Which whistle do you......

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Whistling Willie
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Which whistle do you......

Post by Whistling Willie »

Learn a new tune on.I'm just curious to find out if you always learn a new tune on the same whistle,then once you know it do you start to play it on your other whistles? :boggle:
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Good question! Yes, I always learn tunes on my beloved Abell madagascar rosewood d.
~JessieD
feadogin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by feadogin »

I am boring, I only play one whistle (Oak). :D

J.
Bloomfield

Re: Which whistle do you......

Post by Bloomfield »

Whistling Willie wrote:Learn a new tune on.I'm just curious to find out if you always learn a new tune on the same whistle,then once you know it do you start to play it on your other whistles? :boggle:
The closest whistle at hand. Usually one of my Sindogs, or tweaked Generations, Feadogs, or Waltons. Often I learn off Eb-records, then I would use my beloved Gen Eb.
/Bloomfield
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

I always learn a new tune on a flute (usually my Casey Burns,sometimes my homemade bamboo Eb) and then start playing it on various whistles,usually the Busman first.
-Kelly
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Hmmm. Hadn't thought about it, but I'll usually learn a new tune on one of my easier-to-play whistles, usually one of my Sweetones, my Sweet Polly, or a well-tweaked Generation.

Some of my favorite whistles require a bit more concentration to play their best, so I tend to avoid them until I have the bones of the tune down. Frex, I usually learn airs as above - then move them over to a low whistle. Depends on the tune - some sound better on the low whistles, some on high whistles, and some - especially marches - on something assertive like my Sunsinger A.

Jessie's got a much larger musical arsenal than most of us, and has played most of the whistles out there; it's reassuring to see that she gravitates to old favorites for learning, too.
Last edited by DCrom on Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Nothing but flute now! My high D's hurt my cats ears so I have basically given up playing high whistles at home.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

I use my D Sindt. For me, it's the easiest whistle to play. The second choice is my Clare, brass D.
Mike
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

I learn tunes on whatever is convenient. If I'm learning from sheet music (or writing a new tune) I will frequently use my Water Weasel Bb, which is one of my favorite whistles. If I'm learning by ear, I will use something that matches the original recording. If I'm home, usually a WW E, O'Riordan Eb, or whatever D whistle is handy. (Usually not my session whistle, that's normally packed away in my backpack.) If I'm on the road, one of the Susatos that lives in the car.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Re: Which whistle do you......

Post by Wanderer »

Whistling Willie wrote:Learn a new tune on.I'm just curious to find out if you always learn a new tune on the same whistle,then once you know it do you start to play it on your other whistles? :boggle:
I used to learn new tunes on my hoover..it's quiet, and I find the inevitable squeaks and squawks to be less offensive. It's also an easy blower...I find when I'm playing more agressive whistles on a tune I'm not comfortable with, I'll drop out of the 2nd octave because i'm playing hesitantly.

Now that I've got a Burke again, though, I spend most of my time learning new tunes on it..the Hoover doesn't much come out to play.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

If I can lilt a tune then I'll play it on whatever is at hand or whatever I'm playing at the time I decide to play it. If I'm learning partly from sheet music then I'll usually pick a D or Eb whistle, whatever is at hand. Most often that would be a Sindt, Burke or tweaked Gen.
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

What ever floats my boat at the time. Right now it's a couple of Feadog C's I've been tweeking on.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
JillyKB

Post by JillyKB »

Typically I start on my Acorn because it is the easiest to play... occasionally I switch to my Clarke just because it is quieter.
Kuranes

Post by Kuranes »

Sweetone/Meg, usually. Faedog sometimes.
For when as children we listen and dream, we think but half-formed thoughts; and when as men we try to remember, we are dulled and prosaic with the poison of life.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

vomitbunny wrote:What ever floats my boat at the time. Right now it's a couple of Feadog C's I've been tweeking on.
Ahhhhh, tweaking Feadog C's. Good man, good man. :)
/Bloomfield