WTB or Trade: Bouzouki

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Davey
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

WTB or Trade: Bouzouki

Post by Davey »

Hiya Lads,

I'm looking for a good quality bouzouki to buy/trade, any recommendations?

God bless
David
rh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rh »

you might want to try the message boards at mandolincafe.com ... there is a separate section for CBOM (citterns, bouzoukis & octave mandolins). also usually some zouks for sale in the classifieds there.
there is no end to the walking
glauber

Post by glauber »

I don't know nothing about zukis, but a friend of mine just bought this one:

http://www.kennaquhair.com/sn186/

If nothing else, i think it's very cool for the maker to put up pictures of your instrument as it's being built.

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

David, the Homestead Picking Parlor (if it is still in business) in south Minneapolis used to carry 'zukes' and octave mandolins. Might be worth giving them a call.
psmithltd

Post by psmithltd »

For 200$ you could get an actually decent starting bouzouki from Lark in the Morning. A friend of mine got one and played the hell out of it for a couple of years before moving onto a handmade one. I would really recomend the Lark one over the store bought ones you get at a higher price. It plays really well.

Philip

oh, http://www.larkinam.com
Father Emmet

Post by Father Emmet »

psmithltd wrote:A friend of mine got one
Do you happen to know which one? I was checking them out a few weeks ago and there was quite a confusing array. The above mentioned maker's site says a proper Irish one has an arched back and front, and the Greek a round back and flat front. Does anyone know if this makes much of a difference? Anything to avoid?
Davey

Shark in the Morning...

Post by Davey »

...I once had a shark in the morning zouk...bad news there.

Joe..the Nose-Picker is still in business.. they carry mostly trinity college at a remarkable mark-up.

I guess I should be clear. I don't want to spend a fortune (since I don't have it) nor do I wish to buy a poorly made "student / budget" instrument. I firmly believe you get what you pay for. What are some people's opinions of the Trinity College zouks? From past experience, they've had a rich tone and are reasonably priced around $300-400.

God Bless,
David

If anyone has a fylde they'd like to trade ..just LET ME KNOW! In terms of what I have to trade in exchange, just visit www.greenwoodpipes.com
Joseph E. Smith

I like the Trinitys. Their tone is rich and warm, without being too whimpy. The action is usually set nicely making for a good picking experience. Bear in mind the last one I played was roughly 5-6 years ago, therefore I cannot speak for recent models. $300-$400? That is a reasonable price.
Rebetis

Bouzouki for sale

Post by Rebetis »

If anyone is nterested there is a bouzouki for sale here
www.rebetis.com
Joseph E. Smith

Here you go djm, looks like the above site's for you. :D :D :D
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

For 200$ you could get an actually decent starting bouzouki from Lark in the Morning.
Or, you could spend the same money and get an absolutley unplayable piece of sh*te. I owned one for a while, and reckon the expense as a dead loss. The cost of bringing what they shipped me into playable condition would have been enough for a custom-made instrument from a luthier.

I have nothing but bad things to say about lark in the morning, their business ethics and customer service. Run!

Although the decline in the greenback doesn't make it as much of a steal as it used to be, Davy Stuart, a scotsman living in New Zealand makes instruments which are well-regarded on Cittern-L
http://www.stuart.co.nz/
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:I like the Trinitys. Their tone is rich and warm, without being too whimpy. The action is usually set nicely making for a good picking experience. Bear in mind the last one I played was roughly 5-6 years ago, therefore I cannot speak for recent models. $300-$400? That is a reasonable price.
I have and like a Trinity. It's only a starter, mind. If you've got the money get yourself a Sobell, Fylde, McDonald or Stuart. Since Stuart is in New Zealand and McDonald in Australia, the exchange rate is probably in your favour, but get in quick because their lists are growing as fast as their reputations. Graham McDonald built me a sensational electric bouzouki and I'd love to trade up from my Trinity for one of his accoustic models. My mandolin is a Fylde and I like it very much.