Olwell Flute for sale

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
sturob
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by sturob »

I never wanted to make an enemy.

My implication was more that you've amassed a collection. And the person who kept his/her flutes in tupperware was taking better care of them than most people to (they were kept in their cases in a big tupperware thing to keep at constant humidity). That's all. I like my inanimate objects too!

'Course, it all feels kind of sinful, liking possessions so much. Eh.

Maybe you should readjust your radar so you just don't see my posts. :)

Stuart
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Bretton wrote:There's a local gal who plays a beautiful blackwood keyed flute and keeps it wrapped up in a towell in a tupperwear container. I think she has a sponge in there too...moisture issues I guess.
Would that be Kara and her huge McGee?
I think she just went to work for Patrick Olwell, BTW.

FWIW, I might be the person ito whom sturob refers: I keep my flutes, in their cases, in a Rubbermaid Tote. (but NEVER Tupperware! :eek:!!!!!)

;-)

Also FWIW, it's not a big tote; thus not too many flutes, but the cases do take up some room.

And the last FWIW .... it really seems to be helping as far as humidity management goes.

xo,
cat.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Oops, just read the rest of this thread and caught more drift. Anyway, for $6.95, Rubbermaid totes are outstanding ways to protect the flutes I can't afford (financially or emotionally!) to replace. And hey. If maybe someday I can swing an Olwell, cool! It'll go in the tote, too.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Dana
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dana »

Hey, Rubbermaid is a much better value than Tupperware! I highly recommend it. :lol:

Dana
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

Cathy Wilde wrote: Would that be Kara and her huge McGee?
I think she just went to work for Patrick Olwell, BTW.
Yes, that's her. I don't know her well and didn't know she was going to work for Patrick Olwell...neat!

-Brett
David Levine

Hey Jessie

Post by David Levine »

Hey Jessie-- lighten up there. Nothing Stu said was meant to piss you off. He isn't like that.
And there's nothing wrong with having a large collection or in keeping them in an airtight container for moisture control. I'm sure he didn't want to make an enemy of you.
Time will tell who has fell and who's been left behind,
Most likely you'll go your way, I'll go mine.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Just to reiterate for those who didn't notice it in my first post, my anger at Stuart has little to do with this thread. It just seemed he decided to insult me for no apparent reason in this thread, but it's because he is angry at me for buying a flute from him and selling it for $50 more. I say it was mine to do with as I wished. He also says I overcharged him for postage when he won something in the raffle and wanted it expedited to another country. My mom mailed everything for me, as I had a very young infant at the time and I have to say that I didn't look at the receipt for the 50 or so things she mailed (I paid for all domestic shipping and told foreigners that I would pay for slow and cheap shipping, but if they wanted it faster, they could chip in) and I don't know if I overcharged him by a few dollars or not, but he says I did. Whatever. I wasn't intending to. I spent hundreds of dollars and even more hours raising $5400 for Jerry Freeman and I think Stuart has been completely petty with me. I told him that. Then he stated on the Wilkes flute thread that "someone" had bought a flute from him and sold it for more and that he would never do business with "that person" again and he was so horrified by the idea of someone making a small profit on something. I think his attitude toward me is petty and uncalled for. So now you are all up to date.
~JessieD
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Well, I think tupperware is for sissies, and I'm
glad you don't use it.

P. S. I add that i'm not alone in this opinion.
See Immanuel kant's 'Critique of Pure Sissies,' especially
the section on the transcendental unity of
tupperware. The problem isn't tupperware per se, mind you,
but tupperware as a flute container. People who use tupperware for
other purposes may or may not be sissies,
but those who put flutes in tupperware are definitely
sissies.
David Levine

Where?

Post by David Levine »

I keep my flutes in my underwear.
Time will tell who has fell and who's been left behind,
Most likely you'll go your way, I'll go mine.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

I'm sure, Jim, you've read Nietzche's "Mensch und Tuppermensch" in which he argues that using Tupperware negates one's existence.
David Levine wrote:I keep my flutes in my underwear.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers,
Aaron
sturob

Post by sturob »

JessieK wrote:I think his attitude toward me is petty and uncalled for. So now you are all up to date.
Yeah, and bringing all that up publicly isn't petty at all. I specifically didn't mention it, particularly when you were selling the flute, because I thought my feelings were petty. But they came up, and I told you how I felt. I'm sorry that the way I felt about what happened turned you into the victim. Oh, yeah, and I kept it to private messages, because I didn't think that people should be influenced by those thoughts I had.

I sold you a flute. It was then yours. You can do with it what you want, of course. But to go right back into the "community" we've got here on C&F and turn a little profit on it just seems unsavory to me. Which is the WHOLE reason I wrote you (Jessie) a private message about it, and I kept it private because I didn't want to be so petty as to tell the world. Now I wish I'd kept to the tenuous moral high ground and just said nothing.

Oh, well! So, the Olwell flute sold! And it's not in Tupperware. Or Rubbermaid. Actually, now I think it was a Rubbermaid footlocker kind of thing that I was thinking of in the first place.

How on earth was that insulting? If I lived in a dry climate, I would probably put all my flute cases in such a container to keep the humidity constant. Sure, I guess it was a little bit of a jab, but it was good-natured, because I don't think anything that's happened between us is grounds for war, or even enduring bad feelings.

Sigh!

Stuart
treeshark

Post by treeshark »

Don't you mean Underware? That's where I keep my flutes. It's humid and abounding in wood nutrifying oils. It also enhances my manly outline.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I'm sure, Jim, you've read Nietzche's "Mensch und Tuppermensch" in which he argues that using Tupperware negates one's existence.

oh, god

And this stuff about undies.
Please, this is a family site!
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Sure, I guess it was a little bit of a jab, but it was good-natured, because I don't think anything that's happened between us is grounds for war, or even enduring bad feelings.

It isn't and won't be grounds for war or enduring bad feelings, IMO.
Everybody has now expressed themselves and we can
get on with music. That would be the best way
to minimize bad feelings.

Forgive my pomposity in trying to keep the peace.
I love you all.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

sturob wrote:Yeah, and bringing all that up publicly isn't petty at all. I specifically didn't mention it, particularly when you were selling the flute, because I thought my feelings were petty.
Stuart, the fact that you didn't mention it while I was selling the flute is completely irrelevant. You SO DID air it publicly. May I show you exhibit A, posted to the Wilkes flute thread (where Sven had told me lies about a flute and I had reported the lies before being set straight on the matter)?
sturob wrote:...I have actually posted to this thread twice, only to delete the post as soon as it was up...I sold a flute recently for less than I paid for it, a good flute, no cracks or anything, known maker, not a Cadillac but more a Hyundai. The person from whom I bought it turned around and sold it in about a month, and that person's asking price was higher than that person had paid.

I asked about it, privately, and received a rather nasty message putting me squarely in my place. I no longer owned the flute, and it was the property of the new owner, to do with as the new owner wished. And by the way, I should have asked more for it in the first place. I chose not to air the dirty laundry in public, but instead decided not to deal with this person any more. So, hands washed.

...If someone's practices in selling or buying flutes bothers you, just don't buy a flute from that person, nor sell one to that person. No one's forcing anyone into these deals....

Wow, posting messages can be so cathartic.
So...people had seen you selling the flute and then they had seen me selling the flute. You aired it in public and people knew you were talking about me. You called me nasty (I wasn't nasty; I was frank). And then you came onto this thread, where I wasn't even involved (!) and threw an insult my way. It was getting out of hand. I won't stand by and have you do that. So now it's all out in the open.
~JessieD