M and E questions

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
SirNick
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love Irish music! I am mostly a whistle player but would like to learn more about flutes. I also have a couple older whistles I'd like to sell and maybe pick up a bamboo flute to practice with.

M and E questions

Post by SirNick »

Does anybody have any experience with the "split embouchure" offered by M and E? Also, does anyone have the metal rings on one of the delrin flutes? If so, have you had any trouble with the rings becoming loose?
"You have my undivided attention"
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

My M&E is the original model (non Rudall) with the split embouchure. I like it very much, but i don't have a non-split model to compare it to.

The "Rudall" model doesn't offer the split head option.

For the non-initiated, what Michael Cronolly calls a "split" embouchure is what other makers call a cutaway head.

I have no experience with rings on M&E flutes.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
SirNick
Tell us something.: I love Irish music! I am mostly a whistle player but would like to learn more about flutes. I also have a couple older whistles I'd like to sell and maybe pick up a bamboo flute to practice with.

Post by SirNick »

I don't have much problem with standard embouchures. I worry that if I got the cut-away it might make me slack on a standard. Am I worrying over nothing?
Aodhan

Post by Aodhan »

SirNick wrote:I don't have much problem with standard embouchures. I worry that if I got the cut-away it might make me slack on a standard. Am I worrying over nothing?
If you don't have a problem with standard embouchures, then I wouldn't get the split embouchure. It's designed to make a flute easier to play.

I've played the M&E split embouchure, and have a R/R M&E, and I didn't notice an appreciable difference in the embouchure requirements. I also have the silver rings, and on my model they have not come loose (Even after knocking about at faire for two years), although the split model I tried out had a loose ring, I believe. Or maybe that was the Seery I played...I forget, it's been a couple years.

Aodhan
eilam

Post by eilam »

I had the original model, and now have the R&R modal, both without the cutaway,
I like my M&E a lot, and it's my most played flute.
I'd get the regular embouchure cut, has a deep woody tune.
SirNick

Post by SirNick »

Regular it is! Thanks for the input.
glauber

Post by glauber »

FWIW, i bought mine as a cutaway because Michael said it improved the sound.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I have an original model 6-key with the cutaway embouchure, as well as his Rudall & Rose model.

The Rudall & Rose is louder and more projective but I think this has more to do with the bore and tone holes than the embouchure. The flute with the cutaway is a loud flute in its own right, with a rich sound, and I do think the sculptured embouchure does increase the strength of tone on the lowest notes.

These are fine flutes and I enjoy playing them.

--James
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: M and E questions

Post by kkrell »

SirNick wrote:Does anybody have any experience with the "split embouchure" offered by M and E? Also, does anyone have the metal rings on one of the delrin flutes? If so, have you had any trouble with the rings becoming loose?
I used to have one of the original M&E's with rings. The rings and tenon fit were never loose.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Matt_Paris

Loose rings

Post by Matt_Paris »

Hello,

I just wanted to say that I have seen rings becoming loose on all my flutes, very bad ones (I will not name the maker) and very good ones as well (Tom Aebi and Rudall & Rose). Never thaught it was a big problem. Some makers paste them with glue, others just let them loose.

I have never seen loose rings on any Delrin flute, and anyway in this case, the rings are for decoration purpose only.

Matt
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

Hi!
I have an original M&E with rings and cutaway embouchure that I really like. Used it and dragged it along through heat, rain, hail, wind and snow. Rings still rock solid. Also had a chance to compare it to an original embrouchre M&E that a friend got at the same time. As Aodhan pointed out, the sound is much the same. The only difference I experienced with the cutaway embrouchure was that I found it to be much easier to hit the high register without increasing the volume to much. This is something one will learn to compensate for using the traditional embrouchure, goes with experince I guess. I'm glad I choosed the cutaway, uggly looking but still a nice feature.

/MarcusR
SirNick

Post by SirNick »

Very interesting.........maybe I should have made this a poll. I guess a positive point would be that the flutes are not very expensive with not a long wait so you could make changes if you weren't satisfied. This is one of things that scares me about ordering a flute like a McGee. He has so many different embouchure choices I'd be second guessing myself if the tone wasn't "just right". :roll:
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Well, I have an M&E with the split embouchure, and although I'm rather happy with it now, I wasn't when it first arrived. I had to send it back within a week, one of the tenons was loose and the lining of the tuning-slide peeled away. Of course, Michael repaired it immediately.

Shortly afterwards I bought a Bleazey (in mopane), which was about £40 cheaper than the M&E, and incidentally much lighter (it's a short-foot flute). I think if I'd bought the Bleazey first, I wouldn't have bought the M&E, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. I believe it was James who posted earlier in the year to say that the M&E has quite a bit of 'bang' in it, and he's right.

The M&E was my first choice mainly because I believed all the horror-stories about wooden flutes being a pain to maintain and 'plastic' flutes being 'maintenance-free'. Perhaps the climate in Swindon is relatively benign, but I've since learned that caring for a wooden flute is certainly no hardship, nor is it onerous. I've also since learned that 'tone' comes from the player as much (if not more) as it does from the flute itself.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I enjoy taking care of my wooden flutes, especially my Hamilton (which should be back from Ireland any day now). I agree it is no burden.

There are things I simply will not do with the Hamilton, though, that I've done with the polymer flutes: taking a flute on a boat, or playing outside on a cold Autumn night by a bonfire, or playing outside in the rain, or in a hot tub: all of these are things you should never do with a wooden flute.

Also, I have so little practice time, I'm often catching a tune on the fly. It's handy to keep a flute assembled all the time on my desk to catch 30 seconds of practice here and there in the evenings without having to waste any time drying out or disassembling the flute.

--James
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

James, do you still have that "bang" soundfile online that you posted all those months ago? Maybe Sir Nick would appreciate a listen, since he mentioned 'tone' and all. :)

I agree wholeheartedly about having a polymer flute for all those occasions where playing a wooden one would be daft. I have a Calmont and an Indian-made rubber keyed flute loafing around always assembled. Not sure I'd want to take my M&E out on a boat...it cost a fair bit from my wallet's perspective and I wouldn't want that disappearing over the gunwhales :)
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner