Whitney Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
sbruyette
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Whitney Whistle

Post by sbruyette »

I found this whistle while looking at Song of the Sea's website. Here is a link. http://www.songsea.com/tinwhist.htm#whitney

I don't think I have read about it anywhere. Anyone tried it? The windows sort of reminds me of a Noah Herbison Laughing whistle and I like the engraving. Sort of tempting.
Susan
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

never heard of it, but that site's got nicer than average pics.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

The sound sample is nice. I see that it's tunable and has a Delrin plug.

Well, let us know how you like it. :devil:
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
EdMueller

Post by EdMueller »

What great timing! I just saw that today and did a C&F search to see if anyone had tried it... and now your post.

It is very nice looking, but my computer here has no speakers, so I couldn't hear the sample.
Jack

Post by Jack »

For a second I thought Mrs. Crackhea...I mean Houston might've taken up whistle.
vomitbunny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

Mrs. Crackhead?
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
Jack

Post by Jack »

vomitbunny wrote:Mrs. Crackhead?
Where did you get that?
Koss

Post by Koss »

andreaz54

Post by andreaz54 »

This is just too bizarre! I JUST got a Whitney Whistle and was going to post about it today!!!!!!!!

We just returned from a trip to Maine. While there, we made a stop a Bar Harbor, which for those of you who don't know, is a really lovely little seaside town right on the water. Lots of ambience! There are tons of original little shops and places to eat.

Walking along, I spied this great little shop called "Song of the Sea" and the sign said "folk instruments". It was right on the water. Very cool. So I dragged the husband inside. They had a great selection of whistles and the really cool thing was that you could try them out! I have never been in a shop like THAT before. So I was in my glory. I should mention that the owner of the shop is very knowledgeable and also plays her Copeland Low whistles REALLY well.

I picked up this little whistle, the likes of which was not at all familiar to me. I tried it. It blew me away! The sound was wonderful, very sweet and to my ear, pure. It was effortless to make the change between octaves. Infact, you didn't have to even think about it! The owner looked at me and chuckled and said that it was a Whitney Whistle and she can't hardly keep them on the shelves! Here is what she told me. The whistle is made by a fella who lives in Ellsworth Maine and who is a sailor on one of the local fishing boats thats puts out at that harbor. He wanted a nice easy to play whistle that was on the quiet side for himself. So he made one. He obliges Song of the Sea by making them for the shop but he is not interested in this point in going any farther than that...so I don't think he will have a website anytime soon.

The workmanship is very nice. He uses a black delrin plug in the windway and it is very nicely done. The whistle is brass, as you can see from the website. Everything is very tidy and finished off very smoothly. The whistle is light weight and feels great in the hands! I am blown away by the lovely intricate Celtic band that encircles the bottom of the headjoint. It is really a work of art.

I can't say enough about this whistle. I have not been able to put it down since I got it!!! :) I have compared it to my Sindts and the volume is very close. I think that the sound it somehow brighter on the Whitney.

If you are debating....STOP! Just get one! For $75 it is a steal!!
izzarina

Re: Whitney Whistle

Post by izzarina »

sbruyette wrote:Sort of tempting.
Sort of? I have a friend in Maine who goes to Bar Harbor once in a while....wonder if I can find her number again.... :D
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Looks a lot like a Laughing whistle that Noah makes. Sound similar I wonder? Those have been around for years now anyway....
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

I remember seeing those a while back and not finding much about them doing a search.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.