slow airs

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
TinWhistlinFool
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

slow airs

Post by TinWhistlinFool »

sorry im such a seldom poster :sniffle: ... But i have an itch i cant scratch, i have been craving some good Slow Airs. Something mellow, maybe some harp or guitar with it, but i just need to hear some slow airs. Does anyone know of somewhere online i can download, or if im forced, i can stop being so cheap and maybe buy a recomended cd. Maybe one of you has a recording of slow airs? 8) i just love knowing who im listening to.. it was great finding out the guy who wrote shannon's song is here, now theres a good song.
boy

Post by Guest »

The Sally Garden

Blind Mary

The Coulin

The Dawning Of The Day
TinWhistlinFool

i love the sally gardens... never heard of the others though, thank you so much.
boy
Mike J

Post by Mike J »

Take a look at Tin Whistle Tunes (aka Clips 'n' Snips). There's lots of whistle music posted there. Tunes are broken into catagories: Slow Airs, Jig, Reels, Horpipes.

http://www.tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/

Also take a look at the Wandering Whistler Music Archives. All of the tunes there are in midi format, but many of them also have mp3's as well.

http://www.tinwhistler.com/music/

Post by Guest »

TinWhistlinFool wrote:i love the sally gardens... never heard of the others though, thank you so much.
:0)
glad to be able to help.
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

I keep 'Harping on' about it( :roll: ),but if you want an album of superlative slow airs featuring Harp(and Flute and Whistle),then Joe Burke's 'The Tailor's Choice'is for You.
Joe is mainly known as a great Accordian player,but his Flute playing is also marvelous.
He plays a Boxwood Rudall and Rose.
A great album.
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
TinWhistlinFool

Thank you very much. :)
boy
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
tim-hart

Post by tim-hart »

When I'm on the hunt for this type of tune, I sometimes enjoy listening for songs with good melodies. (There's a reason so many people play the Foggy Dew, for example -- it's a terrific melody). I also like seeing what's already in my repertoire, (marches, reels, hornpipes, you name it) and experiment with deconstructing them, pulling the tempo down to turn them a free-flowing air. You can make some amazing, artful things happen...

Have fun,

tim
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

tim-hart wrote:When I'm on the hunt for this type of tune, I sometimes enjoy listening for songs with good melodies. (There's a reason so many people play the Foggy Dew, for example -- it's a terrific melody). I also like seeing what's already in my repertoire, (marches, reels, hornpipes, you name it) and experiment with deconstructing them, pulling the tempo down to turn them a free-flowing air. You can make some amazing, artful things happen...

Have fun,

tim
Along those lines I really like Skibbereen and Bold Fenian Men.

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Shyanni

Slow Airs

Post by Shyanni »

Hi! New member here and I just wanted to contribute my 2 cents worth. I really like slow airs too, especially since I am a fairly new player and slow pieces are easier to play without my fingers getting tangled up. Two of my favorites are Oatlands Air (D. Burke Socan 1997) and Dark Island.
"Nothing is as strong as gentleness,
Nothing is so gentle as true strength."
blackhawk

Re: Slow Airs

Post by blackhawk »

Shyanni wrote:Hi! New member here and I just wanted to contribute my 2 cents worth. I really like slow airs too, especially since I am a fairly new player and slow pieces are easier to play without my fingers getting tangled up. Two of my favorites are Oatlands Air (D. Burke Socan 1997) and Dark Island.
Welcome, Shyanni! No need to be shy here! Oatlands Air...I haven't heard this one. By "D. Burke Socan" are you referring to a CD? I don't recognize it, but I'm always up for a new air. :)

--Plato
colomon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

SOCAN is the Canadian equivalent of ASCAP. So D Burke is presumably Canadian.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

colomon wrote:SOCAN is the Canadian equivalent of ASCAP. So D Burke is presumably Canadian.
Thanks, Colomon. :)

--Plato
Shyanni

Oatlands Air

Post by Shyanni »

Yes, Oatlands Air is a piece I learned by ear from a CD called Pengalleon by Elizabeth Patterson. Both the recording and distributing company are Canadian, as am I. :) I can't read music, so I learn mostly by ear from CDs, and I have my own code for writing them down. Over the last month I have begun to learn to read music a bit, at least to the point where I can download a piece of notation and figure out the fingering. For the timing I have to actually hear the piece played.
"Nothing is as strong as gentleness,
Nothing is so gentle as true strength."