Why I really like Susatos

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
dakotamouse
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by dakotamouse »

I have a Susato and I'm just not crazy about it. To me, it has a sort of buzzy sound. But I've noticed that of the whistles that I have the ones with straight bores, like the Susato, are my least favorites. I seem to prefer the conicals. My favorites are my Clarke original and my Copeland.

Just me
Mary

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a
listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of
which have the potential to turn a life around. -Leo Buscaglia, author
(1924-1998)
Pywacket

Post by Pywacket »

Lizzie,

Sorry it took me so long to reply to your questions about the Susato Sopranino. In the Susato catalog, they call their very small bore (VSB) Sopranino sizes. The Soprano is a small bore (SB) , Alto is a medium bore (MB) and Low whistles are large bore (LB).

Yes, I think that finger stretching exercises helps me with my Low G fingerings. Kinda like finger yoga!!!!!!

Craig
(Is that a pennywhistle in yer pocket or are ya glad to see me?)
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

I'd love to try the VSB Soprano D, but, sigh, that will have to wait until later.

:grin:
Light spills into the hidden valley,
Illuminating the falls, paths, and
The breathtaking Elvish dwelling
Set back among great trees.
Lilting strains of Elven songs fill my heart;
I am finally home.
~Isilwen Elanessë
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I just wanted to add that although my Susato isn't my favorite whistle, it's a good solid whistle and does get used in performances quite a bit. It's too loud for extensive practice at home though...it yields headaches and an unhappy spouse.
As far as Susatos, or Ralph Sweet whistles, or any other whistle I've ever heard, sounding like a recorder: they do not.
I have some very fine recorders, historical replicas of Terton instruments, and they do not sound like Susatos or any whistles. The tone is far different.
For the curious, there are samples of these recorders on my site.
--James
http://www.flutesite.com
WhistlerWannaBe

Post by WhistlerWannaBe »

Thanks for this thread! I am impatiently awaiting the arrival of a set of 3 Susatos and this helps me know that I didn't make a horrible choice!

Deb
I'll become even more undignified than this!
(King David, II Samuel 6)
dsparling

Post by dsparling »

What whistle I use depends on the situation, but for almost all band gigs (esp. if I may not have a good monitor mix, or none at all), I *always* use the Susatos first. Intonation and volume are great. If I have a good monitor mix, then I'll use my Copeland D (I only have the high and low D).

I played at a church last Sunday with a nice sound system and used a Susato low A...it had a very nice tone through the PA. My only complaint is the finger spacing, the last hole in particular...it's a little too far down the end for my tastes.

And I almost always use a Generation for sitting around the house or a session.