Celtic Jazz

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
SwinginCelt
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Celtic Jazz

Post by SwinginCelt »

A friend of mine asked me for recommendations on Celtic Jazz music. They wanted it for a present for someone else.

Michael McGoldrick's Fused CD was the first thing to come to mind. There are also some Cormac Breatnach tunes that are kinda Jazzy.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on whay they would consider Celtic Jazz?

Cheers,
Rob.
dapple

Post by dapple »

~ David
tommyk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by tommyk »

For "Celtic jazz", Nightnoise comes to mind. As does bits of Bela Fleck & the Flecktones.
- Tommy Kochel

The Knotwork Band

www.theknotworkband.com
FaceBook: The Knotwork Band
theknotworkband@gmail.com
BrassBlower

Re: Celtic Jazz

Post by BrassBlower »

SwinginCelt wrote:
Michael McGoldrick's Fused CD was the first thing to come to mind.
Capercaillie. :D

With their throbbing bass lines and wah-wah-koo-ka-choo guitars, it's hard to tell if there's some jazz influence there, or if they're just stuck in the 70s.

And how about our own Phil Hardy? :D :D
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

Phil Hardy. He has a good selection of his own cd's with clips at his website. www.kerrywhistles.com
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

toughknot wrote:Phil Hardy. He has a good selection of his own cd's with clips at his website. www.kerrywhistles.com
I think Phil's playing defies musical categories.
/Bloomfield
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

Bloomfield wrote:
toughknot wrote:Phil Hardy. He has a good selection of his own cd's with clips at his website. www.kerrywhistles.com
I think Phil's playing defies musical categories.
True,although much of it does have a jazzy yet celtic sound ,feel, influence - or as the French say " a certain, I don't know what"
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

If it's not just whistle you're after check out Didier Squiban.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
tuaz

Post by tuaz »

Try the Bocle Brothers.

Their "Celtic Tales" and "Celtic Tales: Pas En D[something]" are pretty straightahead jazz or fusion. Their band setup: vibes, drums, guitar, Michael Brecker on tenor sax, a double bass player who plays quite interesting bowed solos, but they also have a uilleann pipe/low whistle player.

They used to have a page at the now-defunct mp3.com, but you should be able to find at least the 2nd album on Amazon.com (their first album may or may not be available, and I don't think it's listed under "Bocle Brothers"; you'll have to wade thru lots of new agey albums all titled "Celtic Tales").

I'll let you know the full name of the 2nd album when I get home and am able to dig thru my CDs.

[post-edit: go here for details about Pas An Dour:

http://celtictales.com/Get%20CD/bonus_menu1/page2.html ]
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I have often wondered how to classify Phil's playing. I enjoy some of the things he plays but not all. And since he has given them away I have three of his CDs. Talbert St. Clair is another that I guess could be called new age. Same as Phil I enjoy some of his numbers but not all. I don't know of anything I would call Celtic Jazz but in my mind I have a very narrow definition of Jazz.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Go to the source. The first and best Celtic fusion band was Moving Hearts and they still sound good today. For a pale modern imitation, try Kila.
bustapipuh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by bustapipuh »

Jeremy Kittel is both a fantastic celtic and jazz fiddle player. His new cd "Roaming" features both, with a couple tracks combining the two genres. Theres a band called "Jazz from the Shamrock Shores" which is a celtic/jazz compositional fusion band comprised of very accomplished jazz musicians, and they have currently have one album out (i believe it's self titled). Niall Keegan is not a jazz musician, but his solo album has some jazz influence in there. I wouldn't classify Fused or Capercallie as celtic-jazz, but if you're looking for more of that "jazzy-ish" sound, Coolfin's album is also very good. The guitarist Ian Carr is another jazz influenced musician, and almost anything he's on reflects that (particularly any of the swap albums, and fyace with karen tweed). Flook also has a minor jazz influence.

One important point to keep in mind is that an absolutely integral part of, if not defining element of jazz, is western music containing a large proportion of improvisation. A lot of these "celtic jazz" albums are mis-labeled, because there's little to no improvisation on them. And what improvisation there is very rarely uses the sophistacted use melodic approaches to the mind-boggling array of chord substitions one can incorporate into improvised melodies. What might make them sound jazzy, is most likely the use of the more sophisticated chord structures found in jazz. But I've only heard one album (jazz from the shamrock shores) that literally combines jazz and celtic music: jig and reel like tunes coupled with with walking bass lines, tritone and flat nine chord substitutions, rootless voicings, swung rhythm, the melody played behind the beat in a straight eighth note feel, a majority of improvisation and the many other factors that go into making notes and rhythm turn into jazz.
Not that the many mis-labelled albums aren't good, they just aren't what they're claiming to be.

This is something I see happening quite often and I think it's important to distinguish what the real defining qualities each kind of music are (literally and or inuitively), to allow us communicate more accurately about music itself.

I'm also curious about what other real jazz/celtic fusion albums there are out there, cause I only know of the few I've mentioned.
Feadan

Post by Feadan »

There is a wonderful Breton band called Skeduz whose CD "Couleur Livioù" is a nice Jazz-Trad fusion recording. I'm also fond of The Irish band Deiseal (Cormac Breatnach) but I don't know if you can get their CD anymore. Mícheál Ó Súilleabháin's CD "The Dolphin's Way" is good jazz piano renderings of some traditional tunes.

Cheers,
David
Last edited by Feadan on Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Wombat wrote:Go to the source. The first and best Celtic fusion band was Moving Hearts and they still sound good today. For a pale modern imitation, try Kila.
I was wondering recently why I had never seen a reference to Moving Hearts on these pages.
Without a doubt,one of the greatest bands to come out of Ireland.
Not to dispute the Wombats theory of the Hearts being the first but I remember "Horslips" having a fusion approach to ITM some years before the Hearts.
The major difference being that ALL of the Hearts were consumate musicians, Horslips were less gifted in the actual playing of ITM.

http://www.horslips.com/

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

dubhlinn wrote:
Wombat wrote:Go to the source. The first and best Celtic fusion band was Moving Hearts and they still sound good today. For a pale modern imitation, try Kila.
I was wondering recently why I had never seen a reference to Moving Hearts on these pages.
Without a doubt,one of the greatest bands to come out of Ireland.
Not to dispute the Wombats theory of the Hearts being the first but I remember "Horslips" having a fusion approach to ITM some years before the Hearts.
The major difference being that ALL of the Hearts were consumate musicians, Horslips were less gifted in the actual playing of ITM.

http://www.horslips.com/

Slan,
D.
Horslips were certainly first, Dubhlinn, but they don't strike me as being quite jazzy enough to fit the bill. More prog or folk rock fusion to my ears although it's been an awfully long time since I listened to them so maybe I'm being unfair.

We agree about Moving Hearts being the band that took this to where it could go. Isn't Eoghan O'Neill an awesome bass player? Check out The Storm but anyhting you can find of theirs will contain good moments.