Olwell Eb section just arrived!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
michaelS
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by michaelS »

To question the sailing analogy, does this mean a F flute is like a windsurfer, and a G flute is like kite board. I actually think the Bb is closer to a soling, with the stability of having a keel. I would have thought Flying dutchmen are a bit "hairy" in a "blow"!
eilam

Post by eilam »

yah - or Eb = skimboarding, D = surfing, Bb = windsurfing?
sturob
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by sturob »

No, Pat does split-body flutes too. Meaning same-number-as-a-Rudall, rather than same-number-as-a-Pratten.

I agree 100% with your assessment of the Eb midsection, Chris. And Eddie, if I hadn't-a been working, you could have played my flute, which has two midesctions. The Eb is great fun.

Stuart
MurphyStout

Post by MurphyStout »

Lets have a clip Chris!! And you need to stop buying flutes so you'll have some money for Ireland this November with me and Azalin.
No I'm not returning...
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Okay dude, I'll get a clip or two recorded and posted in the next day or so. Will the Kesh Jig do nicely? Or maybe Off to California?

When are you going to Ireland? For how long? Where to? I might come. Send me a PM with your e-mail address and we'll talk about it.

Peace,
Chris
Winded

Post by Winded »

Chris,

Thanks so much for changing that picture. I don't think I could have read one more post from you. :wink: Anyway, I should have a Olwell cocus D flute with an extra Eb body coming in the next month or so. After your thoughts, I can't wait!!

-Mike
John-N

Post by John-N »

Chris,

Can you post some photos also ?

Thanks,
J
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Winded wrote:Chris,

Thanks so much for changing that picture. I don't think I could have read one more post from you. :wink:

-Mike
Ouch! What's that supposed to mean? Well, I suppose Max is better looking, but then again, Max has the advantage of being a bunny.

Yup. I'll post some photos with the soundclip. I think Wednesday will be the day (hopefully).
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

ChrisLaughlin wrote:
Winded wrote:Chris,

Thanks so much for changing that picture. I don't think I could have read one more post from you. :wink:

-Mike
Ouch! What's that supposed to mean?
No kidding, I was wondering the same thing myself. I love the dancing monkeys though....

Mary
KCJiang

Post by KCJiang »

Is it common, a D keyless flute can get Eb section to fit? That means I can buy a D keyless flute and a Eb section for both D key and Eb key. Any other flute makers makes Eb section for his/her D keyless flute?
sturob
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by sturob »

Historically it was the norm, KC; those extra bodies are/were called corps de réchange, pronounced "core duh ray-shAHnzh." That's just French for "exchange bodies," basically. They were intended to allow people to change pitch with regional variants in the fundamental: Eb and D are pretty close pitches, after all.

Part of it depends on how the flutemaker designs his/her D and Eb flutes. The headjoints are probably (always) interchangeable, but the footjoints might not be the same.

I don't know how many makers do it, but it's probably pretty do-able, on the whole.

Stuart
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

I believe that Ward's delrin flutes are offered with an optional second body - http://www.wardflutes.com

I'm sure there are many others, but I was checking out his site recently.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Ward promises some Seeryus competition.