Which of your whistles is the Easiest to play?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Eric N
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Which of your whistles is the Easiest to play?

Post by Eric N »

Myself its a whitecap on a gen body. Mack makes an awesome fipple! But then again I don't own that many whistles.

My thought is to still buy the Burke narrow bore high D as my first "high--end" whistle. I have been told its very playable. This is why the question came to me. Which of your whistles is the easiest to play?

Also, feel free to recommend a good "high-end" whistle the would be well suited for a beginner.
Eric
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Burke narrow bore composite D.
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Elfsong D.
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
BrassBlower
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

Hoover CPVC D and E, Dixon G.
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
Kuranes

Post by Kuranes »

Dixon D
For when as children we listen and dream, we think but half-formed thoughts; and when as men we try to remember, we are dulled and prosaic with the poison of life.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Burke Session D brass
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Burke standard bore Brass Pro.
Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Leel
Tell us something.: Hi All - I am a Celtic music performer with a band called Beyond the Heather, located in the Lawrence, KS/Kansas City area. I sing, play whistles, SSP and bodharan. I've been a C&F member since 2003 but haven't posted much recently.

Post by Leel »

I second the Dixon D.

Mine's tunable, beautiful jet black with brass tuning ring, spot on in tune, and AB-FAB to play! Reasonably loud enough, and very responsive.

It's tough, too. I've dropped it often (wine and or Guinness are usually my 'sessioneers' :P )

Also, as a bonus, not quite as expensive as some ~$60.

I have a few other 'high-enders', which I love BTW, but I always feel like I'm 'coming home' when I pick up my Dixie.

IMHO,

LEE
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Thin Weasel - Blackwood
Lon Dubh - Blackwood a close second (for sale or trade)
Last edited by IDAwHOa on Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
LimuHead
Tell us something.: I'm not new here. I have been registered here for many years. I am not a spammer, though being from Hawaii, I do enjoy eating spam. Now the site is requiring at least 100 characters in this box. It would have been nice to know that bit of information before I hit submit the first time!

Post by LimuHead »

Burke composite D.
My CD! Click here to listen!
Whistle, uke, guitar, English concertina & more!: http://www.nowhereradio.com/onemanband
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Sindt D
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

How did I know you going to say that? :P
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
SirNick
Tell us something.: I love Irish music! I am mostly a whistle player but would like to learn more about flutes. I also have a couple older whistles I'd like to sell and maybe pick up a bamboo flute to practice with.

Post by SirNick »

One of the easiest whistles I have (and there are a lot) is still the trusted Jerry Tweaked Gen. It's especially easy on the wallet too!
"You have my undivided attention"
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

For me,it would have to be the Busman.I might say Sindt,except that for me it is slightly harder to half hole Cnat than to cross finger.Those are my only high-end high D whistles. However,a fellow once played my Busman, and the first thing he said was "It's hard to play,isn't it? So maybe I'm just weird.
-Kelly
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I think the Burke regular session pro whistle is as easy to play as a narrow bore and has slightly more personality. I do have one in new condition available for $110 (I bought too many). I really think the Burke whistles are user-friendly.
~JessieD