Willie Clancy Week, a few whistle and flute related pictures

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Cayden

Willie Clancy Week, a few whistle and flute related pictures

Post by Cayden »

During the Willie Clancy Week I took along the camera whenever I went out. I wasn’t chasing pictures, sometimes it’s enough being there, playing tunes. But sometimes situations occur or you find yourself in the company of people that call for the camera to come out of the bag. Often sitting in a session, I ‘d put the whistle or the pipes down and point my lens. I developed the last of the films yesterday and today I printed a few images ‘in the rough’ to see how they’ve come out.

Here are a few, they are part of what I think of as my work in progress.
Busking on the Saturday.Making a quick euro, like the rest of the locals, two young ones play out in the sunshine.

As a display of ability in the old days sometimes a dancer danced a step on a half door, taken off it’s hinges for the occasion. Here a step is danced ‘ar an Sean Nos’ on a board to a tremendous blast of flute music: Catherine McEvoy, John Wynne, Eamonn Cotter and Marcas O Morchu playing in the street.

JC Talty served over twenty five years as a fluteplayer in the Tulla Ceiliband, an exquisite whistleplayer, a former all Ireland champion on the pipes and close friend of Willie Clancy. These days. he is rarely seen playing out.

Brid Donoghue friend, neighbour my favourite whistleplayer in this world, she wouldn’t think of herself as a fluteplayer but you’d be hard pressed finding her equal.

Sean Potts. He heard me play the night before with Brid, JC, Joe Ryan and Vincent Griffin. ‘You were giving it a good blast’. I had him try my new whistle. ‘I used to have a Generation that was nearly as good as this, where can I get one’ he said.

Gary Hastings

I stuck my head in the door at Quelly’s on the Ennis Road, the McCarthy sisters were playing, Dermy and Tara Diamond, Louise and Michelle Mulcahy, Caoimhin O Raghallaigh, and Maebh O Hare. This is Marion McCarty

Frank is from France.. He comes over twice a year and always stops at our sundaynight session to play for the sets. This was in Friel’s one afternoon where we sat in with John Weir, Dympna O Sullivan and harper Eithne ni Dhonaile, the finest of Clare music.
David Levine
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Lovely

Post by David Levine »

Lovely Peter. Lovely summer here in the States, but nothng like Willie Week. See you soon enough. Great snaps. Thanks.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

That was truly delightful Peter; hard to imagine "giving it a good blast" and taking such fine pics seemingly at once.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
nancymae

Post by nancymae »

Great Pictures Peter!!! You have quite the eye for photography!! What a great photo documentary of your week! Very professional job!

I especially loved the little girls and lady dancing on the door and the harp player. Very moving pictures!

Thank you for sharing them. I have to look in the mirror around here to see another person playing the whistle where I live! What a joy to see sooo many enjoying and living the music!!

Nancy
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Peter,
What great pics! You have captured the souls of your subjects and the joy of the day. Thanks.
Mike
dubhlinn
antispam: No

Post by dubhlinn »

:D
Great pics,many thanks.

Sean Potts looks great and sounds as droll as ever!

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
franfriel

Post by franfriel »

Wonderful photo, Peter. You have a gift. Thank you for sharing your vision of the events. You captured something both serene and profound about the gathering. Thank you.

Peace,
Fran
8)
An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth creates a world that is blind and toothless - Ghandi

I suspect blind and toothless may not be optimum for good whistle playing...but then again...
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Great Pics Peter! I hope to be a part of it again next year, funds allowing.

I remember that mural on the wall behind Gary Hastings, it's in the Central Hotel, on the right as you come in the front door, isn't it?
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Actually it's the backroom but same mural artist :wink:
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

Very nice Peter -- that's what it's all about -- I'm enormously envious :)
PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\
caniadafallon

Post by caniadafallon »

Peter, those pictures are fabulous; you're a great photographer. I love that they're in b&w... one of my favorite mediums. Thanks for sharing!

~Ad
Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
~Berthold Auerbach
Eivind

Post by Eivind »

Aha so that's you, Peter! I recognize you now, from the picture on UilleannObsession...

So I *did* spot you doing something significant in Malbay after all ;-)

E.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Eivind wrote: So I *did* spot you ;-)

E.
Dozens of pipers have me on tape dropping the lens cap in the middle of a slow air during the lunchtime recitals. :P
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Willie Clancy Week, a few whistle and flute related pict

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Peter Laban wrote:I stuck my head in the door at Quelly’s on the Ennis Road, the McCarthy sisters were playing, Dermy and Tara Diamond, Louise and Michelle Mulcahy, Caoimhin O Raghallaigh, and Maebh O Hare.
Thanks for the pictures, Peter.

Here are some tunes and songs from a session at Quelly's during Willie Week. I wonder if it was the same session where you took the photos? The McCarthy sisters are on the recording, along with Dermy and Tara Diamond, including interviews with great storytelling.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/thelatesession/rams/18july.ram

Best wishes,
Jerry
stiofan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

Peter - thanks for sharing your photos with us. You've captured some fine moments of music-making. You're obviously a talented photographer (and an excellent piper, I'm sure), which the photo gallery of pipers on your website also shows.(http://www.uilleannobsession.com/extras_peterlaban.html) Though I'm far from being even a good amateur photographer, perhaps I'll bring a camera along to the Sebastopol festival here in northern California in September and shoot some pics. (http://www.cumuluspresents.com/celtic/index.html)