C&F Writing Competition. Can you freaking believe it?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Nanohedron wrote:The silence, heavy as a theoretical Martha Stewart's reproach for not buying only the best marzipan, was palpable. You almost could palp it, all right. It was that palpable, as palpable as the dark and stormy night just beyond the doors of the Chiff & Fipple Prose Adjudication Headquarters, where the dimly-limned Dale and Bloomie hunched like avaricious dwarves over a new trove of precious things, sorting them out, and giving the occasional bite to test the veracity of their gold.

A hush fell like soft rain upon all Chiffdom, even though you already couldn't hear a thing for the palpable silence. Emmline nervously scratched the back of her hand, which broke the non-noise.

*please contribute your godawfulllest writing here*

NOT AN ENTRY, BY THE WAY
She scratched it some more. She scratched it to a palp. Her hand was now unusable, and useless, therefore, for palpating anything. Luckily, she had extraordinarily long toes which, in a pinch, could grasp objects such as ping pong balls.
To pass the time, she lobbed a ping pong ball at Nano. Then, confused about which Nano she might have hit, she lobbed several more. With her feet of course. Her feet being capable of palpating and grasping.

The arched door of the C&FPAH opened a crack.

"Would you kindly keep things less palpable out there?" growled a voice which was, unmistakably, that of an avaricious troll.

"Dang," muttered Nano, "I was sure they were dwarves." Nonetheless, he knew enough not to let an open door go to waste, and each of him pelted the opening with a ping pong ball.

"By the way," called Nano, just before the door closed with a bang. "Do you have any inferior marzipan?"
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

ImageMarzipan looks like a bell.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Walden wrote:ImageMarzipan looks like a bell.
yes, I see...and a cute bell at that. But I trust she tastes like painfully cloying almond paste.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

emmline wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:The silence, heavy as a theoretical Martha Stewart's reproach for not buying only the best marzipan, was palpable. You almost could palp it, all right. It was that palpable, as palpable as the dark and stormy night just beyond the doors of the Chiff & Fipple Prose Adjudication Headquarters, where the dimly-limned Dale and Bloomie hunched like avaricious dwarves over a new trove of precious things, sorting them out, and giving the occasional bite to test the veracity of their gold.

A hush fell like soft rain upon all Chiffdom, even though you already couldn't hear a thing for the palpable silence. Emmline nervously scratched the back of her hand, which broke the non-noise.

*please contribute your godawfulllest writing here*

NOT AN ENTRY, BY THE WAY
She scratched it some more. She scratched it to a palp. Her hand was now unusable, and useless, therefore, for palpating anything. Luckily, she had extraordinarily long toes which, in a pinch, could grasp objects such as ping pong balls.
To pass the time, she lobbed a ping pong ball at Nano. Then, confused about which Nano she might have hit, she lobbed several more. With her feet of course. Her feet being capable of palpating and grasping.

The arched door of the C&FPAH opened a crack.

"Would you kindly keep things less palpable out there?" growled a voice which was, unmistakably, that of an avaricious troll.

"Dang," muttered Nano, "I was sure they were dwarves." Nonetheless, he knew enough not to let an open door go to waste, and each of him pelted the opening with a ping pong ball.

"By the way," called Nano, just before the door closed with a bang. "Do you have any inferior marzipan?"
No answer. The C&FPAH door stood in its mute and ineluctable probity like a painfully PC liberal. Or a rectitudinous conservative. Or just a shut door. Like quarks, such things always depend on the observer and what was for breakfast and the like.

"I think I know where we can get some substandard marzipan," said Emmline. "I'm sure that at least one of these three sisters I know ought to have some. I call 'em the Three Graces. They're always baking something, and they're cheap as all get-out. No hoity-toity marzipan for them, I can tell you. Only they're not named Grace. They're Dinah, Ruby, and Cloris. Only nobody calls them that, since they go by Nettie, Bella, and Reenie because in high school they were always calling each other Dinette, Rubella, and Chlorine, and the diminuitives just followed from there. Thick as thieves, the lot of 'em. They're probably playing canasta right now over at Belva's place."

Nano meanwhile went about gathering the ping pong balls scattered around him/them. They smelled delicately of Emmline's feet.
Lorenzo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Lorenzo »

In the meantime, Nano went back to his refrigerator to look at his magnets again.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Go soak your reed, Lorenzo. If it's any comfort to you, I had to look up "sedulous". I'd never use it. Well, maybe in the marzipan tale.... :P

Besides, MY fridge magnets serve a workaday function and come from auto parts and plastic shower curtains. Those engine magnets are scarily powerful.
Last edited by Nanohedron on Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

:lol:

You must mean "assiduous."

psssst.....we UPers don't soak reeds unless we're playing The Hurricane Reel, or Nano's Welcome to Charlie.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Lorenzo wrote:You must mean "assiduous."
:lol: We've got a new general manager at the dealership, a recently expatriated Englishman (which, given the times, I marvel at). One time, after closing up the shop for the evening, I reported to him and let him know that all was snug and battened down. He asked after the lads in the wash bay, and I actually used the word "assiduous", lame prig that I am, in describing their work ethic. Well, maybe I was stretching things a bit, but I do crack the whip when I have to. They sure *seem* assiduous then. :D Anyway, he was a bit taken aback, and asked if that was an American usage, as he'd never encounterd it. It was my turn to be taken aback, what with him being English, and all. He said that he would have used the word "diligent". Two peoples separated by a common language, indeed.

Lorenzo wrote:psssst.....we UPers don't soak reeds unless we're playing The Hurricane Reel, or Nano's Welcome to Charlie.
Gotcha. I thought that your arid locale might call for drastic measures. Just trying to be helpful. And I'll gladly welcome Charlie if he pays back what he owes me, the sponge. Until then, the only welcome he'll see will be the back of my hand homing in on his pitiful skull.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Good story. And to think...an Englishman! You might consider working part-time at the library for endless word humor.

"With his characteristic quickwittedness, Nano caught the drift of each innuendo, divined whence it came, at whom and on what ground it was aimed, and that afforded him, as it always did, a certain satisfaction."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Guilty as charged.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Nano, did Lorenzo just call you a Jenny? :boggle:
/Bloomfield
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Bloomfield wrote:Nano, did Lorenzo just call you a Jenny? :boggle:
He tried, inferring that I am a jackass of confused orientation. I am comfortable in my metrosexuality; water off a duck's back. :D
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

I only speak hurricanese. All else was unintentional. I misspelled Charley. Jenny was a hurricane in season last year, I believe. The twain shall not meet. Charley is coming on to the the Keys family as we speak.

I beg your pardon, please. I'm not under the weather. I'd rather be looking at the back side of a front than the underside of an overcast.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Lorenzo wrote:I only speak hurricanese. All else was unintentional. I misspelled Charley. Jenny was a hurricane in season last year, I believe. The twain shall not meet. Charley is coming on to the the Keys family as we speak.

I beg your pardon, please. I'm not under the weather. I'd rather be looking at the back side of a front than the underside of an overcast.
Aha. More proof, then, that I am profoundly paranoid, always reading between the lines that were never there. Still, it worked rather well, didn't it? Pardon is unnecessary, but it is yours if you would have it. :)

And now, back to the fray!
emmline

Post by emmline »

"Sniffing ping pong balls now, are you Nano, you vapid pedagogue," said Emmline assiduously collecting the errant orbs.

"Unless you'd care to elucidate a more trenchant solution," replied Nano, "sniffing will have to suffice."