Pure Sound and Sweet Sound

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
KCJiang
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Pure Sound and Sweet Sound

Post by KCJiang »

I am confused about the definitions of pure sound and sweet sound. I thought they are the same. I believe this topic was discussed on the message board before. I just coundn't find it.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

To me there is a difference, wherein, e.g., a whistle can sound pure yet not sweet. Pure is free of chiff and perhaps focused. Sweet has to do more with the inherent tone. For example, I think my Burkes, Sindts and O'Riordan D are pure yet not sweet; but, my Abell Blackwoods are sweet yet not pure. My O'Riordan G is both pure and sweet.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
john swinton
Location: in front of a computer, whistle in one hand, mouse in the other

Post by john swinton »

PhilO wrote:To me there is a difference, wherein, e.g., a whistle can sound pure yet not sweet. Pure is free of chiff and perhaps focused. Sweet has to do more with the inherent tone. For example, I think my Burkes, Sindts and O'Riordan D are pure yet not sweet; but, my Abell Blackwoods are sweet yet not pure. My O'Riordan G is both pure and sweet.

Philo
:-? Huh
* # ~ WHISTLE TILL YOU DROP ~ # *

(or your lungs colapse!)

John :lol:
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Hey John. A whistle with a pure sound...oh heck, you're right. Too much analysis. We'll know it when we hear it, right? :)

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Different people interpret these terms in different ways, but there are a couple of interpretations that are frequently used.

Pure, meaning #1: Making only musical tones; without chiff or wind sounds.

Pure, meaning #2: Having a more "flutey," or simple timbre, as opposed to a more "reedy," "husky" or "complex" timbre. In this version of purity, the whistle would probably also have to have less wind sounds or chiff, as well. (I say this in full knowledge that there are flutes that sound husky, reedy, "earthy," "dark," "woody," etc. that would not fit the definition of flutey as it's meant here. In fact, a whistle I would call "pure" would usually be purer sounding than most flutes by this definition. The term is just to give an indication.)

Meaning #2 may indicate that the whistle produces fewer audible complex overtones, though even a "pure" sounding whistle will be complex compared to a simple sine wave sound.

"Sweet" may be harder to define. To my ear, pure definition #2 usually sounds sweet, although there are cases where it may sound strident or piercing, which I wouldn't consider sweet. Since a whistle can be "pure" sounding according to definition #1 even if it has a husky or reedy timbre, a pure whistle by definition #1 may or may not sound sweet.

Best wishes,
Jerry
alespa
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

I too find this interesting, since I have heard both terms, pure and sweet used together. I could be wrong, but in my mind, "sweet" refers to a more musical, smoother note that seems to sing, rather than play—if that makes sense. There is a website with a sound clip of an O'Riordan that to me, sounds pure and sweet, a very clean sound that is refined, focused, and sings, as if being played by angels. Am I crazy????
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

sweetness can point towards tuning/intonation content of the sound?
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Peter Laban wrote:sweetness can point towards tuning/intonation content of the sound?
Can you elaborate, Peter?

I appreciate discussions like this, even though there may be many different interpretations of a single word.

Best wishes,
Jerry
glauber

Post by glauber »

Peter Laban wrote:sweetness can point towards tuning/intonation content of the sound?
For me, it does. I think the sweetness of the Humphrey/Raindog whistle i have comes in great part from its tempered scale.

I think "sweet" is the opposite of "harsh". I think the wide 3rds that you get with equal temperament are harsh. But there are other factors that can make a whistle sound harsh. Many whistles turn harsh on the second octave, generally by or after the G.

But what makes reading whistle reviews so much guesswork is that each person has a different definition. What's sweet for me may not be the same for Jim or Peter.

The softest whistle in my drawer, and the one with the most hiss, was one that was advertised by its maker as a loud whistle with a pure sound... :roll:
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Oh, right.

Definitely, tonality plays into sweetness, along with timbre. It may be that sweetness is more subjective, harder to define than pureness, though Glauber's description of harshness as the opposite of sweetness is right on, IMO.

Best wishes,
Jerry
alespa
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

Hey Glauber!

I'm just a beginner, but my Dixon high D (non tuneable) gets harsh (to me it simply sounds unstable, wanting to move in all directiosn) once I hit the G note in the second octave. It sounds like this happens on many whistles from what you mentioned (unless I misunderstood). If this is so, how would I find a good whistle to learn on that is more consistent, with not such a huge jump? Is this a benefit of using a tweaked whistle?
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

When I'm writing a review, if I say a whistle is "pure" toned, I mean that it lacks clearly audible over tones, as well as non-musical sounds such as chiff. The opposite of "pure" to me is "complex."

"Sweet" and "rich" (another one I tend to use) are more subjective, I think. A "pure" whistle is more likely to be "sweet" to my ear, whereas a "complex" whiste is more likely to be described as "rich." Both imply pleasant sounds, but "sweet" is a more delicate sound, whereas "rich" is full-bodied and, well, complex.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Using the definitions Redwolf has given here ...

If a complex/reedy voiced whistle sounds pleasing, it might be called "rich," "reedy" or "woody." If it sounds harsh, it might be called "raspy" or "edgy."

If a pure voiced whistle sounds pleasing, it might be called "sweet." If it sounds harsh, it might be called "strident."

Again, these terms can't be matched up 100%. For example, a complex voiced whistle might be strident, too.

Best wishes,
Jerry
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

This all reminds me of how people describe the taste of wine or coffee. Maybe we need whistle-tasting classes, with Master Whistle Tasters to keep the tradition alive and pass it on to the next generation...

:wink:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »