
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: flute design

Post by glauber »

Jonathan wrote:Ok
Many or most of the makers' flutes are based on an old maker's design such as Rudall, Pratten, etc etc. My question is this: Do today's makers have a master/original/whatever that they copy from, or are the dimensions of the Prattens, Rudalls, etc generally well known and easily obtainable? If so, where could a person find the plans for these different styles of flutes?
Thanx
The answers are: yes, yes, and several sources, including museums and other flute makers.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Aodhan

Re: flute design

Post by Aodhan »

Jonathan wrote:dimensions of the Prattens, Rudalls, etc generally well known and easily obtainable? If so, where could a person find the plans for these different styles of flutes?
Thanx
Dimensions are available, you can get plans/drawings from museum and other collections, and there are direct measurements of old flutes as well. (See McGee's GLP for one example of a direct copy)

Aodhan
Julia C

Post by Julia C »

And there's lots of info on http://www.oldflutes.com in case you've not seen it,
Ah, and Edinburgh Uni sell plansheets, at http://www.music.ed.ac.uk/euchmi/uwl.html although not all the links work on my machine, you can contact them.
enjoy,
Julia C
Nelson

flute plans

Post by Nelson »

Hi Jonathan, I sent away to the U. of Edinburgh and got plans for an R&R flute. I have sent copies to a half dozen or so members of this group. It is easy because they copy on a xerox 18inch x 8 1//2 inch sheet. Let me know your street address and I will send you one, if you want to turn a flute.

Nelson
Jonathan
Tell us something.: Have played Irish traditional music >15 yrs. Flute, pipes, guitar.

Re: flute plans

Post by Jonathan »

Wow thanks! I've sent you a private message.

Nelson wrote:Hi Jonathan, I sent away to the U. of Edinburgh and got plans for an R&R flute. I have sent copies to a half dozen or so members of this group. It is easy because they copy on a xerox 18inch x 8 1//2 inch sheet. Let me know your street address and I will send you one, if you want to turn a flute.

Nelson
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Thanks for the info everyone.
glauber

Post by glauber »

Jonathan, if you're serious about this, you should check the FLUTEMAKERS group at Yahoo.
--Wellsprings--
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Fantastic. Thanks Glauber
glauber wrote:Jonathan, if you're serious about this, you should check the FLUTEMAKERS group at Yahoo.
djm

Post by djm »

Shark in the Morning has a bunch of books on flute design, as well as drawings. http://larkinthemorning.com/category.as ... 0&x=23&y=8
There's lots published on flute design. How much ya got? :wink:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
glauber

Post by glauber »

A lot of these plans are very bad. If you want to spend money on a flute plan, i'd highly suggest getting Terry's:
http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/Plans.htm

The usual advice is to try making a recorder first, because it's simpler.

Clive Catterall has a lot of good information on tools and methods for flute making:
http://www.flutes.fsbusiness.co.uk/methods.html
--Wellsprings--
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

glauber wrote: The usual advice is to try making a recorder first, because it's simpler.
Glauber,

It's been quite awhile since I've disagreed with you here, so I hope you'll forgive the following out burst :wink:

In regards to Glauber's comment above, I must emphatically say: Absolutely, positively, and without any doubt - Untrue!!! A decent recorder is far more complicated to make than a flute, mostly due to the block/windway and ramp/window configurations, which require far more skill and tooling to do properly than a simple embouchure hole. (I'm leaving cosmetics out, which would put a recorders off the scale relative to simple system flutes.)

Loren
glauber

Post by glauber »

Allrighty then!

It's been a long time since i had a chance to use this image too! :)

Well, that was what somebody said in flutemakers. I think the idea was that the recorder may be complicated, but it's easier than cutting a flute embouchure, or maybe easier to tune, because there are fewer variables.

But Loren actually makes these things and i don't, so listen to him.

g
--Wellsprings--