two keys on one whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
alespa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

two keys on one whistle?

Post by alespa »

Hello everyone! I am eagerly waiting for my first whistle, a Tony Dixon high D :) I recently talked to a friend who has two whistles himself, and he mentioned that each whistle can play in two keys?? Is that right? Thanks in advance, and by the way, this forum was invaluable in helping me make the first of (what I think will be many) whistle purchases.

Peace,
matt
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Yes. You can play in D major and G major on a D whistle. (That's the short answer.)
/Bloomfield
alespa
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

Thanks Bloomfield! Would a C play a F then?
lathem
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by lathem »

alespa wrote:Thanks Bloomfield! Would a C play a F then?
Yep.

But an F whistle's secondary key is B-flat (not B Major).

--
Mark
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Here you go. This will explain a lot about keys on the whistle:

http://www.chiffandfipple.com/whistlekeys.html
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Jetboy

Post by Jetboy »

Bloomfield wrote:Yes. You can play in D major and G major on a D whistle. (That's the short answer.)
With a bit of fancy fingering and half-holing you can play in the Key of A on a D whistle too. Or at least my whistle teacher said you could, I could never master it! :sniffle:
www.westonwhistles.co.uk

I am in a World of my own. But I am happy here, everyone knows me!
John S

Post by John S »

Hi Matt.
Yes by using the cross-fingered or half-holed 7th note of the whistle (the top hole) you can play a major key starting with all fingers down and another starting with the top three fingers down.
On a D Whistle this gives you D major and G major. The same scales give you what are known as the "relative minor", for D this is B minor and for G, E minor. These start two holes down from the Majors.
But their are other scale patterns called modes which have the property of key but different intervals than major and minor (using the same notes just starting from different positions.
For instance there are five note "Pentatonic" scales, four major and their relative minors, for D Whistle, D major/ B minor. G major/E minor, A
Major/F# minor, C major/A minor.

John S
alespa

Post by alespa »

Thanks guys! that was a bit more info than I was expecting :)

The variations with keys and such seems mind-boggling right now, so I'll start with one foot in front of the other.

matt
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

In the lower register, I find that I am more apt to play in G major than in D major on a D whistle for the simple reason that it's usually good to have a few notes available below your keynote, which is to say a lot of tunes have notes below the keynote, and, since D is your key note, and the lowest available, it works out thus
Reasonable person
Walden
waitingame

Post by waitingame »

Walden wrote:In the lower register, I find that I am more apt to play in G major than in D major on a D whistle for the simple reason that it's usually good to have a few notes available below your keynote, which is to say a lot of tunes have notes below the keynote, and, since D is your key note, and the lowest available, it works out thus
Which, of course is why an A whistle is useful to have at a session.
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

Actually a D whistle can play in a number of keys such as D, G, E-minor, A-mixolydian. The later 'keys' are often refered to as modes.

There is an excellent article by Jos Hendriks called Irish "Modes and the "D" Tin Whistle". You can find a link to it at the bottom of the page on the <a href=http://www.geocities.com/novairishsession/>NoVa Irish Session site.</a> It explains the various 'keys' and 'modes' available on a regular D whistle.
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
alespa

Post by alespa »

I feel like a kid ready to learn to skate for the first time . . . a bit apprehensive, but excited. Everyone's comments and encouragement is a blessing. I can already tell this is going to be great fun learning the whistle! I look forward to future postings:)

matt
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

alespa wrote:I feel like a kid ready to learn to skate for the first time . . . a bit apprehensive, but excited. Everyone's comments and encouragement is a blessing. I can already tell this is going to be great fun learning the whistle! I look forward to future postings:)

matt
No need to be apprehensive. The whistle is about the easiest instrument to learn to play to a basic level of competence.

It's just that once you've achieved that basic level, you'll also start to identify all the things you should be doing better, and the things you don't know how to do at all yet, and all the tunes you don't yet know well enough to play . . .

I've been playing tinwhistle now for about a year and a half. Non musicians might even think I'm a good player :lol: but I know I have a long, long, way to go yet. If I had to rate myself (for a group lesson, say), I'd say "advanced beginner or low intermediate at best". But I *am* playing better than I was a year, or even a few months, ago. And I'm enjoying myself along the way. Isn't that what it's really all about?
Henke

Post by Henke »

In theory there is only one major key that is natural to the whistle (and it's relative minor). A D whistle is made to play in two sharps (F# and C#) and Bm has also got two sharps. However, by the way the whistle is made and played it is so easy to play a Cnat in stead of a C# eighter by cross-fingering or half holing, so you will easily get the scale to play one sharp, which would give you the key of G major and the relative Em on a D whistle. You can play other keys aswell by cross fingering and half holing but they are harder.
moxy

Post by moxy »

There are some B minor tunes that can be played on a D whistle as well, although it's not exactly B minor (what would it be called, if the A is natural instead of sharp?)

Does anybody know a few ITM tunes that are in B minor? We were trying to think of these a few days ago, but we couldn't come up with anything...