Maryland Renaissance Festival

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
emmline
antispam: No

Maryland Renaissance Festival

Post by emmline »

Near Annapolis. Ok, I'll be there tomorrow. It's "pirate invasion weekend," which we just can't pass up. Wish you guys were all geographically proximal enough to see me there!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

If I had known a couple weeks ago I might have been able to go to that. It'd take a 10 hour train ride but I have no life and I've done it before.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Well dang, I shoulda' said something.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I was there today, too. Em, I didn't see your message till it was too late. So, did you stop by HMT or Patrick Olwell's booth? Patrick was there, which he is usually only 2 or 3 times a year. I talked with him, played three different styles of wooden flute (also unusual for them to have multiple wooden flutes), and also a really gorgeous boxwood six-key that Patrick restored and brought into tune. Plus we talked boxwood -- he's planted some in the right spots to yield some flute wood for his grandchildren. :)
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Yes, I did see Patrick. He and another young guy were playing. The flutes sounded nice, but I resisted.
I've been telling myself for years that the next time I go I'll send my kids off to do their own thing while I listen to music/look at shops that interest me/etc...and you'd think that at ages 12, 14, and 16 they'd want to do that, but they still seemed to prefer my constant attendance at everything they wanted to see.
But it's a fun (albeit crowded) diversion. Where else can you see a 6'5" Viking complete with horns and fur loincloth talking on a cell phone?
Mostly we pigged out on falafel, kabobs, cake, and cookies in a cone.
Oh...and my gymnastically-inclined 14 year old daughter almost put the big guys to shame on the climbing wall, but at about 5 feet tall she didn't have quite enough stretch to make it past the diagonal segment.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

I assume, being Pirate weekend, that you at least saw the Pyrates Royale? I love those guys.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Um...sort of, as I was pulled past on an excursion to the climbing wall. Like I said, next time I swear It'll be a different agenda, as in mine.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

emmline wrote:Um...sort of, as I was pulled past on an excursion to the climbing wall. Like I said, next time I swear It'll be a different agenda, as in mine.
A bloody shame. They're the whole reason for Pirate weekend...
Next year, as you say. That reminds me, I have one of their CDs at work... mmmm.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I can't believe you resisted the flute Emily. I wanted to come myself but I didn't have the money for the flute which would have been my main reason for going. There was only one wooden flute the day I was there but I didn't try to play it. Probably a mistake on my part.

The middle ages must have been interesting if all the young ladies wore some of the leather lace on outfits that I saw there. But neither of you mentioned the jousting. I thought that was pretty cool.

I will be there again next year.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
emmline

Post by emmline »

I enjoy the jousting also. I'm not certain how authentic that about to pop out of one's bodice look really is.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

emmline wrote:I enjoy the jousting also. I'm not certain how authentic that about to pop out of one's bodice look really is.
Not in the middle ages.

Houpelands, coathardies, etc. did a pretty good job of covering up ( and keeping warm)

Now later on.......

I seem to remember reading that actually only a "bawd" wore the chemise off the shoulders... and those bodices..... Madonna did not invent the underwear as outerwear thing.....
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Crysania

Post by Crysania »

I was there for the whole weekend...lol. Didn't know anyone else from here was there. It was great fun! I hung around playing several tunes on my whistle at the Dragon's Inn late in the date Saturday and had a lot of people talk to me about it...one guy even came up and had me play a whistle he made...heavy sucker but it played well.

~Crysania
<i>~`~"I have nothing to say and I'm saying it." <blockquote>-- John Cage~`~</blockquote></i>
littlejohngael
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Post by littlejohngael »

Wow. We should really coordinate better. Gee. C&F really ought to sell a t-shirt or something. :lol: (yes, I know we do ...)

Ah well,

Little John
Crysania

Post by Crysania »

lol...of course, I was dressed in garb most of the day...maybe we need a big hat...or something...or maybe we should've been smart and mentioned it a while before the festival...people could have gotten together and played a random session somewhere at the faire! Drat!

Ah well...next time...

~Crysania
<i>~`~"I have nothing to say and I'm saying it." <blockquote>-- John Cage~`~</blockquote></i>