Dont feel like playing whistle much.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jking
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Dont feel like playing whistle much.

Post by jking »

Has anyone else experianced this. Ive been playing whistles for a number of years now (7 ish i suppose.) I have spent most of that time completely obsessed with the instrument. I've had passages of time when ive plateud (prob spelt wrong, hehe)and passages when ive been on a roll etc. Ive experianced frustrating and also amazing times etc etc. Ive even had to put it down for a few weeks to come back to it stronger. The strangest thing is that it feels like ive reached a point where im just not that interested in playing to much. (Let the stoning begin. :) )
Its been about 2-3 months since ive really put in some quality time. I went to the local session 2 weeks ago and played a few tunes and just got completely bored out of my skull. It seemed that there was no feeling or enthusiasm on my part. I have started playing the banjo over the last few months and have found it to be extremely rewarding. (I tried fidlde then mandolin till one day the "crazy banjo lady" lent me a banjo and it was all over.)Have posted a few tunes on "clips.".....Is it just a transition im experiancing? Is this how people that play more than one instrument feel that spurs them to learn another? Now tied into all this is the fact that due to hearing probs ive had to lay of the louder whistles and sell some. Please dont get me wrong im not depressed about it or upset. The fact is i dont feel much about the whole ordeal.That is what makes it so strange.
Comments?
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I think we all hit those points from time to time. Take some time off from it. The enthusiasm will come back.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Monster

Post by Monster »

Hi Jason,

Well I think I understand what you are going through, but not completely of course. You spent a lot of time on the whistle and now because of some hearing loss, and maybe other reasons you are into banjo. Hey I listened to a couple of your clips and now I want to get a tenor! Nothing really weird about it, seems pretty normal to me. Maybe your lack of regret about not playing whistle much is your main concern? I say don't worry about it, sooner or later you may regain the desire to play whistle again, maybe not. I say keep on with the banjo!

Jeff
insert uber smart comment here
JamesF

Post by JamesF »

Yeah, pick up the instrument that calls you at the moment. It's not a sin to be disinterested in the others. I haven't touched a recorder since I got a whistle (and now I have 3 and an Irish flute, hehe). My harmonica and fife don't seem to mind.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Sometimes we just get jaded on an instrument. It can happen to people who are absolute masters as well as everyone in between all the way down to near beginners. You might even go through a period when playing music isn't what you want to do.

Learning a new instrument often refreshes you for the one you put aside. Sometimes it doesn't; sometimes the new instrument is one you'd rather be playing and it just stays like that.

I bet if you do return with enthusiasm you'll be a better player for it. Every time I learn a new instrument I get a new perspective on all the ones I play already. Obviously if you want to be a virtuoso you'd better concentrate on one or two. But if you just want to have loads of fun and be as musical as you want to be variety is great.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I don't play whistles very often since I learned to play the flute. I play flutes every day, but whistles only once every two or three weeks.
~JessieD
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I'm like Jessie on this one. Flute daily, whistle only every 2 weeks or so. The whistle was my main instrument for about 7-8 years...

Banjo may simply be the instrument that truly moves you, nothing wrong with that. Then again, you may well come back to whistle with a renewed passion some time later down the road.

Eric
irishduffy

Post by irishduffy »

If you took a poll I best you would see a good chunk of people play more than 1 instrument. It lets you continue with music even if you have hit a wall and need a break from another instrument. Be happy you have the banjo to play on. :)
jking

Post by jking »

Its funny its almost like i dont enjoy the sound of the whistle as much as i used to. Ive had periods like this before but they have been a bit different. Usually for a few weeks not months and when i wasnt playing i felt guilty. This time i feel nothing. I does feel though that my time on whistle has really helped the banjo playing. Its nice to have the tunes already burned into my head. Im finding this makes it easier to just focus on the instrument not the song as well. Also ive always been a tongued triplet kind of player so i know where i like to throw them in. Triplets are the main ornament of irish tenor banjo so its like ive already done my homework/ :D
SilverStrand

Post by SilverStrand »

I'm in a slump too actually. I played a couple times a couple days ago...but lately I hadn't had the inspiration. I'm pretty sure I'll be picking it up again here in the next couple of days.
"Block out the Sun and Pack up the Sky"
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

I too,had a similar 'test of faith' re ITM in general,and Whistle in particular, not so long ago,and decided that I was spreading myself to thin-You just can't expect too play it all!(thereby lies madness!).
I think that part of the problem is that most of us on the board are 'outsiders' to this music,in that we weren't born in rural Ireland,listening to the music everyday and absorbing it naturally,as part of our everyday existence and heritage,-we've came across this stuff by one way or another,decided that it is for us,and(mostly)
consciously work at trying to get some grasp upon it!
It's only natural,I think,to reach a plateau.or a temporary burn out-it takes time to assimilate techniques,and perhaps more importantly,the 'feel' of the music.
Happily,I think that I have come out of the end of my latest tunnel,and though Whistle is my number One instrument,I was playing Uilleann Pipes and Flute this morning.,and felt that I'd made some sort of progress
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
lonewhistler

Post by lonewhistler »

...You're doing the right thing. If you just continued to play the whistle in spite of yourself, you'd be awfully miserable.
The guitar is what I've been playing the longest (for about 10 years), and I've only recently picked-up the tin whistle (a month ago). Over the last 10 years, there have been many times when I've put down the guitar for quite a while. I'd pick it up and noodle around for a few minutes every now and then, but I wouldn't be writing anything new or really seriously trying to play some music. It's kind of like writer's block. And sometimes it isn't, you just feel like not playing. Sure, I've felt a little guilty when I've put down the guitar for some time. But, I think that it's totally worth it to take a good long break from an instrument from time to time. It'll clear your head a bit, and when you finally do come back to the intsrument, you'll be amazed at what starts to flow through, and it'll be just plain fun again. So, when I go through those times when playing the guitar is pretty uninspirational, I just put it down and walk away, no questions asked. I'm not going to push it if it isn't there. And, I know that I'll come back to it with renewed inspiration, even if it's been 4-5 months.
"...patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings" - "Sweetheart Like You" by Bob Dylan
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

I will play banjo someday. I can feel it in my bones.

Robin

Post by Guest »

Hmm lots of nice ideas but there are other things about 'music' that can change our attitude to it.

I put any instrument down if it sounds harsh, I always work on making the sound sweeter but never ever worry about volume.

Try softer approach to it, try not playing Irtrad on it, try the Flute as well. The Banjo is an interesting diversion but nothing more. The fiddle is worth a serious try, but only if you can find a good tutor - since 99.9999% of the time learning on your own is a waste of time.

I do agree howver that Itrad is getting tired - even if well played in Bars and with a good belly of beer to add some sauce to the evening.

I like to relax these days with my Guitar playing finger style ragtime and the th odd blues. I am doin folk band stuff, a few songs on the Guitar and a couple of clog hoppers on Harmonica. BTW The little diatonic harp - if well played - puts the rest of Itrad except TW... under the table! all the-more-so with a neurtral non-Itrad audience.

I once witnessed an evening of Pipers, Fiddlers, Fluatists etc being wiped off the stage with one old guy paying a Hohner Koch belting out a set of reels!

IOW having fun ISN'T always Itrad on Pipes/Fiddle/Flute/Bodhran/Concertina/BC Box etc...

If you want to enter the world of 'string tech' try Clawhammer Banjo/Flamenco Guitar/Lute/Ud ( African Lute) etc. If you want to wow the Irtrad crowd on string get a Hammer Dulcimer!

Any/all of these are beautiful instruments where your knowledge of Folkdance will be a great bonus!
jking

Post by jking »

toasty you made me laugh :D . Im not so sure banjo is just a diversion and nothing more. Tell that to Gerry o'connor. Ive been listening to a good bit of irtrad on banjo and man it kicks butt. I play the flute also and yes have spent time playing around with "sweetness" and differrent styles but to me its more than that. Its nice to play something that isnt a wind instrument. Clawhammer is cool but not the sound im looking for. Also ive heard and been apart of sessions with hammered dulcimer and thought it was interesting but it didnt really stick out to me. Kind of seemd like a novelty instrument.Dont get me wrong it does create beautiful music but just not my cup of tea. No i think ill stick to the good old tenor banjo and whistles etc once in a blue moon for now.