Ivan & The Undisputed

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Ivan & The Undisputed

Post by Dale »

Yes. Life is sweet.

Anybody got any D batteries?

Love,

Dale
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

My e mail is through the University of New Orleans,
which means that there is no e mail nor will there
be for awhile....cause people are heading for
Alabama. The university is very near Lake Pontchartrain,
and everybody seems to be evacuating or out on the levee
throwing sandbags.

Have you considered a vacation in the
balmy midwest?
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Oh, darn; under any other circumstances I'd be Fedexing you a gross of D batteries, but I'm under the probability-blob too...nowhere near the ocean, though (albeit Frances created a sort of mini-ocean with catastrophic flooding in my area about a week ago). Uh...you will, of course, be giving the condo a miss? If they won't refund your deposit, sue them. We'll help. :wink:
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

DATELINE: September 15, 2004
The Associated Press

Today, in a stunning display of solidarity and sheer windpower, tin whistle players from throughout North America managed to avert the course of Hurricane Ivan, sending the Category 4 storm reeling back to sea.

"I've never seen anything like it," said Dale Wisely, the Undisputed King of Tin Whistle Journalism, from his headquarters in an undisclosed location in central Alabama.

At exactly 12:00 noon today, in response to an appeal made by Wisely earlier in the week on the Internet, three hundred and fifty thousand tin whistle players throughout the United States and Canada stepped outside, pointed their instruments toward the eye of the storm, and blew as hard as they could.

The thousands of directed streams of air converged at a point just north of the hurricane's eye and forced it to shift its direction southward. Meanwhile, the piercing overtones created by the whistles sent dogs, wolves, and coyotes throughout the continent to howling. Crystal wine glasses shattered in the finer restaurants of New York, Takoma Park, and Miami.

"The lowly whistle now has its place in history," Wisely proclaimed. "This is a great day for the fipple flute."
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Did that REALLY happen? Should I check this story out on an Urban Legend site before accepting it hook, line and sinker? Come on now, truth be told, please.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

bradhurley wrote:DATELINE: September 15, 2004
The Associated Press

Today, in a stunning display of solidarity and sheer windpower, tin whistle players from throughout North America managed to avert the course of Hurricane Ivan, sending the Category 4 storm reeling back to sea.
Ahhh....doesn't it just bring a tear to your eye? Back Ivan! Back I say! I command you to go back from whence you came! :P
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

I hope you and the family will be safe.Also thank you for the map, it confirms for me that Alabama IS part of the U.S. :)
david-z

Post by david-z »

Be kinda cool to make a giant whistle to take down with ya---Washington Monument -- hollowed out.
"Where is the Wisdom we have lost in Knowledge? Where is the Knowledge we have lost in Information?"
~~~~~T.S. Elliot~~~~~
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

scottielvr wrote:Oh, darn; under any other circumstances I'd be Fedexing you a gross of D batteries, but I'm under the probability-blob too...nowhere near the ocean, though (albeit Frances created a sort of mini-ocean with catastrophic flooding in my area about a week ago). Uh...you will, of course, be giving the condo a miss? If they won't refund your deposit, sue them. We'll help. :wink:
On thursday I'll be heading from Cleveland to the western tip of NC for a wedding in Robbinsville on Saturday. We will bring our umbrellas though the high winds may make them useless. It should be an interesting weekend. :boggle:
Mike
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I was wondering about that Dale... good luck to you and your family.
If you want to take a weekend trip just a tad further afield, we do have a guest room.. :lol: Terrific Irish festival here this Sat too!
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

Well, provided that the condo is really well built a vacation in a hurricane might be kind of unique. Rent a car for the drive down instead of taking your own. Play "riding the storm out" on the stereo over and over. Get lots of pictures. Get interviewed by the professional crazies from the news networks. Then, leave without facing the daunting task of cleaning up the mess and picking up the pieces.

Now, where is that "tongue pushed firmly in cheek" emoticon...
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Are you moving your family and whistle collection to the safety of the secret Camp Dale, which is somewhere else and on higher ground in the lower 48 states?

If you go on vaction, it might be kinda neat to play a low D in the hurricane. Just hold up the whistle with the fipple facing the wind, and you do the fingering.

You might want to consider a wind-up radio, that doesn't need batteries, I got a Grundig from Radio Shack, that I used during the blackout here in Ontaro last year, and still use on the balcony. A 30 second wndup will give you about a half hour of play...no batteries needed. There also a windup flashlight available.

Good luck and safe keeping for you and your family.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Steven, Steven...how gullible; of course, that really didn't happen....that way...We all know that it was just two whistles that turned the storm - a Copeland and a Susato both in the upper octave...
:D
Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
tansy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: OT: Ivan & The Undisputed

Post by tansy »

Anybody got any D batteries?

dale, i've got some low D batterries :wink:
i live not far from you and it does look like ivan ho we're in for a blow.
any room on dale force 1?
hang on, tansy
Lorenzo

Re: OT: Ivan & The Undisputed

Post by Lorenzo »

DaleWisely wrote:...The Undisputed Has a Vacation Condo rented for THIS COMING WEEKEND
Be sure and take a mop, some carpentry tools, and a generator. :wink:

Maybe a waterproof whistle too!