What's the hardest reel to learn/play?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Ro3b
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ro3b »

Is it really? I'm the first to confess my ignorance of course, but I've never heard it played that way.
lesl
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm Lesl, I teach and play Irish flute. Just updating my web address. Thank you for reading this!

Post by lesl »

Glad to hear Rob mention Finbar Dwyer. (hi Rob!) I have been wrestling
with Finbar Dwyer's, the Holly Bush, no matter what I do, not happy with
phrasing so far. Its such a great tune. A~AFA DAFA|~A2de fded ..
Reassuring to know its not just me.

cheers, Lesl
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I found Bunker Hill to be the absolute worst bear to learn, and I still find it the worst to play. It has some Cnats in sequences that I find really difficult, plus it's in a really counter-intuitive (to me) D Mixolydian. I'm not all that crazy about the tune, which is another factor that makes it hard for me.

One tune that I love that I fund hard to learn is the second tune in the first set from Frankie and Mairead's Ceol Aduaigh (a Tommy Peoples reel). I don't find the notes all that difficult, except the B rolls, but it has a lot of high-B's that are unaccented. It's very difficult for a novice to give it a good reel rhythm. Unlike Bunker Hill, I absolutely love this tune, and I don't find it hard to play now. My goal in life is to be able to play this tune like Frankie. Off to practice, it's not gonna happen by itself.
Last edited by chas on Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Random notes

Post by Random notes »

Hi

I tried running The Pigtown Fling thru concertina.net to get a conventional staff format, but the site claims:

No image available -- there's probably a error in the ABC source causing the conversion to fail

I took out the exclamation points and fussed around with a couple of other bits, but I don't haved any facility w/ ABC format.
Could you have a go at editing it into something that Concertina.net will accept?
Thanks
Roger

Edited:
Um, never mind. I just put a top line:
X:1
and everything is just tickety-boo.

R.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Random notes wrote:Hi

I tried running The Pigtown Fling thru concertina.net to get a conventional staff format, but the site claims:

No image available -- there's probably a error in the ABC source causing the conversion to fail

I took out the exclamation points and fussed around with a couple of other bits, but I don't haved any facility w/ ABC format.

Could you have a go at editing it into something that Concertina.net will accept?

Thanks

Roger
The only thing wrong with it is it's missing the indexing line..X:1

Code: Select all

X:1
T:Pigtown Fling 
R:reel 
M:C| 
L:1/8 
K:G 
GBge d2ed|Bdge dBAB|G2ge d2ed|1 B2Ac BEEF:|2 B2Ac BEE2:|! 
|:Beed efge|dfaf gfed|Beed efge|1 dfaf g3d:|2 dfaf gfed||!
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Jayhawk wrote:Jig of Slurs - there's a hard tune on flute or whistle, and I still don't think even Matt Malloy's version sounds good - I tell, IMHO, it's an unnatural tune and proof of the devil.
Of course it's unnatural, it's a GHB tune. The composer, Pipe Major G.S. McLennan, claimed it was the most difficult he knew of and he wrote some of the best GHB tunes... I realize some of you may think good GHB tune is an oxymoron but I digress.

It's even more difficult with all of the GHB ornamentation. A lot of the Fs have doublings which are two simultaneous cuts.

G.S. also composed one of the toughest reels, The Little Cascade.

Cheers,
Aaron
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

chas wrote: Off to practice, it's not gonna happen by itself.

Truer words were never spoken.
Tony :P
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

'The Scholar' as played by Paul McGratten. The B section has a turn that just seems to tie up my fingers every time. The tune itself is fairly simple but just getting the fingers to move correctly, cleanly and at speed is another thing altogether.
Hornpiper

Post by Hornpiper »

Brian Finnegan's tune 'Conlagh's Big Day' comes to mind - Great tune, really fun to play & I would imagine would pose great satisfaction to anyone looking for a challenge :)
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

I think "most difficult to play" is partly a function of which ones you've tried to play.

I'm still very much a beginner with reels, but of the ones I've tried some - like "Rolling in the Ryegrass" and "The Bag of Spuds" were very easy to pick up, and others just seem to confuse my ear and fingers both.

My current nemesis is "The Boys of 25". It shouldn't be THAT difficult - Bill Ochs has it about halfway through his tutorial, for pity's sake! - but I find the tune hard to remember and the fingering tricky.

I'm consoling myself with the thought that once I get it down it will seem easy (the jig "Smash the Windows" used to give me similar headaches, but now is one of my favorites) but it sure hasn't got easier yet.

Update - Sept 22: Now that I've posted about my headache, it's suddenly clicked for me. Still smoothing out my playing, but I've got the bones down. This one is actually easier to play with moderate ornamentation (cuts/taps) than plain for some reason. I'm weird, I guess.
Last edited by DCrom on Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

...Colonel Fraiser's, very quickly. Tough to give all those notes their value when travelling at near light speed.
Leel
Tell us something.: Hi All - I am a Celtic music performer with a band called Beyond the Heather, located in the Lawrence, KS/Kansas City area. I sing, play whistles, SSP and bodharan. I've been a C&F member since 2003 but haven't posted much recently.

Post by Leel »

Ro3b wrote:
Hey, Dinky's is catchy! Thanks for mentioning it.
I thought it might sound, you know, dinky.
I have it in my head (no doubt from some liner note or other) that the title refers to someone named Dinky Doran, possibly a Donegal fiddler...? I imagine him as a very angry little man, always going around yelling "My name is Maurice, goddammit!"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry to be a late bumper, but I just saw this and it made LOL!!! funny