Reed Cane For Sale

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Ted
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Reed Cane For Sale

Post by Ted »

SHAMELESS COMMERCIAL POST. I have decided to open a piper's supply shop. I will begin with offering my California cane for dry-reed pipes. This cane comes from sources which produce the range of soft cane prefered by many UP makers and players. I do not have commercial quantities, as this cane is quite rare here. This cane is not to be confused with the commercial Calif. cane offered for wet reed makers. It is selected for our instruments. I sell by quantities of tubes, rather than by weight. Therefore, 10 tubes of 1" cost the same as 10 tubes of 3/4" cane. The postage may be less for smaller diameters, due to less weight. My price is:

$2.00 US per tube plus post.

This is softer cane than many of you may be used to, and some will have problems applying their techniques to making reeds from it. I will limit quantities to anyone who cannot show me a successful track record in reed-making. This cane is not for learning the art, but for accomplished makers. I am only offering cane for double-reeds at the moment. Waxes, hemp, timber, ivory and bone etc. to follow later.

Ted Anderson
P.O. Box 168
Tomales, CA 94971
US of A

Tel# (707) 878-9978
Email ted@bigsurtapes.com
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Cool.
Dionys
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dionys »

$2/tube plus post? Medir is less expensive and they're in Spain (not to mention top quality suppliers). Not to discourage anyone from using California Cane, but a price and quality comparison might be nice.

Dionys
Tir gan teanga <--> Tir gan Anam.
Brian Lee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

If you look back over some of the posts of the last few days, there has been a lengthy discussion about the quality , hardness and consistancy of the cane from Europe in past years. Ted is offering a verry different product compared to much of what is found to be available out there it would seem. And still - $2.00 / tube from which one could conceivably craft four great reeds is still much cheaper than the $50-$90 average cost of buying one from a maker.
Joseph E. Smith

Most of the pipe makers I occasionally buy cane from charge $2 per cane. If one wants to save a few bob, buy in bulk and take your chances on quality. Ted is offering a differen animal here that is tried and true to his discriminating specifications.
glands

Post by glands »

The truth of the matter is that Mr. Anderson is giving it away at this price. If you were to get 4 slips out of a tube, and I suppose it may be possible to get 5 on occasion, then you'd have 50 cents invested in the cane for your reed.

Amazing, isn't it? If 50-75 cents worth of material is not put together in precisely the right way then pipes worth thousands of dollars don't work at all.

Don't buy the pipes if you can't afford the cane or if you can't afford to reward a stellar reeedmaker handsomely for a good reed.

No fussing about the costs of cane or reeds is permitted!!!
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Quiet guys! The less Dionys buys, the more there will be to go around! :wink:
Joseph E. Smith

...uh, right. Dionys, avert your eyes. :D
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Select cane pieces from a Uilleann pipe/reedmaker?
I'm OK with that.

Good job Ted.
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

Fair enough.. Luckily I bought in bulk from Medir before the apparent issues in quality "cropped" up. So no need to worry about me buying up this rare, superb, unquestionable supply.

Dionys
Tir gan teanga <--> Tir gan Anam.
anima

Re: Reed Cane For Sale

Post by anima »

Ted wrote: I will limit quantities to anyone who cannot show me a successful track record in reed-making.
Well, laa-dee-freakin'-dah. And how do you propose we do that? Maybe I should just stop by the local zen temple and drop off a few reeds for the master to approve, huh?. :roll:

Jeff
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

I'd hate to see this cane wasted by someone still trying to learn the art of reed making, or someone who doesn't understand the difference in how it is suppose to be constructed, or how it's suppose to respond, or can't play well enough to appreciate the difference. The idea is to experiment with other regular good cane while learning. I see nothing unreasonable about that. You look at the list of reed makers that use Ted's cane, some exclusively. Can there be any question? This isn't for someone who simply claims he can make reeds better than so and so. Ted's going the extra mile to open up a source like this, and I respect the qualification.
anima

Post by anima »

whatever............
Ted

Post by Ted »

Each year, I cut up the cane that has been cured over 2 1/2 years. This year it is in short supply. A novice asked for 50 tubes of 1" dia. +/- 1/16". That would be almost all of this years stock. I propose to make available for individuals, four tubes, to your spec's, for $10 postpaid. Up to ten tubes is a large order, and is available for pro makers. Next year I will have a larger crop.

I will soon accept orders for custom rolled staples at $15, with an exchange guarantee.

Sorry if anyone finds this offensive, but this ain't Burger King.

Lorenzo, thanks for your understanding.

Ted
fancypiper

Post by fancypiper »

Ted wrote:Sorry if anyone finds this offensive, but this ain't Burger King.
:twisted: Name it "Reeds 'R Us" :boggle: