Windows XP Service Pack 2 – WARNING!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Caj wrote:.... the firewall is so fake that programs can just turn it off without your knowledge or permission.

Back in the 1990s executives snorted at the suggestion and barely spent a dime making things safe.

Caj
Has anything changed in this decade? :roll:
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Linux sure has. It just gets better and better.....

I dropped Microsoft like a hot potato in 1999 and have been amazed at the progress in the last 5 years and watching poor Windows <put whatever here> users struggle with the mysterious goings on..

I just got DSL and had no problems setting it up, but when I booted to Windows so I could tell my son how to set it, I had to call tech support..
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

After about three hours downloading on a 45k dialup line it had only downloaded about a quarter of the whole thing, so I gave up. As I already have Norton Internet Security, I'm wondering if I shouldn't just give it a miss altogether. Any thoughts?
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
tuaz

Post by tuaz »

Roger O'Keeffe wrote:... As I already have Norton Internet Security, I'm wondering if I shouldn't just give it a miss altogether. Any thoughts?
My exact question. I have Zonealarm and Norton Antivirus. I now use Firefox and Thunderbird. I never use Instant Messaging programs. Can I not bother to download the thingy?
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

I may have figured out how to turn off the antivirus bugger as well, as I have some friends that ignore me and run Microsoft Windows XP.

You can turn it off by opening the "Security Center" in the ControlPanel. Click the "Recommendations" button in the "Virus Protection" box and click the "I have an Anti-virus Program that I'll monitor myself".

I disabled the Microsoft firewall and installed ZoneAlarm and I think I got it to working properly for them.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

This thread makes this Mac user very happy. I've been away and this thread has made me think that I haven't missed anything.

Hope all you guys and gals solve your problems!

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

MarkB wrote:
This thread makes this Mac user very happy. I've been away and this thread has made me think that I haven't missed anything.

Hope all you guys and gals solve your problems!

MarkB
Yeah, once my house sells I think it it time to byte the bullet and get a modern Mac again. I have 4 of them, but they are all from ages ago. None internet capable as far as I know.

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
BillChin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BillChin »

This might help those experiencing slowdown.

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/window ... 428,00.htm

Owners of Dell Inspiron notebooks have reported that Microsoft's Windows Service Pack 2 is cutting their system speeds dramatically -- in some cases by a factor of almost ten, from 2.6GHz to 300MHz.

According to postings on Dell's support forums this week, owners of the notebooks experienced the slowdown after installing the update for Windows XP Home Edition. One owner reported similar problems at work. "I tested SP2 for a week or two before it came out and before I deployed it on my network," wrote a correspondent identified as Blane. "I was prepared for [almost] anything except this issue," said Blane, who found that deleting and reinstalling printer drivers helped.

Blane added that scanners should be removed and reinstalled as well, noting: "it seems that SP2 moves or removes some of the required dll files for these peripherals. Reinstalling them replaces the missing dlls and everything seems to run fine."
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

BillChin wrote:I " wrote a correspondent identified as Blane. "I was prepared for [almost] anything except this issue," said Blane, who found that deleting and reinstalling printer drivers helped."
Thanks a million BillChin!

That really was an unexpected and illogical solution to the problem, but it worked beautifully. :D
It didn’t solve all the problems with XP SP2 but got the speed back to what I at least believe once was normal. I can’t say exactly where and what caused the problem but in this case it seems to be related to our Samba 2.2 network. It’s strange that this conflict didn’t affect all the updated clients in the network, just a few. I have had similar experiences with samba and windows IP addressing. Hard coding the IP address instead of obtaining the same IP address by the DNS server, lead to data losses in the client-printer communication for some computers, which resulted in a slow down of preformance and printing.

Bless you both, Blane and BillChin!

/MarcusR
moxy

Post by moxy »

Hey, I was just prompted to install SP2, and I was in the middle of allowing it to proceed when I remembered this thread...

So I've cancelled the installation. Anybody know what it was meant to do in the first place? Obviously, it was meant to be an improvement, but I'm gathering by all your comments that it's actually more of a detriment than anything else...

Any advice? Should I install, or no?
IDAwHOa

Post by IDAwHOa »

SP2 downloaded (automatic update version) and installed. So far, so good. I am using XP home, BTW.