Temper, temper

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
talasiga
antispam: No

Re: Temper, temper

Post by talasiga »

Nanohedron wrote:........ninny.

Wow! Do they still use that term in America?
I thought it went out with sandshoes and mohair socks.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Sandshoes and mohair socks went out?
Reasonable person
Walden
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

He's been putting up with mob scenes like this for most of his career, spanning from the late 60's to the present, I suppose it gets a little old after a while and an outburst now and then isn't surprising to me. Who knows, he may have just come from a fight with his partner and being mobbed set him off. I know that if I stepped outside after having a knock down, drag out spat with my wife I would be vehemently uninclined to being mobbed by the media folk. Whatever the reason, he strikes me as a fellow who needed to vent a little steam. Doesn't change my opinion of his impressive talent and body of work. Elton John's influence on me got me out of classical piano and into rock-n-roll piano, thusly a greater circle of friends. Thanks Elton, go on and have as many 'hissy-fits' as you want or need to. :D
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Walden wrote:Sandshoes and mohair socks went out?
Went out in 65 I reckon. Never seen again.
:D
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

glauber wrote:
Walden wrote:I know what it is to be swarmed by crowds, and it's no fun.
Me, i'm just a normal guy.
Normal people don't get a mention in "Ulysses"....,

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

Cranberry wrote:He actually has short stubby fingers to play piano so well.
He does! He always looks so comical to me, playing the piano with those stubby little fingers. And yet the music he plays is beautiful. Anyway, just felt the need to express my opinion, which unlike vomitbunny, is always highly intelligent and correct :D

Heather
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

Actually, Elton is mostly right, though a celeb should know better than to give in to such urges.

The media, especially the sort that covers pop concerts and the like, really are vile pigs - that's true all over the world. Add in the cultural differences in asia and being mobbed takes on a whole new meaning.

I can tell you from personal experience that being anywhere near a mob in much of Asia, let alone the target of the mob, is not a pleasant experience for any westerner.

I remember flying out of Kuala Lumpur Malaysia - the plane to Singapore was broken and they were shuffling people onto the limited number of remaining flights. Of course, we all had connections to make in Singapore. Myself and the three or four other westerners stood bemused as everyone else mobbed the counter, waving their tickets in the air, shoving each other out of the way to push to the front, and shouting out their connections. In any western airport they would have been calling for the riot police and everybody would have been maced.

After a few minutes of getting shuffled steadily backward I realized that I was either going to join the fray or end up spending another night in KL or Singapore - so I jumped in waving my ticket and yelling louder than any of them. I was much taller and stronger than any of them so I regained my place up front and got my flight out. :)
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Perhaps a little public stir now and again can actually help a career along by keeping the person in the public eye?

However, reporters do sometimes go too far. It may simply be they were in his space, in his face, and he just suddenly found himself angry. Celebs are people, too: they get angry, they get tired, and sometimes they make bad choices.

--James
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

peeplj wrote:Perhaps a little public stir now and again can actually help a career along by keeping the person in the public eye?

However, reporters do sometimes go too far. It may simply be they were in his space, in his face, and he just suddenly found himself angry. Celebs are people, too: they get angry, they get tired, and sometimes they make bad choices.

--James
And let's be frank (or ginger) and admit that his was not a particularly violent outburst... I mean he called them "pigs"... here they would have been much more likely dubbed something far more... um... "colorful"... and more closely related to a less respected portion of the anatomy.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Brian Lee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

And people wonder why movies like "Papparazi" are being made. :roll:
Father Emmet

Post by Father Emmet »

Brian Lee wrote:Sometimes I'll yell PIG! PIG!! In the middle of a session.
Much more effective than yelling SWINE! But Elton's right, VILE PIG! works best.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Cranberry wrote:
Darwin wrote:Famous people are like Gods. They can do whatever they like.
Don't tell that to Martha Stewart.
My first reaction was to say "who?"

Then I googled the name, and discovered she is some sort of cook, right?

That's stardom maybe, but not International A-list for the past 30-something years stardom.

It would be hard for Elton to be in the public eye that long and not get caught in a bad mood a few times. At least he still has all his own hair*.

*in a box under the bed.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

talasiga wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:........ninny.

Wow! Do they still use that term in America?
Some of us are not ones to pass up a good word when it fits to a tee. I think of it as upholding tradition. I also use "groovy", "threads", and "chortle", among others.

Maybe it's more like upholding atavism.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Has anyone ever sat through a talk show interview with Sir Elton some time in, say, the last ten years? He goes on, and on, and on, and on about how giving up drugs and alcohol gave him his life back.

After a few interviews I realised that the life he retrieved was one in which he goes on endlessly telling people how giving up alcohol and drugs gave him his life back. :roll:
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

the atavistic avatar
:)