UK C&F Session/Gathering 20/11/04 Manchester

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

polyhedralrectilinearparabaloid.

Isn't this an impossibility? Are you suggesting that those of us who cannot attend are paradoxical?

and what in the heck is the 20th month of the year? ( :roll: just kidding...stupid Yank...I know you blokes like to invert your dates. :roll: )
moxy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by moxy »

Hummm..... ... Manchester, eh? November 20th, eh? If I can get myself there, I'd love to join you!

Are there easy ways to Manchester from, say, Shannon or even Dublin? I imagine I'll be near Shannon on the 20th. Might be worth it to make my first trip to the UK :)

And a cheap hostel will do, as well!
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

SteveShaw wrote:How about harmonica players??
Steve, I'd pay money to hear you play alongside Becky's pipes!
Not a lot of money, obviously. But you know what I mean. Thruppence three-farthing still goes a long way up there I believe?
Hope you can make it!
Oh pants...note to self...must learn the Barrowburn :o !
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
John S

Post by John S »

Thanks for the feedback folks, I'll go ahead and buy the crisps (only joking).
All welcome what ever instrument.
I think there are regular flights from Dublin to Manchester Airport.
I'm still working on the Hotels.

TTFN
John S
kga26

Post by kga26 »

Moxy, I flew to Dublin last Christmas for £25.00 on Ryanair. I bet Ryanair do flights to Manchester really cheaply, check it out on the net, if you book early
you could probably get a 99p deal or something.
Is there a Shannon airport? I have a feeling there is, they probably fly from there too.
Ryanair are everywhere, damn good and damn cheap. Our Ryanair joke is, 'it does exactly what it says on the tin can'- and just might make you fly there in one too !!!!! (ha ha not funny I know) :-?
Are there easy ways to Manchester from, say, Shannon or even Dublin? I imagine I'll be near Shannon on the 20th. Might be worth it to make my first trip to the UK
moxy

Post by moxy »

Thanks for the tip, kga. I looked up Ryanair, and found a flight that gets me there from Shannon on the Friday night, back to Shannon on the Sunday night, all for 40 euros!!

(The flight itself is less than 1 euro, it's the taxes and other fees that hike it up to 40 euros!!)

That flight gets me to London. How could I get from London to Manchester? Is there an easy way?
moxy

Post by moxy »

Oh my, Manchester is quite a ways from London... And Ryanair doesn't fly to anywhere but London (in England, anyway).

I checked from Glasgow, and the bus ride could be shorter, but the flight isn't as cheap - and there is less selection for travel times. Could be complicated....

If I can work it out easily, I'll be there in body. Otherwise, I'll be there in spirit :) I'll play a jig on November 20th with the UK Chiffers in my thoughts.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

There are a few operaters, cheap ones flying from Shannon t oenglish destinations, can't think of the names now but if you look on the Ashann or Aer Riannta website you' find out the companies and the timetables so you can go to the companies own website to book. You can fly Shannon- Birmingham for a tenner for example.
moxy

Post by moxy »

John S wrote: I think there are regular flights from Dublin to Manchester Airport.
I'm still working on the Hotels.
There are. I've found a decent arrangement for 65 euros that doesn't break up my short Ireland trip too much. (thanks Peter!) But I did say I wouldn't make plans for this trip, and would just go with the flow... We'll see...

As for accomodations, there's the Burton Arms not far from the Bear House - Here's what "Let's Go" has to say about the Burton Arms:

"31 Swan Street - (phone 834 3455) - Basic rooms above a pub on a busy street. A 15min. walk from both train stations and St. Peter's Sq. Full English breakfast £3. Singles £25; doubles and twins £19.50 per person, with bath £30."

http://www.ukhotel.com/north-west-engla ... -hotel.htm
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

I have seen no posts from the Londonium mob... Martin, dub, Avanutria et al...?

The Wiltshire Contingent will be there, surely you chaps and chapesses from our nation's capitol will show the flag and support those of us living below the Ecky-Thoomp line?
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

GaryKelly wrote:I have seen no posts from the Londonium mob... Martin, dub, Avanutria et al...?

The Wiltshire Contingent will be there, surely you chaps and chapesses from our nation's capitol will show the flag and support those of us living below the Ecky-Thoomp line?
Edinburgh, the nation's capitol.
teehee..
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

moxy wrote:Oh my, Manchester is quite a ways from London... And Ryanair doesn't fly to anywhere but London (in England, anyway).
Or you could just come to London :D
GaryKelly wrote:I have seen no posts from the Londonium mob... Martin, dub, Avanutria et al...?
My understanding from Martin is that it's rather expensive to get there from here, plus accomodation and so forth. I'm not sure if he's planning to go, but the cost might make it not possible for me...I'm trying not to overextend my student budget at the moment, and need to find a part time job. I've noted the date though, and am considering it.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I have been contemplating the cost and sizing up my free time. :)

I haven't written off the idea, I'm just counting the coppers and the days till Christmas! I'll be making a decision in the next few days, I'd love to meet all you guys, though I'm a fiddler, not a whistler, these days!
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Fiddle is cool. It'd be great to see you oop there. If not, well, Kate (kga26) and I have been mooting a "Southern" gathering for some time in the New Year, maybe around February. The M4 corridor captures a fair few southerners I reckon. We'll see how it goes. These days I'm a fluter more than a whistler meself, with concertina for the days when I lose my blow. It's hell losing your blow. Bit like a fiddler losing his stroke, I should imagine. :) Or a box player losing their squeeze?
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Hm, if you could teach me a tune or two on anglo conc, Gary, that would make it more of a draw to attend :D