Musicians Earplugs - good and cheap

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Does playing flute or whistle hurt your ears?

Yes
39%
No
61%

Total votes: 33

Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Using a Radio Shack sound level meter model 33-2050, I tested the volume of a Walton's Little Black Whistle in D. At a distance of 18" off to the side of the whistle, I was able to measure 80 to 85 decibels in the first octave. The second octave was in the 90-95db range and the 3rd octave peaked at 104 decibels. Ouch!
Yeah, I wore ear plugs during the test.
bozemanhc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bozemanhc »

What many people don't realize is that if you have some hearing loss many sounds don't seem too loud. The sound is loud nevertheless, it just doesn't hurt your ears so you don't think you need hearing protection.

Remember, hearing loss is permanent. Wear protection whenever you are around loud sounds whether sustained, like industrial noise or short, like gunshots.
Howard
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Loren,

I don't know what to say. I just hope for some sort of recovery. Be well.

Chris
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

I've had to wear these same earplugs for the last few months to play almost any tune that has a high octave A or B. I have finally gotten used to them and wear them 100% of the time when playing my low whistles. I had previously avoided tunes that went high, but so many of the most beautiful ones do, so I got frustrated and gave the plugs a try. They have opened up a whole new world of tunes I can enjoy.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Bloomfield wrote:Loren,
very sorry for your hearing problems. Awful. Is there no chance of (partial) recovery?

Best wishes,
Thanks Bloomfield.

There may be some lessening of the hypersensitivity, only time will tell, but the hearing loss and ringing are permanent I'm afraid.

Loren
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

ChrisLaughlin wrote:Loren,

I don't know what to say. I just hope for some sort of recovery. Be well.

Chris
Thanks Chris, much appreciated. Thanks too for bringing this topic to people's attention here.

Loren
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

hey buddy....i'm really sorry to hear/read that. i can only hope the tinnitus will fade...
:(
SirNick
Tell us something.: I love Irish music! I am mostly a whistle player but would like to learn more about flutes. I also have a couple older whistles I'd like to sell and maybe pick up a bamboo flute to practice with.

Post by SirNick »

I played bass in a rock/blues band for years. I was always set up with the two guitar players on my right. After a few years I started getting crackling in my right ear sometimes when the guitar crept up into the higher notes. I starting wearing musicians plugs after that which helped a lot. Even though it's been 9 years since I left the band, sometimes the whistle or certain voices (even on the telephone) start the crackling again. It's annoying!!!!! :evil:
"You have my undivided attention"
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

One of the most frustrating and annoying parts of this for me is that I've worked very hard to protect my hearing for a very long time now - I've worn earplugs to concerts, and while playing any sorts of loud music, for nearly 25 years. I rarely have listened to loud music through headphones, and (as I mentioned) I was wearing very high quality ear muffs AND highly rated ear plugs (at the same time) when the damage ocurred.

I've lived a very active life, and my body has suffered quite a bit of wear and tear because of that (torn cartilage in both knees, tendon and ligament damage in one should and one elbow, compressed disc in my back, and so on), however I don't regret suffering those injuries because they occurred in the course of living a happy and active lifestyle, and I knew the risks I was taking doing those things (Mountain Biking, Fencing, teaching Martial Arts and Rockclimbing, and the like). This (the hearing damage) just seems so senseless, because I didn't think there was a risk, considering the precautions I took.

Perhaps there is a lesson to be learned here, but I'm still trying to figure out what it is.......

Loren
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Loren, I'm sorry too to learn that.

Won't your brain kinda adapt to the situation and make the ringing less disturbing?
lixnaw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by lixnaw »

Loren wrote:
Perhaps there is a lesson to be learned here, but I'm still trying to figure out what it is.......

Loren
the burke black tippet high C does wonders for me,
but i can't stand the brass high D without the black tipped mouthpiece
(maybe i'll have to buy the black tipped version).
but i play button accordion most of the time, and i think it's about as easy as a whistle,
but much more mellow if you order a saltarelle with plenty stops like this one... Image
here's the website http://www.mairtinoconnor.com/bottompage.html
btw: i can't stand any earplugs :moreevil:
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Loren, I've been struggling with what to say here. I'm so sorry, my friend. Life with wounded ears is going to be a major adjustment, to put it mildly. My heart goes out to you!
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato