C&F Writing Competition. Can you freaking believe it?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Jerry, Carol, and Zubivka: Y'all are killin' me!!! :lol:
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Is this what you meant Carol

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
carrie

Post by carrie »

Hehe.

Well actually, it *did* sorta look like that--a big arc. The bat's face looked so...relieved. It really was so cute. Everyone standing around laughed.

And thanks, Zub, for the heads up, er, heads down, er...whatever. ;)

Carol
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

You weren't standing to close to the bat, I hope Carol, them being just weee things!

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Just had a bat flying low about the shop, skimming the floor. I thought it was odd, and then saw that it had discovered a puddle of coolant lying there in one bay. It would skim over the puddle, and you could see its tongue out as it went by. It was probably already in a bad state by the time a mechanic was able to toss a rag over it without much trouble and put it ouside. Poor bat. He's a goner, for sure. :cry:

Not an entry.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

thurlowe wrote:
By the way, apologies to those who enjoy dressing up and speaking in fake olde English accents, I'm sure it's a blast. :lol:

Cara
uh... yeah. Thought you were making fun of my breed. Except the language part with which I concur.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Zubivka
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Zubivka »

geek4music wrote:Please support the International Phonetic Association. Making the world a safe place to pronounce. http://www2.arts.gla.ac.uk/IPA/index.html
Yikes. The mere sight of this chart first left me [H].
Then wondering if men could produce uvular (non-pulmonic) consonants. :really:

Well, who cares? We pee further anyway.

(Please note Bloomfield expressly forbid entering poetry in his thread. These recent posts should definitely satisfy him...)
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Zubivka wrote:
geek4music wrote:Please support the International Phonetic Association. Making the world a safe place to pronounce. http://www2.arts.gla.ac.uk/IPA/index.html
Yikes. The mere sight of this chart first left me [H].
Then wondering if men could produce uvular (non-pulmonic) consonants. :really:
I think it depends on what we've just had to eat.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Wow: the diacriticals even cover ingressive and egressive airflow. You could accurately transcribe that bit that John Cleese did on some talk show where he recited Shakespeare nonstop, simply speaking while he was breathing in instead of pausing for a breath. It was bizarre and hilarious.
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Nanohedron wrote:Wow: the diacriticals even cover ingressive and egressive airflow. You could accurately transcribe that bit that John Cleese did on some talk show where he recited Shakespeare nonstop, simply speaking while he was breathing in instead of pausing for a breath. It was bizarre and hilarious.
Bizarre and hilarious as a diatonic squeezebox?

PS: Why do they all tell me my whistling sounds egressive?
emmline

Post by emmline »

I'm back. Philo: Hatteras still stands, as far as I heard, and I believe the new, uninvited, inlet has been filled in.
Will read entries when I run out of flotsam from the car to sort out...
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Welcome back Em. They've been hit two years in a row now; glad it stands. Thanks.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
franfriel

Post by franfriel »

Okay, here it is before I chicken out. I preface my submission with three caveats: 1) it was written in the middle of the night 2) the name used is purely fictional and I apologize if it actually belongs to anyone 3) I was only following Bloomfield's guidelines to the "T" including - "The only other rule is that your piece must either mention sex or not mention sex, your choice." So without further adieu... :wink:

SUBMISSION:

“Mention sex or not mention sex “

She wasn’t like other girls. When Dave Brennan was anywhere in her vicinity his temperature rose, his skin felt electric, his mind raced seeking the right words to help him avoid sounding like an idiot. She always smiled that tantalizing smile at him in the halls. And once she had touched his shoulder when talking to him. Then one day her breast “accidentally” brushed against his arm in the lunchroom. He broke out in a sweat and thought that his heart might stop. The pounding in his chest and his ears passed but the “rising” danger subsided more slowly. Was she purposely trying to make him lose his mind? He could focus on little else and his grades were slipping.

In class, she glided by his desk in a short skirt and a halo of golden hair. A paper dropped in front of him. Flushed, he quickly folded it and stashed it in the pocket of his jeans. The thick square of paper pressing against his thigh just about drove him mad. It seemed to be radiating the potential of its message very close to home. Unable to concentrate on class, he fidgeted, fantasized and worried. Should he mention sex or not mention sex and just let things happen? Surely her message was clear. There were no declarations of love, but written in curvaceous sexy red letters, Meet me after class.

The longest forty minutes of his young life finally passed. But when the bell rang, he found that his fantasizing had left him a bit stiffly challenged. The classroom cleared but he remained seated at his desk.

From the front of the room the teacher glanced up benignly at Dave.

“I’ll see you now, Mr. Brennan.”

He stood up “firmly” and thought eagerly to himself, Well, at least I don’t need to mention the sex.
An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth creates a world that is blind and toothless - Ghandi

I suspect blind and toothless may not be optimum for good whistle playing...but then again...
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

exciting!
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Perhaps this is the moment for me to mention that you still have today and tomorrow to get submissions in (or to cull you stories to 400 words and re-submit them ;) ).

On Wednesday a panel of judges will convene and select finalists. I'll then post the finalist in a thread with a poll, and the winners will be determined by popular vote.

Remember: Less than two days to go, keep your submissions coming!

:)
/Bloomfield