Dale's whistling man on stage- Check This Out!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jashobeam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Dale's whistling man on stage- Check This Out!

Post by Jashobeam »

Hey all,

I was curious about the photo of the man on stage playing a whistle that Dale posted. I found their website, the bands name is "Subway To Sally". The guy's name is Eric Fish, who is playing on stage. The site is in German (go to the right for English), but it says he plays the flute, bagpipes, whistle, oboe and several others I could not make out.

They look like a cross between Metallica meets River Dance! The reason I posted this on a seperate post other than dales, is I was wondering what he is playing in one of the videos they have posted. Go to their website:

http://www.subwaytosally.de/

And go to "Downloads" at the top of the page. Once there, click on the second video down, to the right "Liebeszauber". In the begining, and throughout the video, Eric plays what looks like some type of low whistle, but doesn't really sound like one. Is this a whistle, or maybe an oboe?

Jashobeam
John 14:27 "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."
moxy

Post by moxy »

Ah, sorry I duplicated your post in a way!... So what do you think of their music?

That instrument sounds like an oboe to me, but looks much longer than an oboe would, no?
sage

Post by sage »

Edited to remove completly incorrect response.
Last edited by sage on Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BEC

Post by BEC »

I looked at their site yesterday.....

It's a shawm - a medieval/renaissance ancestor to today's oboe - and like the oboe is a double reed instrument.

I noted one of the other band members in a photo I found yesterday (not their official site) was playing a hurdy-gurdy. Seems these folks really like to mix in their early music metaphors.
oleorezinator
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

BEC wrote:I looked at their site yesterday.....

It's a shawm - a medieval/renaissance ancestor to today's oboe - and like the oboe is a double reed instrument.

I noted one of the other band members in a photo I found yesterday (not their official site) was playing a hurdy-gurdy. Seems these folks really like to mix in their early music metaphors.
if you look at it carefully there's a windcap, inside is a reed. it could be a highland pipe chanter with a windcap or it is a rauschfife which is a wind capped shawm. if you like this ckeck out these maniacs:http://www.corvuscorax.de/
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I listened to there song "Where's Lucky" and it was awsome I am definatly buying the CD. :D
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

There's something Spinal Tap-ish about them...

Interesting.

The fiddle player is cute.

:party:
franfriel

Post by franfriel »

Strangely compelling music! I'm one of those Heinz 57 Americans and I could feel my German and Celtic genes stirring and mingling in an unholy alliance. :o

Thanks for sharing.

Fran
8)
An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth creates a world that is blind and toothless - Ghandi

I suspect blind and toothless may not be optimum for good whistle playing...but then again...
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

They sound like a cross between Bauhaus and Dexy's Midnight Runners. Maybe it's just the camera angle but those GHBs look huge on that Eric Fish guy. He could really be playing a high G whistle in that pic but he's so small it looks like an alto G.

Cheers,
Aaron
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Interesting sound, but not as Industrial as Rammstein.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

....Rammstein. Are those folks still around? Or did they meet with an untimely inferno? :D
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:....Rammstein. Are those folks still around? Or did they meet with an untimely inferno? :D
They're still cookin'... their new album is apparently due out on the 27th of this month :)
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

Really? Dude, you just made my day. I love those guys.

That pic of Mr. Fish that Dale posted looks disturbingly like a paunchier version of me. I'm going to stick it on my fridge as a warning.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I can't stand metal but I did like the song that I found on the Subway to Sally site (Where is Lucky on their first album) what I wonder is it seems their first album was more punk influenced like the Pouges but then they went all metaly and stuff. :D
Brigitte

Post by Brigitte »

AaronMalcomb wrote:They sound like a cross between Bauhaus and Dexy's Midnight Runners. Maybe it's just the camera angle but those GHBs look huge on that Eric Fish guy.
Cheers,
Aaron
We saw him live a couple of months ago and he is not a tall guy. He is a multi instrumentalist as someone already has mentioned and has a side project doing Crosby, Stills&Nash kind of stuff. GOOD voice reminds me a lot of Rio Reiser in the early 80s. He was guesting along with Colin at the 1000st gig of Fiddler's Green down in the south of Germany in a castle. Henkersbraut who is a C&F member has a page for Subway to Sally in English which is here
http://www.destinationsally.com/

I would call their music a mixture of underground gothic folk rock, their clothes really complement the music style and most of the folks listening to it. They have some really brialliant texts with lots of of "jungian pictures painted". Herzblut actually is an album we really like a lot.

Brigitte
Wenn die Klügeren nachgeben,
regieren die Dummköpfe die Welt.
(Jean Claude Riber)