Susato Low D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Here's what I do. :)
/Bloomfield
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

hahhaah...i worked in the village just next to where the riiiiicoolllaaaaaaaaaaaaaa candies are made. a small wee village, everybody works in the factory. :D
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Wäldcola!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
seisflutes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by seisflutes »

Mmm, yes, well. On the subject of Susato low Ds,a friend of mine just gave me one a week ago,along with a Susato low G and a mystery bamboo D flute.She has a hard time reaching holes sometimes,even the low G was too far for her.
So anyway,I don't know this whistle very well yet,but it's louder than my Alba,the holes are easy enough for me to reach,I don't like the sound much,it takes a good bit of air.Not my favorite,but for a free whistle,I'm not complaining.Okay, yes I am complaining a little.The fipple/beak/whatever is really fat.That's all I'm complaining about. :)
-Kelly
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

RonKiley wrote: The best thing I have heard said about the Chieftain is it sounds like an Overton. So why not just buy an Overton.
$80.00 cheaper. No waiting list.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Wanderer wrote:
RonKiley wrote: The best thing I have heard said about the Chieftain is it sounds like an Overton. So why not just buy an Overton.
$80.00 cheaper. No waiting list.
I have had both Chieftains and Overtons in a couple of different keys (Bb and lower). They may have a similar lineage, but there ARE differences in manufacture and playability. The Overton plays a little tighter than the Chieftain. It takes just a little more work, but it also rewards you with expressive play.

It is the same old argument, which is better. The only way you will know for sure is to try them both. I did, and like the Overton better.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Miwokhill

Post by Miwokhill »

That's a good point just made (by Wanderer) about the Chieftains and the Overtons. It seems lately a few people have said things like 'the Overtons are superior to the Chieftains but I haven't tried the New Range Chieftains'- so the comparison is to the older models. It would be nice to hear some side by side comparisons with the NR Chieftains to the Overtons. -- I have one of the new Jubilee practice low D's and the air requirements are fairly high I think, although the earlier version was even higher evidentally. - If I was going to suggest a lower priced Low D it would probably be the Dixon. --I have a feeling there may be something to Michael Coleman's recommendation of the Kerry a few posts back as well. -mike
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Would anyone like to send me a new-range Chieftain to try? I'm curious.

Thanks,
Bloomfield
/Bloomfield
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

Bloomfield wrote:Would anyone like to send me a new-range Chieftain to try? I'm curious.

Thanks,
Bloomfield
After you have spent some time with it you can send it on to me for an indepth study as only those of us in Washington can perform.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Bloomfield wrote:Would anyone like to send me a new-range Chieftain to try? I'm curious.

Thanks,
Bloomfield
I'd send you mine, but I'm too taken with it--most everyone at session is too. Even two of our fiddlers have commented on how nice it was. Having had both, the new range is much superior to the old model.
jking

Post by jking »

my experiance with overtons and chieftains went something like this.
Had original design chieftain. Thought it was okay but a bit off on tuning.

Got an Overton. WOW fantastic. Took it to sessions had problem with second octave being flat until totaly warmed (to be expected with an Overton) However unless being played every tune at session it would take the first time through a song to be in tune in upper octave. This is a great whistle and yes 5 min of warming it up turns it into prob one of the best low d's. Just not practial for session play unless you mind misssing parts of tunes blowing down the windway to warm it up.

Got New range design chieftain. Sounds great. Its loud enough to keep up in our session here with 4-6 fiddlers etc, total of 15 players. It never plays flat even right of the bat ( im not sure how that works.) I can go 3-4 tunes with a high whistle, go back to it and it still plays on pitch. Very nice high register.
Miwokhill

Post by Miwokhill »

very interesting- and for the price of an Overton I could get a low D and a G (alto) Chieftain New Range. --The other day I went to Kerrywhistles.com and there are some pretty nice 'movie' snips of Phil Hardy, I presume, playing all the keys of whistles. Nice to watch the piper's grip being demonstrated too, especially for the beginner. The demo movies are under the heading of SHOP. There are also other movies under MOVIES.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

You know, this type of thread can go on forever and get lots of people all riled up as they try to defend their preferences. Sometimes the do seem to go on forever. The fact of the matter is you cannot, and will not, know what you like until you do like most of us have done. That is to try out at least 3 or 4 (in my case over a dozen) whistles from the key you are interested in to see which one fits your playing style and tonal requirements.

I have tried Overton, Howard, Kerry, Bleazey, Copeland, Hoover, Susato, Jubilee (2 different ones), Alba, Shaw and a couple of others I can't recall right now. They were all decent to exceptional whistles (except the Shaw, I REALLY did not like that one) and they all have proponents and detractors for any number of reasons. We picked Overton and Bleazey as our favorites for our own PERSONAL reasons. You have to find your own nitch.

Good luck.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus