Separate Forum for Off Topic Threads?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Separate Forum for Off Topic Threads?

Poll ended at Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:08 am

Please, lets have a separate "Off Topic" forum.
25%
No, please leave things the same.
72%
No opinion, I don't give a toot!
3%

Total votes: 68

Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

The fact that this board is Poststructural allows for political (and religious, and work related, and school related, and other instruments, so on) discussion.

If you take away the politics, this will become just another Internet whistle board, and the politics forum will become just another political forum.

Part of the magic here is it's liberal moderating policy and its inclusiveness, for everything. If I want to post about eating toenails, I'm sure it will be as welcome as posting about my new Copelands.
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Was there something you wanted to tell us about eating toenails? (Is that appropriate for a vegetarian?)

Reminds me, I was listening to an interview with a guy who's done some Rocky and Bullwinkle animated movies recently.

He told stories about the original cartoon series, which I haven't seen since I was a kid. He said it's full of stuff only grownups would get.

For instance, there was an episode where Rocky and Bullwinkle end up in a big stewpot, about to be eaten. The management sent a letter to the writers telling them that their censorship policy was fairly permissive, but they wouldn't allow them to depict cannibalism.

The writers responded, "What cannibalism? We're talking about a squirrel and a moose!" Later, they wrote an episode where Rocky and Bullwinkle are about to be tied to a stake and cooked. Rocky pulls out a piece of paper and announces, "You can't do that! See, it says right here in our contract!"

Best wishes,
Jerry
glauber

Post by glauber »

I eat Copelands.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
glauber

Post by glauber »

By the way, the US seems to be researching antimatter weapons.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
kga26

Post by kga26 »

We may whistle, but we are only human.........You can't just whistle and not notice anything else that is going on around you.....or can you ? Where do you think all those heartrending traditional whistle tunes came from if they were not from social comment? I don't think you can have music without a political and social emotion. Do you think that people just sat around during the bubonic plague or irish potato famine and talked about the quality of their fipple? No, I think they described their experiences through their music,
and the tin whistle'penny whistle' was an instrument that was easily afforded by the masses. Early American music, Celtic Music, English music, all anotated, passed on and enjoyed by the working classes. Sorry, this is one instrument that is political , it is part of folk tradition and long may it be so!
Soul music..... Lets keep it that way!
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I've just been so pleased with how the political discussions have mostly been limited to the sticky political thread that I surely don't see a need to even consider a separate OT forum. Also, I would never, ever be able to offer a all-whistle-all-the-time service. As much as I love the instrument, that would get really tedious, really fast.

Thanks.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

How about giving the title OT to whistle postings only! Obviously Tedious

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Jerry, da man wrote:Was there something you wanted to tell us about eating toenails? (Is that appropriate for a vegetarian?)

Reminds me, I was listening to an interview with a guy who's done some Rocky and Bullwinkle animated movies recently.

He told stories about the original cartoon series, which I haven't seen since I was a kid. He said it's full of stuff only grownups would get.

For instance, there was an episode where Rocky and Bullwinkle end up in a big stewpot, about to be eaten. The management sent a letter to the writers telling them that their censorship policy was fairly permissive, but they wouldn't allow them to depict cannibalism.

The writers responded, "What cannibalism? We're talking about a squirrel and a moose!" Later, they wrote an episode where Rocky and Bullwinkle are about to be tied to a stake and cooked. Rocky pulls out a piece of paper and announces, "You can't do that! See, it says right here in our contract!"

Best wishes,
Jerry
Not particularly, but I really do eat my toenails.
meemtp

Post by meemtp »

Over on the Fiddle and Alt. Strings forums we have a separate OT forum. The "Sauna" It works quite well. Not that I mind the way it is here now all that much. Just food for thought.
Corin
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I hope the format never changes. I do like the "OT" at the beginning of an off topic post though.

I think most of us who view the forum regularly feel we kinda know each other(in a weird sorta way) and are friends. We've come to many of the impressions we have of other posters because of the OT posts. (Let's face it, we are an intresting mix of whistlers here)

I can't imagine having friends who discuss only one topic. :D
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
rodfish

Post by rodfish »

emmline wrote:I just don't want to have to go 2 places. While the whistle-related content is, obviously, central to C&F's raison-d'etre, I stay for the personalities as revealed through all sorts of threads.
Ditto for me!! :P

Rod
"A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver."
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Cranberry wrote:
Not particularly, but I really do eat my toenails.

Whew, finally. For a while I thought someone else was using Cranberry's account.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Instead of a separate OT forum, what about simply having a separate whistle forum? "The Poststructural Whistle Board" could remain more or less as it is, plus a new "Whistle Forum" to go with the flute, pipes, and ITM forums.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Cranberry wrote: If I want to post about eating toenails, I'm sure it will be as welcome as posting about my new Copelands.
As Chiff and Fipple's resident Podiatrist, I would highly recommend against eating toenails, especially the really gross fungus infected ones... :sniffle:
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Is this what you mean Paul?

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.