English image of Biscuits & Gravy

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
scottielvr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by scottielvr »

Cranberry wrote:Clogged arteries aren't something to laugh about; they kill people.
Yes; they do. And there's nothing funny about that. I work in a healthcare profession and am well aware of the harm done by arteriosclerosis. That said, there is humor to be found in self-destructive behavior, especially one's own. It's black humor... and not to everyone's taste...but humor nonetheless. Regarding health, in particular, this kind of flippancy usually emerges in middle age, when suddenly it appears that every substance or activity in existence is actually trying to kill you. Laughing at death, sickness, and pain, and at the human predilection for the myriad things which probably hasten them, is a way--admittedly pointless--of feeling as though you're defying them, you see. It doesn't imply disrespect for anyone's suffering.

...and now back to talking about good eats.
Best, scottie (wrestling with her own lipid demons recently)
happyturkeyman

Post by happyturkeyman »

Wanderer wrote:You know, now that I think about it, the "Real thing" isn't really all that more appealing looking..

Reminds me of the joys of owning and cleaning up after cats, in fact.
We can dance if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're no friends of mine.
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

scottielvr wrote:
Cranberry wrote:Clogged arteries aren't something to laugh about; they kill people.
Yes; they do. And there's nothing funny about that. I work in a healthcare profession and am well aware of the harm done by arteriosclerosis. That said, there is humor to be found in self-destructive behavior, especially one's own. It's black humor... and not to everyone's taste...but humor nonetheless. Regarding health, in particular, this kind of flippancy usually emerges in middle age, when suddenly it appears that every substance or activity in existence is actually trying to kill you. Laughing at death, sickness, and pain, and at the human predilection for the myriad things which probably hasten them, is a way--admittedly pointless--of feeling as though you're defying them, you see. It doesn't imply disrespect for anyone's suffering.

...and now back to talking about good eats.
Best, scottie (wrestling with her own lipid demons recently)
You stated that very eloquently. The best I can do is " Life is too important to take seriously"which I stole from my Mother who was also a nurse and a very wonderful person.

Happyturkeyman, You are right.Set side by side within sight but out of the range of smell it would be difficult to tell the difference between a plate of biscuits and gravy and a plate of cat vomit. Cat vomit .............Breakfast of Champs ( official breakfast of the US olympic team )
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Black humour is a typically English type of behaviour - making light of a serious situation, to show that nothing gets us down for long.

Reminds me of the lion tamer whose arm was bitten off by a tiger. He was rushed to Casualty, where, before giving him any injections, they asked "Are you allergic to anything?"

"Only tigers..."
John S

Post by John S »

People die of Anorexia and other eating disorders caused by the irrational moralisation of food.
Over the pond, and increasingly over here some folks seem to think it's there duty to live for ever; forget it it's impossible.
We're all going make dust eventually so don't burden yourself with unnecessary guilt.
Eat a good balanced diet (that includes appropriate amounts of saturated fat) and enjoy it.
Here endeth the first lesson.

When I was a lad Bacon was wonderful stuff that you just threw in a hot pan and would cook in it's own fat, and then you fried the tomatoes in the fat and made sanies with them.
These days if you take a couple of rashers of Bacon toss them in a pan, a huge cloud of steam erupts, and when it clears they've shrunk to 1/4 the size and welded them selves to the bottom of the pan.

John S
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Walden wrote:
Wanderer wrote:You know, now that I think about it, the
"Real thing" isn't really all that more appealing looking..
You make an excellent point. :)
Maybe...but it still tastes great :)
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

toughknot wrote: You stated that very eloquently. The best I can do is " Life is too important to take seriously"which I stole from my Mother who was also a nurse and a very wonderful person.
Or, as Redd Foxx said, "All these health nuts are gonna feel stupid someday, lyin' in bed dyin' of nothin'."

We have an obese cat. We tried putting him on this super-diet stuff only available at the vet's office. He started hunting on a daily basis (the worms took the weight off fast), snapping at us, etc. We decided we'd rather have a fat, happy cat for 12 years than a thin, miserable cat for 20. Personally, I feel the same way about myself. I don't want to live a miserable 90 years; I'd rather live a happy 75 or 80. I eat a pretty healthy diet, but I like to have a "heart attack-on-a-plate" every so often. Biscuits and gravy, spaghetti carbonara, country ham -- I simply enjoy them.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Jack

Post by Jack »

John S wrote:People die of Anorexia and other eating disorders caused by the irrational moralisation of food.
Over the pond, and increasingly over here some folks seem to think it's there duty to live for ever; forget it it's impossible.
We're all going make dust eventually so don't burden yourself with unnecessary guilt.
Eat a good balanced diet (that includes appropriate amounts of saturated fat) and enjoy it.
Here endeth the first lesson.
Anorexia Nervosa, a disease which I am quite personally familiar with, has nothing at all to do with food. It's a misconception the public tends believe. Anorexia, at its core, is a disease of the mind which constanstly tells one that she or he is not worthy of many things, one of which happens to be eating. It also leads to a very warped sense of body image. The thinness sometimes but not always associated with Anorexia is simply a side effect of the disease, as is the wanting to be even thinner. It is not the disease itself.
caniadafallon

Post by caniadafallon »

What Cran said above, anorexia is definitely not about food or wanting to be thin... it is about not feeling worthy to nourish oneself, and to add from my own perspective, it is oftentimes a control issue. When things all around are spinning out of control for the person affected, eating/not eating is the one thing she or he sees as being able to be controlled. It is a very dark place to be in, and is not readily understood by the people around the person suffering.
Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
~Berthold Auerbach
caniadafallon

Post by caniadafallon »

But, to get back on topic... well, off topic...but on topic for this thread... :P I have to admit to really liking American biscuits and gravy. I don't think I will try Martin's version anytime soon. :lol:
Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
~Berthold Auerbach
Jack

Post by Jack »

caniadafallon wrote:But, to get back on topic... well, off topic...but on topic for this thread... :P I have to admit to really liking American biscuits and gravy. I don't think I will try Martin's version anytime soon. :lol:
Same here. Martin's looks scarey.

And I also agree with whoever said they eat biscuits and gravy for supper. There've been times when I've eaten it for breakfast, ate the biscuits for lunch with tomatoes and mustard or something on them, then ate biscuits and gravy again that night. It's super good with grape jelly mixed into your gravy. Or pancake syrup, really. :P
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

Martin Milner wrote:Black humour is a typically English type of behaviour
Yeah, it helps get the black pudding down.
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
caniadafallon

Post by caniadafallon »

Cranberry wrote:It's super good with grape jelly mixed into your gravy.

Ewww.... sorry Cran, that so does not sound good to me. Perhaps one day I will be brave and try it, just so that I can say I did. Then again, maybe I won't.... :o
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

Hey, I had biscuits and sausage gravy for breakfast this morning! And a pot of really good strong black coffee. No evil can touch me today.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Ro3b wrote:Hey, I had biscuits and sausage gravy for breakfast this morning! And a pot of really good strong black coffee. No evil can touch me today.
looking at your avatar i'd say evil has touched you already. :wink: