Dale Hears From Davy About the Davy Spillane Low Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

DCrom wrote:Beshrew!
Gesundheit.

Best wishes,
Jerry
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Jerry Freeman wrote:
DCrom wrote:Beshrew!
Gesundheit.
Gemeinhardt.

(Isn't "beshrew" the sneeze of someone who's come down with the flute?)
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

This thread is getting silly. I will not tolerate any silliness in this thread.

/Bloomfield
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Bloomfield wrote:This thread is getting silly. I will not tolerate any silliness in this thread.
Ni!
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

KDMARTINKY wrote: Dale Wisely for the little time I have conversed via email on on C & F has been nothing but a gentleman and also a man of great knowledge to low whistles and whistles in general.
I appreciate him very much as a whistler.
Thanks for your kind words. Please continue to respect me as a gentleman and as a knowledgeable person. But, really, you might want to reconsider that appreciation of me as a whistler. :)
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Bloomfield wrote:
Brian Lee wrote:... our boy Davy ...
And what exactly is your problem? Wait. Don't answer that.

*shudders
Oh yeah sorry....and Bloomfield too. *pinching his squishy little cheeks*
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

This is the reason I continue to come back to join you all in converstaion....its so darn fun... :lol:
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

amar wrote:for future reference, here are the ingredients to a well-visited thread, a combination of:
DS
Tal
Overton
Dale that gets a bit pissed off (our Dale getting pissed off!!) :o
Yeah, people will pay good money for a thread like that. Can we have another, Dale? :)

Now, I think that Talbert's suggestion that Dale is somehow obliged to buy one of these new whistles is pretty ridiculous. As has been suggested, have Davy send Dale a review copy for free if he wants to get word out. Or send someone else a copy! (At this point, a number of donkeys are standing in the back, jumping up and down and shouting "me! me!") :-D

Personally, I think the whistle as described could be a good one. I am actually all for plastic mouthpieces, to minimize the clogging issue. If Pat O'Riordan can get away with it, why not DS? ;-) But at $250, I will rather wait for someone more obsessed than me to buy one and write a review, and then consider again.

Cheers,
Jens
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

If you're free in mid-November, you could always drop in to the William Kennedy Piping Festival in Armagh http://www.wkpf.org/ and ask him how work is progressing on your order.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Jens_Hoppe wrote: ...I am actually all for plastic mouthpieces, to minimize the clogging issue. If Pat O'Riordan can get away with it, why not DS? ;-) But at $250, I will rather wait for someone more obsessed than me to buy one and write a review, and then consider again.

Cheers,
Jens
Hey Jens,

Have you ever played one of Pat's low whistles? I had one come in with my order a little over a year ago now and I have to say it was very....um....average to my ear. I've also been playing a Howard for ages and owned a Kerry from Phil Hardy as well. While some of these are better than others, NONE of them are stellar performers.

And as you state, for $250 and having to deal with Davy/Tal's attitudes, I would expect this one to play itself, be gold plated, cpme with the blessing of the Pope and Sir James Galway themselves, and free groceries for a whole year. Frankly, I don't care enough about this one to even dream of spending that kind of dough on one - ever.

I, like you, will wait with anticipation to learn who the first person is to try one though. But I won't be supprised at all if our newest line of mass produced plastic topped whistles turns out to be nothing more than "hot air".

Bri~]
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Brian Lee wrote:....turns out to be nothing more than "hot air".

Bri~
That being your particular field of expertise. ;)
/Bloomfield
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Brian Lee wrote:Have you ever played one of Pat's low whistles? I had one come in with my order a little over a year ago now and I have to say it was very....um....average to my ear. I've also been playing a Howard for ages and owned a Kerry from Phil Hardy as well. While some of these are better than others, NONE of them are stellar performers.
Well, yes, I do have a low Eb/D aluminum set of Pat's and while I do have some playability issues with it (stretch and air requirements in particular),
one thing I do like immensely about it is its sound. I don't see any reason in principle why plastic mouthpieces should be an obstacle for quality...

I used to own a black Howard low D, loved the sound of the thing but couldn't really get comfortable with it, mainly due to the stretch and size of the finger holes. I sold it, but today I really wish I had kept it. It's more or less the only whistle I have ever sold that I really wish I could have back.

I also have a Kerry low D which I'd happily sell without a second thought. 'Nuff said. ;-)

Cheers,
Jens
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Brian Lee wrote: having to deal with Davy/Tal's attitudes,
Bri~]
have you yourself ever met or dealt with Davy Spillane, Brian?

I can't say I know him but i have met him on a few occasion when he came up to me for a chat after hearing me play the pipes. We had a short conversation, actually he gave the impression of being a quiet decent person.

What exactly is your excuse for going at him all the time?
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Bloomfield wrote:
Brian Lee wrote:....turns out to be nothing more than "hot air".

Bri~
That being your particular field of expertise. ;)
OOoooo, you're just so damn CUTE little Bloomie! *pinches your cheeks even harder!*

Jens - I guess it's a matter of taste then - I have yet to hear a plastic mouthpiece replicate the same intonation of a good metal whistle, but as mentioned before, some are certainly closer than others. Still, it's the cost and the attitude that seem to keep inflating - keeping me solidly of the mind that I will not be buying or playing one of Spillane's.
Peter Laban wrote:have you yourself ever met or dealt with Davy Spillane, Brian?

I can't say I know him but i have met him on a few occasion when he came up to me for a chat after hearing me play the pipes. We had a short conversation, actually he gave the impression of being a quiet decent person.

What exactly is your excuse for going at him all the time?
Um Peter, I'll let history speak for itself there. But since he's unwilling to be "quite a decent person" to the hand that feeds - meaning the people he's trying to sell to - and not just to the rare few who have a chance to meet him, it taints his persona to many of us. Frankly I don't care what he's like in person if I never have the chance to meet him and form some sort of friendship with the guy. If he wan't to be in business great! But there are some pretty basic customer service attitudes that need to be adhered to or.....no product sells.
Azalin

Re: not fair.

Post by Azalin »

DaleWisely wrote:
talbert st.claire wrote: Dale, how could you do this with a good conscious in all fairness?
Talbert, what in the hell are you talking about? With all due respect, this kind of behavior on your part is precisely why you have no credibility with me.
No credibility with me, either. You're not alone, Dale! ;-)

I'm wondering if one day someone who says he'll leave the board and stop posting will really do it? They're all coming back, it seems so. Now what, Barb is going to show up here and defend the good ol' Talbert? This Spillane-Talbert-Barb thing has become a routine.