Why not piccolos?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Gaaslaj
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm selling a whistle, I'm a long-time member, thanks, John. Looks like I need more words, wow, really hard to update this, not sure what else to write, hope this is enough.

Why not piccolos?

Post by Gaaslaj »

I read somewhere that piccolos were popular for playing Irish at one time. Are they difficult to play? How much louder are they than a whistle? Would one dominate a session? J.
Jay-eye

Post by Jay-eye »

I was playing a Sweetheart piccolo the other day - talk about shrill! And the bit that really put me off
is that you couldn't play it softly, not like a flute. It was flat out or nowt.
If you didn't blow it hard you didn't get the note.

Good for blasting out the earwax though!
Tóg go bog é, dude.....

j.i.
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

I like piccolo. Best thing for a crowded or loud session. You can control the sound, just takes practice.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

I've got a recording called FLUTE FOR THE FEIS by John Doonan that's all solo piccolo. I haven't listened to it for a while but from what I recall, I think I'd prefer whistle. Nice playing though...I picted up a few varyations on tunes I already knew from that recording.

-Brett
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Why not piccolos? They scare my cat, that's why. I'm sorry, but I have to plug my ears when the piccolos go at it on "Stars and Stipes Forever". Lets be more reasonable and all play the real thing, flutes. :)
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

the piccolo is a tricky instrument and most of us haven't mastered it. A scarey idea is someone who's played piccolo for a couple of months shrilling away at a session. If it were to be truely mastered like John Doonan referred to in another email it could make sense. Most of us don't have they years to put in to it. The instrument would also make a huge difference. you can fool about on a $10 whistle and sound pretty ok but a good fife or piccolo is hard to come by. I have an older sweetheart i thought use to keep my embrochure up playing privately in small places (my car) etc. but it went into a drawer and remains there. A couple of antique simple system piccolos have come my way and I had one reworked by Michael Hubbert but somehow they don't have the emotional draw of the flute or the ease of the whistle... If cast off on a desert island with a piccolo though, someone could get the hang of it. Its just there's so many more interesting instruments to play. As for volume, there's a reason that the they were a favored instrument in the marching armies of the 18th and nineteen century. :)
glauber

Post by glauber »

Ralph Sweet makes surprisingly good piccolos. I have one, and also have a Hamilton (which looks exactly like what you would get if you ran one of his flutes through a shrinking machine set to 50%). I've been playing flute and piccolo for more than 20 years, but i don't think piccolo is so hard. You have to overcome the fear or whatever it is that makes people blow them so hard. They're just little flutes, really. :party:
--Wellsprings--
artsohio
Location: Far enough north to get the new "Dr. Who" on the CBC!

Post by artsohio »

I have a bamboo piccolo in C bought about twenty years ago from "Little River Fluteworks" (or something similar) in Virginia. Anyone have a clue who that was/is? It's a wonderful instrument, not a bit shrill. I don't know if that's because of the lower pitch or the construction. It is very mellow and fun to play. My fingers fly on it!

The concert piccolo, however, is the single most horrible instrument ever invented. I have to wear earplugs to play it. Of course, most of the time it's played in the third octave which wouldn't be the case on a simple-system instrument. I hate playing the concert picc.

I want to pick up a D-piccolo one day. If I can find one with the same mellowness and joy-of-playing as my C-piccolo, I think it would be a nice alternative to the whistle.
"Colors changing with the keys, uneven timbre, even defects in intonation were elements of instrumental playing... Lover's eyes change into virtues the beloved's defects."

-Michel Debost, "The Simple Flute"
glauber

Post by glauber »

artsohio wrote:The concert piccolo, however, is the single most horrible instrument ever invented. I have to wear earplugs to play it. Of course, most of the time it's played in the third octave which wouldn't be the case on a simple-system instrument. I hate playing the concert picc.
If you have a chance, try an Eldred Spell headjoint. Beautiful, blends nicely, not shrill at all.
--Wellsprings--
I.D.10-t

Fife, Piccolo, flute

Post by I.D.10-t »

I am not an accomplished player but here is my view. I have a Bb and D
instrument in the piccolo/fife range. I also have a D flute. I could never
get use to the flute. (Although my wife liked it when I play the flute better) :lol:
As I have improved, her dislike for the piccolo has diminished.

The D flute has a larger finger spread and feels big and clunky. It takes
more breath and I cannot play as long of a phrase (might be just me
though)

I started playing a Melbay fife and so I know what a low-end fife is like. I
have since upgraded. I have also played some Toy flutes of similar
quality. Both can be as bad as a whistle that is out of tune.

If you are willing to buy a high-end flute, a high-end fife will often cost
much less (compare prices).

As for whistles, the higher you get the louder you get. With a piccolo/fife,
you can often make the sound soft and sweet while still having power in the
lowest octave (Better than I can with the flute). You can always
talk to the manufacturers and ask if they have options for smaller holes
and embrochure if you are concerned.

Most importantly, I like playing the fife and the piccolo. I like their history
and think that they had an important role. Play what you love and you will
love what you hear.