FULL SET OF "D" PIPES BY GINSBERG - eBay

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Lorenzo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Lorenzo »

Just to give you an example, yesterday I had four successful auctions end:

1. sold for $270. Insertion fee was $2.40, picture fee .75 cents, gallery picture .25 cents. The final value fee (insertion, pic, gallery+ebay commision) was $8.05. That's the total it cost me to sell the item. Ebay adds a commission fee of about $4.65 on top of the listing fee (3.40+4.65=$8.05).

2. sold for $2,146. Insertion fee was $4.80, picture fee .60 cents, gallery picture .25 cents. The final value fee was $45.32. That's the total it cost me to sell the item.

3 & 4 sold for about $650 ea. and cost a total (final value fee) of about $18 ea.

It's really not too bad considering a world wide audience. Try listing any automobile in a newspaper of any large city in the US for a 3 day weekend. What...anywhere from $35-45? And without pictures.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Back to Ginsberg :o anyone heard the set?they may look purdy...
but how do they play???
I remember his son playing one o his dads sets at Miltown,albeit a few years back,and it leaked like a sieve,not much of an advert.......
Uilliam
djm

Post by djm »

Uilliam, would that have more to say about the son's ability to keep up the set? I have heard some very strong opinions about Ginsberg sets, both pro and con, bet seldom any details. Leaks are easily fixed. Does anyone have any more forthcoming details about what they like/dislike about Ginsberg sets?

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
daveboling
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by daveboling »

The main problem I see is if there is a lack of interested bidders. Even if I post a proxy bid (where the bid increments automatically with competing bids) greater than the reserve price, unless another bidder pushes the bidding up to where the final bid (mine, his, or a sniper) is over the reserve price, nobody wins. I don't believe that ebay has a "let's skip past the punters and get to the real bidding" option. This would allow you to bid (and have that bid posted) what you would willing to go, without waiting for someone else (welcome, or not) to chime in. I might be wrong, it would be at least the second time... :D

Irrespectively submitted,

dave boling
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

For eBAY auctions, "If your maximum bid is the first to meet or exceed the reserve price, the effective bid displayed will automatically be raised to the reserve price."

So, only bid that is high enough will trigger the reserve price to be displayed and become the 'effective bid'.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

djm wrote: Leaks are easily fixed. djm
If that were so in this particular case, why didnae Dad fix em for him before sending him to Miltown? :roll:
djm

Post by djm »

Uilliam, how would I know why he did or did not? You're closer than I am to find this out.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Royce

Post by Royce »

NicoMoreno wrote:actually, that is the way it works:

Insertion Fees
Starting or Reserve Price Insertion Fee
$0.01 - $0.99 $0.30
$1.00 - $9.99 $0.35
$10.00 - $24.99 $0.60
$25.00 - $49.99 $1.20
$50.00 - $199.99 $2.40
$200.00 - $499.99 $3.60
$500.00 or more $4.80

Reserve Listing prices are higher, and if you don't sell it you have to pay a fee, however if you do, you don't pay that fee... Weird to me.
Which is offset by the final sale price fee. I believe it's weighted so you end up making up any front-end gain for starting with a low listing fee.

Royce
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

This is a warning message: twice now I have received what appear to be fradulent emails from someone through the ebay email system, all related to my bidding on this item.

The first one came right after the first time the bidding ended on this set of pipes. Someone sent me an email throught Ebay saying that they had an identical "Factory Sealed" uilleann pipe for sale that he would let go for my bid amount: which I thought was both strange and funny. I wonder what a "Factory Sealed" Ginsberg full set would look like.

The second one came today saying that the seller was offering the set to me as Second Offering because the winning bid did not send the money and they were accepting my offer: strange since it is currently listed a second time and the first time didn't meet the reserve price.

It has been a while since I bid on Ebay. I didn't know this type of fraud was prevelent now.
beckitybek

Post by beckitybek »

This is just my personal opinion, but in general I reckon that if a pipemaker has sets of pipes surplus to requirements that need to be sold on Ebay then there has got to be a question about their quality. In my experience any pipemaker of any repute has people lining up at the door waiting to get a set, and that those that have sets 'on the shelf' might look pretty but are rarely the business.

Having said that, one surprising exception to this was a set made by a Spanish company that my local music shop had in and wanted an opinion on - they were extremely well crafted, had a good tone and played spot on in tune all the notes on the chanter.! Sat there on the shelf (albeit fairly expensive) waiting for a new owner!
AlanB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by AlanB »

Becky,

Would that be Hevia, or whatever they're called? I had a similar experience reeding up one recently, it was a very nicely crafted thing and was true in tuning and tone.

Alan
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Sounds like a Hevia alright. We have one out here that will be for sale at the So Cal Tionol.

Patrick.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Well.....I did try and tell ye so :roll: :roll:
Uilliam
beckitybek

Post by beckitybek »

Yeah it was a Hevia - it was certainly the nicest 'off the shelf' set I've ever come across. Ideal for anyone wanting 'instant' access if you've got the cash I suppose.
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

What sort of price do the Spanish Pipes you mention go for?