What are ye' thinking while ye' play?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
ballysodare
antispam: No

What are ye' thinking while ye' play?

Post by ballysodare »

Just wondering.....
How does everybody think while playing?
ie...what are you concentrating on foremost in your mind?

Remembering the tune?
Bag pressure?
What you're going to play next?
Do you think of the tune in a raw melodic form and then gracing is applied to it in a slightly interchangeable manner?
-or- do you learn the gracing along with the melody and then cement that in place?

Cheers
"It's amazing what you can do with a little motivation and a lot of whiskey"
benwalker
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by benwalker »

I think about all kinds of mad sh*t. such as : I wonder what that woman is wearing under her skirt OR Is that really a woman or do I need glasses.
In reality. I don't think........only play..... very Zen. :)
Sippin water of a spoon

www.benwalker.org
ballysodare

Post by ballysodare »

Fair enough...how about when we practice?

(you know.....practice...the time when you spend getting the bugs out of the way so you can play well and find out what that nice girl in the front row really is wearing underneath?)

Cheers
"It's amazing what you can do with a little motivation and a lot of whiskey"
goldy

Post by goldy »

I'm with BenWalker with the Zen approach. I'm very concentrated on technical points when performing at a Funeral, where people need to mourn without being subjected to squeaks or bad notes. When the reed is playing well at home, I'm totally off with the fairies, having that special moment where piper and pipes become one.

However, I'm thinking about the tuning most of my practice time. It takes a while to warm up the reed and then fiddle with it until it is playing nicely. If I'm getting distracted by how out of tune it is, it's hard to empty the mind.

Goldy.
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

Don't Think............ FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLL! (Bruce Lee: Enter The Dragon)
When practicing I think about certain technicalities and such.
clarity of ornaments
Flow of the piece
That sort of stuff
Sippin water of a spoon

www.benwalker.org
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

benwalker wrote: clarity of ornaments
Flow of the piece
That sort of stuff
Bra's that are a couple of sizes too small :boggle:

PD.
djm

Post by djm »

This is the mantra that was given to me by a Transcendental Meditation guru especially for my piping. I have used it so much that it now plays over and over in my mind automatically while I play: Don't f**k up! Don't f**k up! Don't f**k up!

I am willing to share this mantra with anyone who feels they may gain some cosmic benefit from it. Have a nice day. :)

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
marcpipes

Post by marcpipes »

Vulgar, licentious thoughts that would have me chucked out of the funeral mass if they knew. Sometimes I think about the tune or whether to stretch it a bit or cut it short to accomodate the happening. What tune is next? Who's cute in row five? My bum itches; can I shift position without screwing up? Why am I ogling at a funeral? Damn! I want a ciggie! Get on with it, I'm getting tired! Wow! That one is hot! Quit staring there! :oops: Yeah, it's mostly vulgar. But the music comes out nicely. :lol: Gives new meaning to "popping strap".
Um....Mom, Dad?......I'm Gaelic.
glands

Post by glands »

Bra's that are a couple of sizes too small
:thumbsup:
Last edited by glands on Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Yeah, I think about all kinds of weird stuff while I'm playing. Sometimes my mind goes blank though. It is amazing how much grey matter the act of playing uilleann pipes can consume... Don't you love it when you're playing and people just come up and start talking to you?

Actually, this is a pretty interesting topic. In his paper for the Crossroads Conference, the fiddler/ethnomusicologist Martin Dowling pontificated a bit on what separates those musicians who are just great and those who are truly extraordinary:

"There is an undeniable quality which distinguishes the finest players, something beyond technical ability. While many of us push the music out through some force of will or 'inner game,' others are able to play as if they are watching the tune express itself as an image in the middle distance."

Maybe there is something to all that Zen stuff after all...
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

Last edited by ausdag on Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

"What are YE' thinking while YE' play ?"......
I'm thinking ye will have the piss taken out of ye for mentioning the ye word twice in yer banner heading :roll:
brianc

Post by brianc »

I did a 1-hour workshop last weekend (at a ... Scottish Festival.. :o ) and kept having to stop from laughing at this little Scotty-pooch-dustmop-looking-canine that was seated nearby me... whenever I'd hit a note A' or above the dog would start letting out a bit of a "RRReFFF! RRRReFFF!"

So for the remainder of that performance, I kept thinking, "I wonder when the Lil' Dustmop is going to bark again?"

And it didn't help that the stage was situated right next to the sheepdog exhibition... the exhibitor was constantly talking and explaining - via a cordless microphone - about what the dogs were doing and why. And the large speakers were pointed right at our stage, not more than 30 yards away.

:roll:
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

When I am practicing, I usually hit a part where my "record skips" and I repeat the hard lick over and over until I get it "almost" right, then try to go through the entire tune twice with that same variation/lick just right. It took me two weeks to get one phrase of the "March of the Kings of Laois" down right. :roll:

When on stage, I sort of "go into some sort of Zen state", hoping I can make that "one" problem note each chanter I have seems to have trouble with come out right and hoping that new tenor drone reed has trained itself not to squeal when I hit that "certain" pressure I need for an on the knee note to get it in tune.

I always have the fear that I will play the wrong tune (as I have been known to do occasionally). That really makes you feel foolish and surprises the heck out of the rest of the band...

A lot of time, I have to ask before we start, "Does that set have "dum-de-diddlie-do" or "doddli-diddli-dee" for the middle tune?", especially if I am on prednisone at the time, the worst mind altering drug in the world.

Of course, if there is a braless, good looking woman in the front row with her hands clasped behind her neck, that will pretty well ruin the playing of pipes for that gig for me unless I can remember not to take my eyes off the floor while playing.... :boggle:
tommykleen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Think? Hmmm. It is not so much what I am thinking about, more what I experience. I know that I seem to hover above my body. I feel all warm inside. I see a tunnel. At the end of the tunnel is a light. A voice, a friendly, welcoming voice, tells me "tommykleen...go to the light,

...and tune your regs myselfdammit!"

:)

t