Chiff & Fipple Diet Club

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jbarter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jbarter »

RonKiley wrote:The goal for Wednesday was below 200. He will just have to yell at me.
Don't worry Ron. The direction's right, it's only the speed he can grumble about. You're better than you were last time he saw you. Maybe he'll yell at you quietly.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

Well it went better than I expected. I weighed in with all my clothes on at 211. I was 206 sans clothes when I got up this morning. When he looked at it he said wow you have lost 20 pounds since June. I guess the nurse wrote the weight down wrong in June. That is why he was so insistent that I lose weight.

My total cholesterol is 160 with LDL 42. He increased my lovastatin because the total was too high. He wants it below 150. I am well within limits on the old criteria but they have just revised "Desirable" lower.

Headin toward 180
Ron
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

I mentioned on Jessie's initial post(back in April, I think) that I was going to hold myself to a diet plan and reduce my dependancy on sugar. And all was going well and my waist was much smaller . . . until I went to the movies and ate a box of junior mints and threw my blood sugar into a tailspin. And that ended the low sugar diet. Talk about falling of the horse.
None the less, I have tried to use sugar substitutes and stop filling up on empty calories. I'm going to get back in the saddle and hold to it. I feel better and eat less if my blood sugar isn't constantly spiking and falling.
I've been using a product called "Stevia Plus" to sweeten my morning tea and afternoon coffee. I pick it up for $6.99 (50 individual packets . . . two servings to a packet, but I use the whole packet anyway)at the heath food store. The information and benifits/risks about stevia seem positive. It seems to carry no risks and may help in stabilizing blood sugar and reducing sugar cravings. It does not have FDA approval to be used as a sweetner, so you won't find stevia sweetened Coke on the market . . . although you will find it's used in Japan for that purpose. It's the main non-sugar sweetner in that country.
So, stevia is sold in this country under the use of a nutritional suppliment. I don't put much stock in the FDA. Plenty of dangerous products get to market and stay on the market, if the winds of big business blow that way. Other less dangerous products get yanked if a new product comes to market. If you google "nutrasweet" and "stevia", you'll find information on the dangers of the FDA approved nutrasweet and the clean bill of health that stevia recieves.
I would be a hyprocrite to say I don't drink Diet Coke. I do. But given the alternatives, I like being able to choose the additives that go in my food. I'm also going to give brown rice syrup a try in my morning hot cerial and in baking as a substitute for white cane sugar.
I wanted to see how much processed sugar plays in my current weight. I'm not overweight, but I do carry more than I would like in my torso. The one thing I have noticed is that by eating less sugar, I am less hungry and snack less. Or I can eat a little bit of sweet but not want more. I just have to restrict myself from those sugar dense treats like peppermint patties or candy bars. I'm also avoiding high frutose corn syrup as well, which ends up in almost every food. Instead, I come home and have a big glass of orange juice, which may be high in sugar but does not contain any added sugars like corn syrup. It also has nutriants and anti-oxidants. I can't see what's wrong with orange juice . . . I know it's a no-no on atkins, but has so many benifits. I did try the Crystal light orange drink(a nutrasweet Tang) but I had to admit it was kinda yucky tasting. I caught a cold and bought some orange juice(which I hadn't drank in a long time) and enjoyed it more than I ever had. Maybe because I'm eating less sugar?
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Age - 49
Height 5'3"
Starting weight 160 lbs
Current weight 152 lbs
Desired weight 130 lbs (or less)

Everything's been thrown all to pot this week. I went down with a particularly nasty bug this weekend. I was in bed for 36 hours with no food and just a little water. I was also unable to stay awake for more than about 5 minutes at a time. I won't be up to taking any exercise until Tuesday at the earliest and I've been left feeling really hungry, probably my body trying to make up for what I missed. :(
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Miwokhill

Post by Miwokhill »

I'm not really on a diet but I did cut down on eating ice cream. I'm kind of thin actually so when I gain any weight at all it shows. I just wanted to throw in a thought about what mamakash was saying about orange juice. Lately I've been making smoothies with oj, frozen pineapple, blueberries, raspberries, a banana and a carton of yogurt, (a brand without the fructose sweetener) oh and a little wheatgerm thrown in. Anyway, I've found my favorite oj to use is the minutemaid no pulp. The pulp version would sometimes do a number on my digestive system and I had avoided the mm brand altogether because it was from concentrate but I've found it to be about the best in not messing with my stomach etc. There is that brand that starts with an O that is probably the best but it's pretty expensive and lately even when it's on sale it's more than I want to pay. Also, the frozen pineapple I found to be least expensive at whole foods. Surprisingly the trader joe version that I'd expect to be cheaper was 3 times as much. Is it ok to name brands here? -mike
JessieK
antispam: No

Post by JessieK »

It is difficult for me to stay focused on this, because I feel like it is going so darn slowly. I am within a pound or two of me prepregnancy weight, so I have lost almost 40 pounds since I gave birth six months ago, but around this weight, I fluctuate and I don't see any real progress. Bear in mind that, before pregnancy, what I weigh now was the highest I would allow, and I would go on a diet and lose 20 or 25 pounds. Man, having a baby totally changes body chemistry. Yes, everyone had warned me about that. I know I should exercise. Some of are the theory that I should just hurrry up and have all the kids I want (a couple more) and then work on my body, because doing it in between is a waste of energy, but I don't want to just keep going up! My life and marriage are happy and Dan makes me feel beautiful even when I am not (objectively), and that is really wonderful, but damn...I have certain standards for myself that I am having some trouble living up to. Ok, self-pitying rant over.
~JessieD
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

JessieK wrote:My life and marriage are happy and Dan makes me feel beautiful even when I am not (objectively)
I am curious to hear what criteria you use to determine that objectively! Not by looking at yourself in a mirror, I trust, which would be about as subjective an evaluation as one can imagine. ;)

Sorry, nothing to add apart from that. That one word just caught me and, well, forced me to reply. :D

Cheers,
Jens
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Jens_Hoppe wrote:I am curious to hear what criteria you use to determine that objectively! Not by looking at yourself in a mirror, I trust, which would be about as subjective an evaluation as one can imagine. ;)
No, of course not. It's from seeing myself in photographs. That's not at all subjective. ;)
~JessieD
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

I DID IT!!!

I walked by the donut box in the cafeteria not once, but TWICE and did not take a donut!!

Now, the choices were not all that great and if an old fashioned or a fritter had been in there......

And I HATE 4th Wednesdays here at work. Not just a box, but DOZENS of donuts and a lot of them old fashioned!!!! ARGH! I try to only take one.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

Here's a link to an article I found while Googling. It states what I heard from a PBS show . . . and I never knew that corn syrup played a role in weight. Or how much we eat as Americans.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 4VKMH1.DTL

Anyway, I'm watching my waist shrink again. I like to see that.
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Deadly side-effect in vitamin boosters

By JEREMY LAURANCE
New Zealand Herald

Vitamin supplements increase the death rate of people taking them, medical researchers have found - but they don't know why.

By JANE E. BRODY
New York Times
Published: October 5, 2004

With Fruits and Vegetables, More Can Be Less

What determines how much we eat and how much we weigh? Is it the amount of fat in foods, the presence of carbohydrates, the size of our portions, what we drink with our meals, that elusive trait called willpower? Conflicting popular advice can prompt would-be dieters to give up before they even start.

The good news based on solid research is that you can eat more - probably more food than you're now eating - and weigh less, if you choose more of the right kinds of foods.
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

I used to be a right fat basmati. I still am, but a healthier slightly less fat basmati. I took up exercising and running and ate less.
woods

It works!

Post by woods »

I haven't had the time to read all the replies in this topic. But I hope I can be of some encouragement.

I started the Atkins diet back at the beginning of March, 2004. I'm still on phase 1 'cause I have an enormous amount to lose. I've been taking thyroid since I was in the 4th grade, and gaining weight steadily since I got into my sedentary job (computer software architect). :(

When I started the diet I could not weigh myself on our home scale 'cause it doesn't go that high. I still haven't weighed myself yet, even though it might work. But I have gone down 9 inches around the waste. I won't go into the actual numbers, but when I started I was at size, say, S. I am now wearing pants of size S-8, (not S-9 only because they don't have odd sizes!). I just bought a new belt 'cause I got tired of punching wholes in the old one, and having it wrap around my left side. It's of size S-8 and I'm on the 3rd notch in. :wink:

I have more energy than I have for years, and actually enjoy hiking. I may soon be able to buy a bike that won't keep popping the spokes, which will help me even more. I know some folks have been very critical of the Atkins diet. It may cause complications for me someday, although it hasn't yet. I was just so sick and tired of being morbidly obese for so many years that I was ready to try anything. I saw a lady at work lose a bunch of weight (although she quit the diet and is just holding level now), and I saw several folks at our church lose 50 lbs or more. So I figured, “what can I lose?” (pun intended?).

What ever diet works for you, keep on it! :)
Warren D. Swan
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I have been taking a break from my diet. I lost the baby weight (yay, me!) and am now enjoying food for a while before going on to lose another 15-20 pounds before I get pregnant again. It really helps to have a wonderfully supportive husband. He wants me to have the body I would feel most comfortable in, but only for me. He makes me feel beautiful even when my head tells me otherwise. We had our wedding anniversary this week. :)
~JessieD