Where would you go to live and work in the UK?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Where would you go to live and work in the UK?

Scotland
43%
England
32%
Wales
11%
Northern Ireland
14%

Total votes: 37

Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Hear a Yorkshire man, or worse
Hear a Cornish man converse
I'd rather hear a choir singing flat

;)
/Bloomfield
susnfx
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by susnfx »

I'll admit to being one of the ones who voted for Wales. There are lots of places in the world I'd love to live--temporarily--just try them out for a year or two to see what it's like. After seeing "The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill but Came Down a Mountain," Wales has been one of the places I'd like to try out.

Susan
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

Bloomfield wrote:Hear a Yorkshire man, or worse

;)
Henry and Bloomfield may both disagree, but I actually enjoy the intonations of the common Englishman when he speaks. (But then again, I also enjoy the sound of chickens cackling in a barn.)

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
emmline

Post by emmline »

;)
Yes! That's it! I knew you reminded me of someone Bloom!
It's 'Enry 'Iggins.
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

emmline wrote:

;)
Yes! That's it! I knew you reminded me of someone Bloom!
It's 'Enry 'Iggins.
In a line that never ends
Come an army of her friends
Come to jibber and to chatter
And to tell her what the matter
Is with you!

:roll:
/Bloomfield
emmline

Post by emmline »

Spoken like a confirmed bachelor.
moxy

Post by moxy »

SteveShaw wrote:...here near Bude in north Cornwall... I've landed on my feet here where I am now. Lovely seaside town of 8000 people. You always meet several people you know when you go into town - it can be an absolute bloody disaster when you want to get things done! Soft, gentle countryside, and the loveliest coast imaginable. Don't argue with me anybody till you've been here to see! (Mention this thread and I'll buy you a pint!)

Cheers!

Steve
Wow, that sounds really nice Steve. Thanks for the inspiration!!
moxy

Post by moxy »

This is all rather exciting!

Imagine, packing up and moving to a whole new country, on the other side of the ocean... (I keep reminding myself that there will be good AND bad days, just like over here in Canada... but it's still exciting!!)

I've seen comments about England, Scotland and Wales, but no comments about Northern Ireland. Does anybody have a sales pitch for Northern Ireland?
moxy

Post by moxy »

I guess there's no feedback to be had about Northern Ireland :)

OK, I've just read somewhere that NI has a lower cost of living than the Republic (accompanied by a lower salary range), and has less than half the crime of the whole of UK!... Not a sales pitch either is it...

In its favor, it has less than the average UK unemployment rate...

Still looks like Scotland's winning! What's the cost of living like in Edinburgh? Like, what's a decent starting salary in a regular kind of job?
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

;)
just you wite 'Enry 'Iggins, just you wite... :wink:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
brianholton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brianholton »

Let me make a pitch for Newcastle upon Tyne: I lived in Durham for a couple of years then moved to Newcastle, and found it a delightful city to live in. It's small enough to be easy to live in, and big enough to provide theatres, lots of music, and plenty of museums and galleries. It has some fabulous buildings, parks, beaches, access to fine countryside, and is a transport hub (airport, ferries to Holland and Scandinavia, main Aberdeen-London railway line).

And it has a wonderful tradition of folk music, absolutely unique: the Northumbrian smallpipes are just the beginning.

I loved it.

b
Linnhe

Edinburgh

Post by Linnhe »

I've lived in Edinburgh since 1997 and if I was to move here now, I wouldn't be able to afford to buy anywhere to live. My wee flat has doubled in value since 1998 when I bought it. It was never cheap to buy here apparently and there's been a huge explosion in the price of property during the past few years. According to the BBC, the average house price in Edinburgh is £146,000!

I can't help you with the cost of renting as I've never done it here. For a while it was cheaper to buy if you could, but I'm not sure that that's still the case.

Again, can't really help with your salary question. I was a legal secretary for a long time and earned c £15,000, but that was the top of the scale. I guess that there is plenty of work. There are many many young people from all over the world, but especially Australia, working in bars and pubs and clubs here (it is rare to hear an Edinburgh accent when you are buying a pint) and they seem to manage to stay.

But... Edinburgh is a great place to live and I love it dearly. There's everything you could want from a big city, including plenty live music. It's in quite a good position for exploring the rest of the country. It has this tweedy, fousty feel about it which I love, but if you want younger and more vibrant and dynamic, and lots and lots more music, Glasgow's the place. I don't know it first hand, but the music scene is reputed to be exceedingly lively over there.

I also spent 11 years in Manchester, another place that I hold dear. It really is a big city and I'm told there have been lots of changes for the better since I left.

And I did most of my growing up in Helston, Cornwall. I get very homesick for Cornwall in the Spring, maybe because it's significantly warmer than Edinburgh. SteveShaw's description gave me the warm fuzzies, and he's absolutely right.

You must be hugely excited, and I wish you luck wherever you decide to live. Could do with an adventure like that myself...
CHIFF FIPPLE

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

moxy wrote:
SteveShaw wrote:...here near Bude in north Cornwall... I've landed on my feet here where I am now. Lovely seaside town of 8000 people. You always meet several people you know when you go into town - it can be an absolute bloody disaster when you want to get things done! Soft, gentle countryside, and the loveliest coast imaginable. Don't argue with me anybody till you've been here to see! (Mention this thread and I'll buy you a pint!)

Cheers!

Steve
Wow, that sounds really nice Steve. Thanks for the inspiration!!
O'h he for got to say that yer canner move fer traffic jams, and in the summer more folk a bout than Flys around a meadow muffin.
Na Scotlands the place, but no them Lowlands :x its the Wild and wooley Highlands thats the place ta be ,and noe we have the Nettie yer can work we oot leavin the Croft :P
Ifin yer up this way Stick ya beak in :)
ImageStacey has the most bodacious fipples! & Message board
http://whistlenstrings.invisionzone.com ... t=0&p=3303&
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

I do agree with you about the Highlands, having spent many a long and idyllic sojourn there in the summers of my youth. But as you pointed to the one blight in Cornwall, the summer traffic (it's only bad in the 6-week summer school holidays anyway, and if you live here you soon get to know the roads the emmets don't know about), I must most respectfully point out that you have MIDGES.
These things are possibly put here by the Great Organiser to let us know that Paradise is still a step away.... :(
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
moxy

Post by moxy »

CHIFF FIPPLE wrote:Ifin yer up this way Stick ya beak in :)
I sure will! Where in the Highlands are ye?