Probable scam...

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
eskin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Probable scam...

Post by eskin »

Someone from Nigeria says they want to buy my McGee flute, sounds like a probable scam to me. I'm not going to do the deal this way, but just thought it prudent to give a heads-up to the group:

Here's the email thread:

Dear Michael,

Thanks a lot for your mail it is highly appreciated.Yes i am still interested in the Terry McGee 4-key blackwood flute and i am ready to pay you $1,600. Like i said earlier i am based in Lagos-Nigeria,West Africa.I the pictures of the flute at http://www.pbase.com/eskin/mcgee and i do hope that the flute plays as well as it looks.Please keep other buyers off the flute.

As regards shipping i have made arrangemnts with a shipping company that will be on ground for the pick up at any location of your choice and they have agreed to come for the pick up as soon as we conclude our own part of the transaction.So you dont need to bother asper the shipping.

As regards payment,this is what i am going to do,i have a Customer in the US who is owing me $5,500 i would instruct him to make out a cashiers check to you in that amount and as soon as you clears your bank,you can let me have my balance via western Union Money Transfer.I will be using part of the money you will be sending me to pay the shipping company an upfornt of there total charges before pick up is made,all you just need do is for you to be at the location where pick up is made so you can sign for it.

The reason why i am doing this is because if i decide to send payment from over here it might take a long time before it goes through,but a check sent from over there withing US would clear between 2 and 3 days.

Although the value of the cashiers check is more than the Terry McGee 4-key blackwood flute, i think i can trust you with my balance considering the fact that i still have to trust you with the instrument.

Thanks in this regard and i would be expecting to hear from you soonest.But i think i can trust you with my balance considering the fact that i still have to trust you with the item. Pls if you are interesetd in selling to me,i would appreciate it if you could get back to me so that we can proceed.

Pls i would need for you to provide me with your name as you would want it to appear on the check and your address and phone number so that i can have my Customer send payment to you asap. Thanks in this regard and i would be expecting to hear from you soonest.

Regards ,

Richard Anthony.

Michael Eskin <eskin@cox.net> wrote:
Hello Richard,

I have some photos of the instrument on the web at:

http://www.pbase.com/eskin/mcgee

Head joint has repaired crack, which is not invisible, but has not been any issue at all in the 2 years I've owned the instrument. You can see the repair clearly in the photos. The instrument is otherwise perfect and plays wonderfully.

I originally purchased this flute from Heather Martley back in 2002. The crack repair was done I believe by the person Heather originally purchased the instrument from. Oiled regularly.

Please let me know how you would like to proceed.

Cheers and thanks,

Michael

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, July 11, 2004 3:51 AM
To: eskin@cox.net
Subject: I am ready to buy

Hello,

I saw your advert on the web.

I'm interested in buying your Terry McGee 4-key blackwood flute.

I'm ready to pay you $1,600.

I'd be responsible for the shipping charges.

Kindly let me know the condition.

I'm based in West Africa.

Get back to me asap,if my offer is okay.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Richard Anthony

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post your free ad now! Yahoo! Canada Personals

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you Yahoo!?
New and Improved Yahoo! Mail - 100MB free storage!
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Definite scam, Eskin, I had the same thing happen when I was trying to sell a piano last winter. Check out this page:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/about/scams.html
An bhfuil aon dearmad i mo Ghaeilge? Abair mé, le do thoil!
David Levine

Scam scam scam

Post by David Levine »

This happens with high-end bicycles (tandems) and concertinas as well. Don't get taken in and don't give it a second thought. Here are some references.

http://www.mtbreview.com/market/warning2.shtml
With particular reference to Western Union:
"We have been receiving more and more complaints of another scam going around. This scam involves a seller who accepts Western Union or Money Gram payment only.
Or, they can pose as a buyer who will overpay and wants YOU to send him the difference using Western Union or Money Gram, overseas (often involving a "shipping agent"). This is similar to the other scam alert we have post."

http://www.maineantiquedigest.com/buzz/buzz168.htm

http://www.maineantiquedigest.com/buzz/buzz169.htm
dcopley

Post by dcopley »

Here is an email that I received recently. Not sure what the scam angle is here, but I would suspect that it involves a credit card chargeback. A serious customer over there would have an uphill battle convincing any seller that he was genuine.

Dave Copley
Loveland, Ohio

"DEAR SALES,
I WILL LIKE TO PURCHASE SOME PRODUCT FROM YOUR STORE AND I WILL LIKE
TO KNOW IF YOU CAN SHIP TO LAGOS NIGERIA, BEFORE GIVEN YOU THE LIST OF
THE PRODUCT I WILL LIKE TO PURCHASE AND PAYING YOU WITH MY CREDIT CARD
ALSO I SHIP THROUGH UPS EXPRESS,HOPE TO HEAR GOOD NEWS FROM YOU
SOONEST.
THANKS"
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

At least he was being polite! :D
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

This is so-called 419 scamming. For info (and a surreal and humorous read), see http://www.419eater.com/html/joe_eboh.htm
eilam

Post by eilam »

Michael - I have sent a Brinks armored car your way. you can spot them easily by the squarish shape of the car, and my buddies wearing bulletproof vests and carrying rifles to protect your money. Please wave to them (since they do not know how you look) and inform them that you are expecting a shipment.
Again, I'm sending a bit more than the value of the 4 keyed McGee, and you can send some back with the flute - again I'm entrusting you, since you have my flute and my money - but thats the kind of guy that I am. Keep some for your trouble, I seem to remember you live near a bank? I hope my memory serves me right because I asked them to look for you near the local bank, if not, at least you'll know where to find them.
take care.
PS - maybe put on an bulletproof vest yourself (just for a friendly measure) :wink:
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Micah wrote:This is so-called 419 scamming. For info (and a surreal and humorous read), see http://www.419eater.com/html/joe_eboh.htm
My Brother, that was pretty funny.

Mary
Tom O'Farrell

Post by Tom O'Farrell »

They even tried it with me almost 2 years after I sold my boat, must have found an old ad I put on a boats for sale forum or something like that.
Tom O'Farrell.
www.tomofarrell.ca
Dana

Post by Dana »

Whistlin'Dixie wrote:
Micah wrote:This is so-called 419 scamming. For info (and a surreal and humorous read), see http://www.419eater.com/html/joe_eboh.htm
My Brother, that was pretty funny.

Mary
I just loved it! I can relate so well. I'm trying to sell a Boehm silver flute, and I've gotten so many of these scam emails from people in Africa. One even told me he was interested in buying my car... I've been so tempted to try leading them on for a while, so it was vicarious fun to read about how this guy scammed the scammer.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

:lol: :lol: :lol: More fun than mere mortals ought to be allowed!
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

Dear Sirs,
I am the acting Prunce Of Minchester. I have a love of the Willeann Pypes.
Please help me and my principality out. Please send cash or cheque for set uf Oilleann Paps to:
Mr Dave Williams
Windmill Workshops
Waltham
Grimsby
South Humberside
UK

I am also the reiginal piper and need good quality set to entertain the masses.
Your reward will be satisfaction that a good man has a top set of villian Pies made by Dove Wallyiams

Contact me off board to give me fat juicy cheque (or Cash) for approx £ 6000 or $12,000 US

Your reward is greater then anything money can buy!
Sippin water of a spoon

www.benwalker.org
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

This guy did the same thing for my french model flute and after a while his email address shut down, same name even...Richard Anthony.