OT - rather silly question on American vs. English views

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

OT - rather silly question on American vs. English views

Post by avanutria »

This is kind of a silly question, but I am curious. In my preparations for uni I have been chatting with a couple of people from England on a student board. Recently a conversation turned to glasses styles, I forget how. Anyway, the person I was talking to said she had always thought tinted glasses to be a bit weird, almost like there was a medical reason. I know they seem pretty common around here, and many of the stores offer lenses that will tint slightly in UV rays, not completely dark, but just a bit as added protection. I glanced into Lenscrafters the other day and they offer UV-activated tints of pink, purple, and blue/teal.

So my question to Americans and Brits (and of course, other cultures welcome) - what are your views on those not-quite-sunglass lenses, the ones that gradually darken a bit in sunlight, and change to a colour other than the standard sunglass brown or grey?
Last edited by avanutria on Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Re: OT - rather silly question on American vs. English views

Post by Walden »

Yeah, I wear untinted, having reservations like the person you mention, though I would have no reservations about full-fledged prescription sunglasses.
Reasonable person
Walden
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I don't wear tinted lenses myself, but that's just because I don't like anything that colors or shades my world. They're pretty common hereabouts, though.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

8)
In Camden Town tinted shades are regarded as effeminate.
I have seen people battered for less,
Such is life in Camden.
Slan,
D.

P.S. Battered means assaulted in Camdenspeak.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I had a pair of those light changing/tinting glasses back in the 80s, but I personally think they're too dated looking these days (very retro 70sish).

Plus, I personally found it annoying not to have any choice whatsoever about whether or not I wanted the world shaded. RX sunglasses work, some nicer glasses have attachments that look add on sunglasses and look like normal sunglasses (not those old wrap around plastic things from the 70s/80s).

Eric
dtravers
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by dtravers »

I normally wear untinted glasses. However, they do have an anti-UV coating on them that stops UVA and UVB rays. They function like sunglasses without the tint.

I also have a pair of clip-on sunglasses for them... just in case I need to hide my eyes. *glances furtively around*

-Derek-
Jack

Post by Jack »

There is not as much sun in England as in, say, Arizona or some place. I'd think that is a factor.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

In a University environment I doubt whether anybody would care and a lot wouldn't even notice. And if they do care, so what? I don't have glasses like that but have toyed with the idea since it saves having to buy prescription sunglasses or wear clip ons.

Even though my graduate student experience which included nearly 7 years in England is receding into the past, I doubt if the fundamentals have changed and my students report that they haven't. If you got teased about it it would just be part of being teased for being American. Australians get teased for being Australian. There is rarely if ever any real malice in it. Just brace yourself for a little good natured ribbing which will focus on misconceptions as often as real differences. If you just approach the experience as something new and exciting, the experience will embrace you in the same spirit.

We often don't expect cultural difference because we speak the same language. First time around (England) it led to a bit of culture shock for me, but subsequestly it has just led to my expecting subtle differences and I am then not thrown when I find them.

I knew a great many American students when I was in England and I can only remember one who never really fitted in. He was a New Yorker who never quite grasped that people from elsewhere do not regard New York as the centre of the universe. Now I would have thought that attitude would have got hm into trouble in other parts of America; you wouldn't have to go to all the way to England to find people who regard that as objectionable. Anyone who's worth knowing well will see past the superficial differences.
glauber

Post by glauber »

I wear contacts, and have done so except for a couple of 2-3 year periods. The only thing that i miss from my glass-wearing times is having those lenses that darken in the sun. My eyes are sensitive to light, and those things were great. Useless inside the car, though, since the car's glasses block the UV rays that trigger the color change. So i carried clip-on shades in the car.

I've had brown and grey versions. The grey ones are much better.

My own personal opinion is, to hell with what they think! But i'm neither Brit nor American.

g
Last edited by glauber on Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

avanutria wrote:American vs. English views
Almost a pun. :) Sometimes I use puns, but worry I might make a spectacle of myself.
Wombat wrote:He was a New Yorker who never quite grasped that people from elsewhere do not regard New York as the centre of the universe. Now I would have thought that attitude would have got hm into trouble in other parts of America; you wouldn't have to go to all the way to England to find people who regard that as objectionable. Anyone who's worth knowing well will see past the superficial differences.
We just expect it of New Yorkers. :)

Actually, I run into relatively few New Yorkers around here. A close friend we met in the Philippines is a native of New York City, though.
Reasonable person
Walden
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

I think the actual color is irrelevant as long as they darken adequately to protect the eyes and block UV. I have some in the traditional grey that get just as dark as full time sunglasses. As long as they protect, I think the color is just a fashion statement, like shirt or shoe color.
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
glauber

Post by glauber »

Chuck_Clark wrote:I think the actual color is irrelevant as long as they darken adequately to protect the eyes and block UV. I have some in the traditional grey that get just as dark as full time sunglasses. As long as they protect, I think the color is just a fashion statement, like shirt or shoe color.
Mostly, but the grey ones darken a lot better than the brown ones.

I prefer grey too because it doesn't change the collors, the way brown does.

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I just ordered new prescription sunglasses the other day, Glaub, and the lady there said brown was actually better than grey...my last pair were (was?) grey but I went with brown this time, as it looked better with the frames and I didn't much care one way or the other.

The lenses had to be special ordered because I have a really weird prescription, though, so I haven't got them yet. Should be Monday. I always have to get two pairs of glasses, one normal and one prescription sunglasses, because my eyes are very sensitive to light. That's why I am wondering if the gradual darkening on the normal pair would be useful - but having them darken to grey or brown seems kind of dull and somewhat redundant :D
An bhfuil aon dearmad i mo Ghaeilge? Abair mé, le do thoil!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

dubhlinn wrote:8)
Such is life in Camden.
Slan,
D.

Oh, Lord. You had me thinking of Mars bars or fish for a moment, there! :o :D
john swinton
Location: in front of a computer, whistle in one hand, mouse in the other

Post by john swinton »

dubhlinn wrote:8)
Such is life in Camden.
Slan,
D.

How big is the chip shop's fryer.

Do you have a <i>human and glasses</i> shop :thumbsup:
[/i]
* # ~ WHISTLE TILL YOU DROP ~ # *

(or your lungs colapse!)

John :lol: