Which of your whistles is the Easiest to play?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

glauber wrote: You must have lived a protected life! :D
Ido, I avoid the world at large.

Seriously though, every time the subject comes up I pull the old Sweetone from the vase with the useless whistles and confrirm it is godfeckin awfull. Admitted, it's the c that is supposedly worse than the D but the D I bought at the same time I gave away, couldn't bear having it in the house. FWIW I have never ever seen even a vaguely serious whistleplayer play one, in fact I have never sen anyone play music on one.
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

Peter Laban wrote:Seriously though, every time the subject comes up I pull the old Sweetone from the vase with the useless whistles and confrirm it is godfeckin awfull. Admitted, it's the c that is supposedly worse than the D but the D I bought at the same time I gave away, couldn't bear having it in the house. FWIW I have never ever seen even a vaguely serious whistleplayer play one, in fact I have never sen anyone play music on one.
I used to have a nice one (D). I should have kept it. :lol: Gave it to Mack Hoover.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I go with Bloomfield they are just different to play. There are some that are easy enough to play but they just aren't pleasant to my ear. The Susato comes to mind. Some I find to have such an unpleasant sound as to be virtually unplayable. However, I find that a particular whistle may match my mood on a particular day. That will change from day to day and sometimes from tune to tune. There is nothing quite as nice as a good Generation. Many a Generation has been tweaked that didn't need to be. The individual just needed to spend more time learning how to play it. Been there, done that, am guilty.

Ron
BoneQuint

Vaguely Serious

Post by BoneQuint »

Peter Laban wrote:I have never ever seen even a vaguely serious whistleplayer play one, in fact I have never sen anyone play music on one.
Check out Markamot. At 1:05 and 1:44 it's clear he's playing a Sweetone. Maybe we can take up a collection and send him a nicer whistle...
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Hands down, Burke black tip brass D.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Peter Laban wrote: Ido, I avoid the world at large.

Seriously though, every time the subject comes up I pull the old Sweetone from the vase with the useless whistles and confrirm it is godfeckin awfull. Admitted, it's the c that is supposedly worse than the D but the D I bought at the same time I gave away, couldn't bear having it in the house. FWIW I have never ever seen even a vaguely serious whistleplayer play one, in fact I have never sen anyone play music on one.
Would you believe that some people would suggest that one should hunt through several (possibly dozens) of certain brands of cheapies until one finds a "good one"? I wonder if those same people would make the same effort to find a "good" sweetone, or would just dismiss them based upon the one or two that they had and weren't happy with. What do you think?
BrassBlower

Re: Vaguely Serious

Post by BrassBlower »

BoneQuint wrote:
Peter Laban wrote:I have never ever seen even a vaguely serious whistleplayer play one, in fact I have never sen anyone play music on one.
Check out Markamot. At 1:05 and 1:44 it's clear he's playing a Sweetone. Maybe we can take up a collection and send him a nicer whistle...
One would think that as seriously as the Faroe Islanders take their music, they would import some better whistles.
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

DCrom wrote:
FJohnSharp wrote:I agree that the Sweettone is an easy cheapie to play. (Mine is) horribly out of tune but it plays easy.
Hmm. All of my D Sweetones are pretty much OK. But I've never found a Sweetone C that was properly in-tune. My Meg C was pretty bad, but that might just have been Meg (lack of) QC.

Pulling out the head a bit on my Meg C helped a lot - still not perfectly in-tune, but much better.
Actually mine is a C
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Wanderer wrote:Would you believe that some people would suggest that one should hunt through several (possibly dozens) of certain brands of cheapies until one finds a "good one"? I wonder if those same people would make the same effort to find a "good" sweetone, or would just dismiss them based upon the one or two that they had and weren't happy with. What do you think?
In my experience, unlike the brand-which-should-not-be-named-here-but-it-does-start-with-a-G ;) , Sweetones are rather consistent in their sound and playing characteristics. In my opinion, searching through dozens of them to find a good one would be a fruitless exercise.

I agree with Peter that Sweetones are pretty awful. No, not (by far) the worst whistles I have had the misfortune to have tried but darn awful all the same.

That being said, I do think Sweetones are very, very easy to play for a beginner, being about as forgiving as one can imagine. That they have a crap sound is another matter altogether. :)

Jens
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

I'm not a fan of Sweetones, but I owe them a big debt. A friend of mine who is a great whistle player decided to switch to a tweaked Sweetone as his primary session whistle. This despite owning a slew of whistles which I would have thought were better, including a great O'Riordan Traveller D/C set (which he sold to me for a song, now my main whistle), Water Weasels, Burkes, and a Copland. I believe it was the conical bore tuning that attracted him to the Sweetone.

Not sure what he's playing these days, as he moved away from the area a couple of years ago.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
rodfish

Post by rodfish »

I've only been playing the whistle since January so my opinion should be understood in that vein. But I currently own a couple of Generation whistles, a couple of Oaks, (one with a Hoover whitecap) a Sweetone, a Susato, a Hoover brass narrow bore, a Waltons Little black (awful) an Elfsong copper in D, a couple of Burkes (one brass pro and one aluminum narrow bore) and a Paul Busman in Kingwood. (I already have WHOA bad) :boggle:

Anyway, to answer the question from a beginners perspective; the easiest whistle for me to play AND control is the Burke aluminum narrow bore. The Hoover whitecap comes in a close second. I love the Busman, however it takes a bit more effort to play it well, but when I do, ohh it's sooo nice. :) (To my beginners ear, anyway)

I have a Humphrey coming that should arrive any day :P and I'm looking forward to that as well.
But for right now, the Burke is the "easiest to play" whistle I own.

Rod
"A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver."
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

What I think makes the Hoovers a little less easy to play is the clogging issue, which requires a bit of attention. Also they're easy to overblow and are harder to just pick up and play without knowing how they like to be played.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

FJohnSharp wrote:What I think makes the Hoovers a little less easy to play is the clogging issue, which requires a bit of attention. Also they're easy to overblow and are harder to just pick up and play without knowing how they like to be played.
That's the thing about a lot of the higher quality whistles - they often require a bit more attention to bring out their best. When you do, their best can be magical, but they're a bit harder for a beginner to deal with.

The thing about Sweetones is that they are forgiving, consistent, and have few quirks to play around. I don't hate the sound as some do, but it doesn't really move me, either. But I'd much rather start a beginner off with a Sweetone than a random Generation or Walton's. Once they have some experience under their belt they can decide if they want a different sound. And if they get a bad whistle, they'll be confident that it IS the whistle rather than themself.

Now that I think about it, we seem to be conflating two different things: inconsistent whistles that need to be tweaked to play well, and better quality whistles that require more technique to master.

Sweetones are about the cheapest way to avoid both issues when starting out, I think. And once you've got the basic skills down you can deal with either of the others with confidence.

I think the first (inconsistent QC of many cheapies) is the bigger issue, anyway. Some whistles require more attention than others, but the even most demanding is still a lot easier than flute, or the pipes, or sax, or (my nemesis) oboe.