Valerian root

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I tried catnip but found it made me go all furry.
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by missy »

Steven (norcal) the "we" is the food and beverage analytical lab that I work in. One of the R&D groups was researching the possibility of making juice drinks with additives like ginko, glucosamine, and other health benefit compounds.

And to the "homeopathy" definition, I was using it more in the general "health food store" definition, not a specific medical definition. I stand corrected.

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
caniadafallon

Post by caniadafallon »

That would be a naturopath, Missy.
Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
~Berthold Auerbach
tansy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by tansy »

i edited this down to nothing as it my have been inappropriate. :
best, tansy
Last edited by tansy on Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
irishduffy

Post by irishduffy »

toughknot wrote:Merely stating it occurs naturally in turkey meat, as within every cow is the spirit of a dolpnhin :)
Sorry to post late and OT, I love the avatar though. :)
Jack

Post by Jack »

Surely didn't expect three pages of replies. Thanks everybody. I'll take them and pray they don't kill me. :)
vadorman

valium

Post by vadorman »

Valairian root is the herb that valium is refined from, so naturally it would have a seditive effect.
mamakash

Re: valium

Post by mamakash »

vadorman wrote:Valairian root is the herb that valium is refined from, so naturally it would have a seditive effect.
However, they do have some differences, namely that Valium is deadly if used with alcohol, while Valairian does not carry that risk. However, I would NEVER recommend mixing any seditive with alcohol, unless cleared by a doctor first.
I am surprised that Valium remains on the market after so many alcohol related deaths.
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
rh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: valium

Post by rh »

vadorman wrote:Valairian root is the herb that valium is refined from, so naturally it would have a seditive effect.
sorry...
http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed/archives ... ana-2.html
http://healthyherbs.about.com/cs/herbfa ... lerian.htm
there is no end to the walking
talasiga

Valeriana officinalis

Post by talasiga »

Thank you for being the watchdog here, rh. I am surprised that people from a predominantly Euro-American background know so little about their herbal tradition. I suppose if they had herbal sessions at the pub,we would get topics about herbal session etiquette and so on and so forth.

And so it goes .....
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
rh

Post by rh »

my apologies.
have fun.
there is no end to the walking
caniadafallon

Post by caniadafallon »

Michael Moore, from the first article that 'rh' posted, is a FABULOUS herbalist. I own several of his books and highly recommend the information that he gives. He has a website available: Michael Moore

Over the years I have heard a lot of people use the valium/valerian connection but know from several sources that it is not accurate.

Best,
Ad
Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
~Berthold Auerbach
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Recently, one of the two largest producers of herbal medicines in Australia was exposed for serious lack of quality control. Herbal medicines tested were revealed to contain anywhere between 10% of the advertised amount of the active ingredient to five times the advertised amount. Preliminary testing had revealed a quality control problem some 6-12 months prior to the expose but nothing had been done to rectify the problem.

It would be wrong and foolish to blame herbal medicines for the sins of those who produce and market them. But what this episode reveals is a nearly complete absence of the controls in this country which would be standard with orthodox pharmaceuticals. Before taking herbal medicines you should not only find out what research has been done on them but also what controls are in place to regulate the products being supplied to you.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Valeriana officinalis

Post by Nanohedron »

talasiga wrote:I am surprised that people from a predominantly Euro-American background know so little about their herbal tradition.
In a nutshell, we may look in part to our earlier religious heritage, thanks to the institution of the Church, to explain that, at least for starters: herbalists, primarily healing women, came to be at least suppressed (when not outright persecuted) as being witches. There is also a concomitant tie-in to the medical profession becoming dominated by men who were more interested in making medicine an academic cabal focused on surgery, and so from the "scientific" angle herbalists were mocked as backward and superstitious, which backed up the witchery outcry in its own way. All very convenient for all concerned, and a loss to the people in general. The ignorance is still upon us, as the tradition of having continuous generations of apprenticed and reliable herbalists is lost to general view. Now, without our own research and judgment as to whom we may rely on, all we have is guesswork. It's built into the culture, now.

Furthermore, the Native American and Asian traditions have added to the confusion. We try to treat ourselves by going shopping, and rely on what information we can get.
vadorman

corrected

Post by vadorman »

My mistake